Around the League Part 5: The Drouin Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Throwing this out there:

Is there anything expendable the Canes can offer for Ladd? Obviously the price will (justifiably) be high, but if we can grab Ladd by giving up one of our young D + something, I'd kick the tires.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
As a rental or in hopes of re-singing next year? His cost will probably start with a late 1st, and if he's actually looking for 6x6, I don't see how it would make much sense.

Welp, now that I think more on it, he probably would be a good EStaal replacement. Likely cheaper with close to the same production.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Throwing this out there:

Is there anything expendable the Canes can offer for Ladd? Obviously the price will (justifiably) be high, but if we can grab Ladd by giving up one of our young D + something, I'd kick the tires.

He's a UFA right? I'd throw one of Pesce or Slavin + 2nd (maybe even the LA 1st), but a 1st or 2nd coming back our way if he doesn't re-sign with us.

Ladd would be a fantastic replacement for Eric Staal. Not as many points but presumably a 50-60 point guy and a great example to follow.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think it would be a bad decision to try and trade for someone like Ladd right now. The team isn't good enough to be throwing away picks and prospects in hopes that they can go something like 18-8-6 over the remaining games and even then still not even guarantee a playoff spot. The team is better than they were last year, but this is not the season to go after rentals that will likely cost a good prospect and a 1st. Draft and develop, stay the course.

Trying to sign him as a UFA though is an option, depending on how much he wants.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I think it would be a bad decision to try and trade for someone like Ladd right now. The team isn't good enough to be throwing away picks and prospects in hopes that they can go something like 18-8-6 over the remaining games and even then still not even guarantee a playoff spot. The team is better than they were last year, but this is not the season to go after rentals that will likely cost a good prospect and a 1st. Draft and develop, stay the course.

Trying to sign him as a UFA though is an option, depending on how much he wants.

I was assuming he would re-sign. I would not consider anyone as a rental, but as a "going forward" replacement for Eric Staal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was assuming he would re-sign. I would not consider anyone as a rental, but as a "going forward" replacement for Eric Staal.

Yeah, I figured that. I'm just not sure we can assume that he will any more than if we just try in UFA. If I was WPG and was planning on trading him at the deadline, I wouldn't agree to any conditions like that because I'd bet there would teams (contenders) that would give a 1st and prospect for him without the conditions.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Yeah, I figured that. I'm just not sure we can assume that he will any more than if we just try in UFA. If I was WPG and was planning on trading him at the deadline, I wouldn't agree to any conditions like that because I'd bet there would teams (contenders) that would give a 1st and prospect for him without the conditions.

If they are that serious, perhaps trading for his rights with the team who rents him might be the way to go. Cost a 5th instead of a 1st or 2nd and/or good player.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It'd be rad if Ladd wanted to come back "home" but I don't see us trading for any big time impact players. I think it's more likely they try to get some on for staal or versteeg who may be able to contribute down the road but go ahead and let them play out the season and see what happens

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

My understanding is that he's looking for a 6X6 contract as was previously stated. I might go 4 years or maybe 5 and try to give him something else other than that salary. But boy would I love to get the band back together.....however, I wouldn't trade squat for him. I'd wait until free agency and if we didn't get him then it wasn't meant to be.

Stay the course Ronnie. Not asset trades for any player older than 23 or 24.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It'd be rad if Ladd wanted to come back "home" but I don't see us trading for any big time impact players. I think it's more likely they try to get some on for staal or versteeg who may be able to contribute down the road but go ahead and let them play out the season and see what happens

I doubt Ladd sees this area as any kind of home. His best years were with the Hawks.

Dec 30, 2013
I'm against trading real assets for anyone over 25. Just build through the draft as we have been, don't sell the future for a couple good years

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm not sure why anyone is confused or complaining about Country Music at the ASG this year, it's not exactly a secret that Nashville is home to the Grand Ole Opry.

I get it, I'm not a fan of it, but seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad