Around the League Part 5: The Drouin Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
The main board is upset because Country music acts will be performing at an All-Star Game in Nashville.

I chalk it up to what I've now started calling "DCS", or "Don Cherry Syndrome"

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
The main board is upset because Country music acts will be performing at an All-Star Game in Nashville.

I chalk it up to what I've now started calling "DCS", or "Don Cherry Syndrome"

First, it's Nashville. Country music is what they do.

Second, apparently a lot of Canadian hockey players love country music, so it's not just a "Southern" thing.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
What would it take?

Estaal, LA 1st?

Estaal, LA 1st, Fleury? too much?

Estaal, LA 1st, Carrick?

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
You've got to be kidding on every single one of those, right?

It was a question (not an answer) I asked because it was said in an earlier post that Estaal was not enough. What would have to be added? I know they said they were interested in a young top 2 defenseman.

edit:all I know about Drouin is that he was a high 1st round pick, and apparently has an attitude.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Hopefully Tampa isn't basing anything on what their scout sees tonight and already knows how good anybody they might be looking at really is.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I would do that trade today.

Yeah I think I would too. Looked it up, didn't realize that drouin is already on the 2nd year of his entry level contract-- whoever gets him will only have him cheap for one more year. For the canes though that's probably just fine; especially if they flip and re-sign staal it would essentially be Murphy and a JML rental for a piece that would let the team compete next year which I think has been the plan all along.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's likely a first and a prospect/player better than Murphy. Probably asking for our first not LA's.

He's probably asking about Lindy too. I could see them thinking Lindy for Drouin is close.

Could they want someone like Gerbe?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Lindholm is a deal breaker for me... I can see the logic that he hasn't quite hit his potential in a way similar to drouin but I would rather hang on to lindholm if that's the deal on the table

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I would not give up Lindholm in any deal for Drouin. I can't see LA 1st + Murphy + Gerbe/JML getting it done either, though. EStaal with some guarantee/contingency of re-signing...? Maaaaybe?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Someone is going to pay something of value for Drouin. I'm not saying I would offer Lindy but if I was Yzerman I'd inquire. Similar to the Isles with Hamonic. They really don't want futures, they want someone else's Hamonic. Lindy has a similar draft position and expectations, is more advanced as a pro than Drouin despite a lower offensive ceiling. Lindy could probably find a spot with Cooper, better than Drouin.

I don't like it, but it makes sense to ask. Obviously we need to build a young offensive group similar to our defensive guys, and obviously having Drouin AND Lindy makes more sense that way. Just saying someone has to pay something of value to get the guy. I don't know that Yzerman is ready to just take a pick and a prospect. He has a playoff run to think of too, but not to the point of giving Drouin away for a rental. Regardless of who the rental is.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't see how Lindholm for Drouin would make any sense for the Canes. It's at best a lateral move at a position of weakness.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Would be exciting to see two guys who'd have gone 1st overall in almost any other draft traded for each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad