GDT: #CauseWinning: Canes @ Rongos Game 2 ("7pm" on ESPN)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Orlov with/without on the PP. I hope this answers your question, but I do agree that Brady isn't the best on the PP either. He's not near as bad as Orlov though. TDA is the clear solution over both IMO.

orlovdm91

orlovdm91

Please don't go to these lengths. It's only a hockey game and be mindful of your body.
40 minutes total in the season of a sample size is super small to try to draw conclusions from.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Nothing is changing on the power play tonight so there's really no sense in drawing any conclusions just yet. I think if they go 0/4 tonight we'll see some changes. Rod apparently spent a lot of practice time yesterday working with Power play 1 so we'll see how it looks.

The thing about power plays is they don't just start clicking over night. The good news is ours was #2 in the league, and at 25% so far in the post season. That's not great, but it's not terrible. If they can improve the power play by a little, and figure out the PK (by a lot) I feel good about their chances. 5v5 isn't a problem area.

On a side note if they continue to leave Zibanejad open, then they deserve to lose. Someone needs to be parked on him the entire game.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Nothing is changing on the power play tonight so there's really no sense in drawing any conclusions just yet. I think if they go 0/4 tonight we'll see some changes. Rod apparently spent a lot of practice time yesterday working with Power play 1 so we'll see how it looks.

The thing about power plays is they don't just start clicking over night. The good news is ours was #2 in the league, and at 25% so far in the post season. That's not great, but it's not terrible. If they can improve the power play by a little, and figure out the PK (by a lot) I feel good about their chances. 5v5 isn't a problem area.

On a side note if they continue to leave Zibanejad open, then they deserve to lose. Someone needs to be parked on him the entire game.
I think theres probably some middle ground between leaving him completely uncovered and shadowing him.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019

You know I don't even know who missed the assignment on that but he was wide open.

The Carolina players need to know that if a Ranger is driving the net (like in picture above) and a Carolina player is on him do not help him because it will lead to an open Ranger. Zibanejad in this case.

I mean Carolina has been having a lot of missed assignments on defense these entire playoffs. We gotta away with it vs the Islanders. We can't vs the Rangers.

Very concerning due to how well they played during the regular season. Can't have major brain cramps now.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
You know I don't even know who missed the assignment on that but he was wide open.

The Carolina players need to know that if a Ranger is driving the net (like in picture above) and a Carolina player is on him do not help him because it will lead to an open Ranger. Zibanejad in this case.

I mean Carolina has been having a lot of missed assignments on defense these entire playoffs. We gotta away with it vs the Islanders. We can't vs the Rangers.

Very concerning due to how well they played during the regular season. Can't have major brain cramps now.
The first goal was Tuevo in the middle of the ice (I think Staal had gone down low replacing a d-man and Tuevo drifted to far away to cover Z as he came down the middle.

Second goal was the PK and as aggressive as their PK gets those windows can happen as everyone got caught moving to the puck side of the ice. It was also 9 seconds in so not much time to get setup in their box.

Reactions: Tryamw

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
The first goal was Tuevo in the middle of the ice (I think Staal had gone down low replacing a d-man and Tuevo drifted to far away to cover Z as he came down the middle.

Second goal was the PK and as aggressive as their PK gets those windows can happen as everyone got caught moving to the puck side of the ice. It was also 9 seconds in so not much time to get setup in their box.

You know, those PP conversions were a combined 22 seconds. I don't think 2 PP's have ever been converted this season against Carolina in a game that quickly. Rangers did a good job passing the puck and Carolina players said they've never seen them move the puck that quickly.

Problem was we lost the faceoff. If we had won the faceoff that likely would not have been the case because we may have been able to clear it. Need to win those special teams faceoffs.

Hopefully we'll do so today.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Yeah - my expectations have dropped significantly after watching them play

We should be used to it by now I guess

It's the playoffs, though. You just never know. I wasn't expecting the Bruins to come in and make the Panthers look like an AHL team last night, but that's how it goes.

Vegas burned Dallas in games 1 and 2 at home. I'm sure most people assumed Vegas was gonna sweep or at least win in 5. Then Dallas flipped the script.

Thank goodness for 7 game series.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

It's been our Achilles Heel for a long time, not just the playoffs...it's why we can outshoot our opponents 40-20 and lose 4-2 because when we f*** up, we REALLY F*CK UP! We don't always allow many chances, but damn the ones we do are almost all grade-As in some games. Like the Boston game a few weeks ago where Burns COMPLETELY ABANDONED Pasta to go cover *checks notes* Danton Heinen? Allowing Pasta to just skate from the side of the net out front to roof one point blank.
Wish I was more confident..but this team is an enigma to me.

Feels like the same playoff story to me thus far. Where does the confidence and focus on the prize go?
Yea, especially the way we ended the season things were really starting to click with that first line basically all being PPG guys...we were really rolling. But every year we hit the playoffs and we seem to just sputter along and forget everything we were doing well. Our PP is lifeless, our PK goes full-struggle, we overpass...maybe we just get over-focused on trying too hard? We always seem to shoot ourselves in the foot, we don't even need the other team to "beat" us, we usually do a lot of the heavy lifting for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad