Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ok, so judgement calls shouldn't be reviewed. I understand that opinion, I just don't agree with it.

A ref can miss clear interference due to the speed of the game, and a second look might make him want to change his judgement. Which should be allowed.

Where do you stand on offside reviews? Those aren't judgement calls

I don't think the skate should have to be on the ice.

As for judgment calls, how about if a goal is scored and the ref missed a hook against the defender should the coach be allowed to make a challenge. The hook may have made a greater impact on the goal than a skate in the crease that touches a goaltender. If we want perfection shouldn't every play be challengeable?

Reactions: Goonface2k14

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Imagine in baseball a player hits a home run on a 3-2- count. The home run itself is completely legitimate – it easily clears the fence in fair territory. Then the opposing team’s manager comes out and argues that one of the pitches earlier in the count that was called a ball should’ve been called a strike. So, the umpires review, and see that they were ever-so-slightly wrong on that pitch and agree that they should’ve called a strike, and so they call the home run hitting player out on strikes, and negate the home run.

To me, the offside challenge is very similar to that. 99% of incorrect offside calls are so close to being correct (onside) that the spirit of challenging it makes no sense. Who cares if a player was a millimeter offside, if the linesman says its onside, you play on. Until we have robots and microchips in players to give us the ability to call offsides perfectly, and in real-time, just leave it up to the linesman in real time. Once you go back in time to review, you’re completely ruining the excitement for something that didn’t matter in the moment anyways. Everyone still continued to play, and the offensive team earned a goal from that point on. End of story.

Going back to my baseball comparison, now imagine that home run was a World Series winning home run, only to get called back for something that was minutely incorrect, and well before the home run. Fun times!

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I don't think the skate should have to be on the ice.

As for judgment calls, how about if a goal is scored and the ref missed a hook against the defender should the coach be allowed to make a challenge. The hook may have made a greater impact on the goal than a skate in the crease that touches a goaltender. If we want perfection shouldn't every play be challengeable?

Yeah, I agree that the offside rule should be changed, but unfortunately they decided against changing it.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with being able to challenge a missed call that lead to a goal. I would have liked it if Quinn was able to challenge the goal that was scored after Alfredsson decked Tucker from behind back in 2002.

There's no perfect answer to what should and shouldn't be subject to challenge but saying nothing should be reviewable isn't it IMO.

And whether we like it or not, video review appears to be here to stay.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Games involving teams fighting for their playoff lives are getting really interesting. Example - that CBJ and Boston game (Monday) was great.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
yes, I do. i mean, it's fair if you don't like my reasons - i mean. you asked and i gave you what i thought. refs miss things. or screw things up. you rant at them, (as is tradition) and then you move on from it. it's moved from what it was - to oh okay someone score,, pause all emotion until we decide if people are happy with that outcome. i don't think it was needed, i don't feel it's necessary, and it's caused a whole hell lot more problems than it's helped.

It's not like reviews are happening on every goal, I don't have the numbers but it seems like reviews are happening on less than 5% of goals scored.

Most goals don't get reviewed and most times a goal is scored, the players celebrate and move on but when there is something to review because a ref wasn't sure what happened or the coach thinks there may have been something wrong. they review it and get it right.

The problems are caused by the consistency of the calls, not by the fact that we have replay at all. I'd prefer they fix the process rather than scrap it all together. That's what they appear to be doing, or at least attempting to be.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The sad thing about this is it takes away excitement from the game.

For me, every time there is either a close play at the blue line or a player near the goalie when a goalie is scored, I don't get excited anymore. It's all tempered with "Oh I wonder if the goal will even count"?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

For me, every time there is either a close play at the blue line or a player near the goalie when a goalie is scored, I don't get excited anymore. It's all tempered with "Oh I wonder if the goal will even count"?

Meh, its on a small percentage of goals.

Offside challenges don't even happen very often since they changed the rule to say a failed challenge will result in a minor penalty. There was an issue with too many challenges so they made a change to the process and it appears to have fixed that issue. Closes offsides aren't being challenged as often but when it is clearly offside, there is a way to reverse the call.

Now with goaltender interference challenges, there was an issue with calls being made were wildly inconsistent. Now they are centralizing who makes the call, hopefully that issue is solved by that.

If there was goaltender interference or the play was offside, it shouldn't count. IMO, an official missing a call or the fans having to wait to find out whether or not it was a goal aren't compelling reasons to count illegitimate goals.

Tweaking video review to address the issues with it is a far better idea than scrapping it all together.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Imagine in baseball a player hits a home run on a 3-2- count. The home run itself is completely legitimate – it easily clears the fence in fair territory. Then the opposing team’s manager comes out and argues that one of the pitches earlier in the count that was called a ball should’ve been called a strike. So, the umpires review, and see that they were ever-so-slightly wrong on that pitch and agree that they should’ve called a strike, and so they call the home run hitting player out on strikes, and negate the home run.

To me, the offside challenge is very similar to that. 99% of incorrect offside calls are so close to being correct (onside) that the spirit of challenging it makes no sense. Who cares if a player was a millimeter offside, if the linesman says its onside, you play on. Until we have robots and microchips in players to give us the ability to call offsides perfectly, and in real-time, just leave it up to the linesman in real time. Once you go back in time to review, you’re completely ruining the excitement for something that didn’t matter in the moment anyways. Everyone still continued to play, and the offensive team earned a goal from that point on. End of story.

Going back to my baseball comparison, now imagine that home run was a World Series winning home run, only to get called back for something that was minutely incorrect, and well before the home run. Fun times!

That's a pretty good analogy. Not perfect but close enough and frames the problem nicely IMO. Leave off-sides to the linesmen in real time, agree 100%.

Makes me think of the Olympics where the excitement disappeared decades ago for me. Who cares who crossed the line first, it's going to take years of various drug tests and all else that goes with it until the "last" winner is announced and even then you can't possibly sure that everything was done correctly.

This years playoffs has some serious gong show potential. :nod:

Reactions: Goonface2k14

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Meh, its on a small percentage of goals.

Now with goaltender interference challenges, there was an issue with calls being made were wildly inconsistent. Now they are centralizing who makes the call, hopefully that issue is solved by that.

If there was goaltender interference or the play was offside, it shouldn't count. IMO, an official missing a call or the fans having to wait to find out whether or not it was a goal aren't compelling reasons to count illegitimate goals.

Tweaking video review to address the issues with it is a far better idea than scrapping it all together.

I don't agree with contact being interference, and that is where the bias / judgement comes into play.

Wonder if referees are going to undermine the official review, by calling more interference penalties to keep the review out of the war room.

We're almost back to the toe in the blue situation. Now the goalies execute a play to get an interference call, skate to the top of the blue and hope the opposition player has a skate in the blue.

I'd like to see more interference calls, against goalies going out of their blue behind the net and creating a pick.

I'd like to see:
  1. 1 minute over-the-glass penalties (an over the glass is ranked the same as a crosscheck, trip, slash?)
  2. no change allowed on a penalty call (the line that took the penalty starts the penalty)
  3. interference calls on forwards charging in on the defense and interfering with them before they reach the puck (defenders can't impede why can attackers interfere?)
  4. charging calls on forwards hitting defenders before they reach the puck (why is a charging penalty not called because the recipient is a defender?)
  5. interference calls on the step-back check into the opposition player who is trying to engage in a puck battle (hitting someone without puck is permitted?)
Probably have a few more while they're tweaking.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I really am shocked how a guy like Marchand was able to turn his game so much. He went from a player comparable to jvr with 55-60 offense to being the 2nd best winger in the world and a top 12 player in my opinion. He is a huge part of the Bruins turn around and is there best player. I don't like him as a player b/c of his dirty playing style, but he is so effective it is not even funny. The guy was never supposed to be this good and has proven so many people wrong about his offensive game. He's a rat, but a rat that can win you games. Hoping we can develop a player like marchand who is a bit less dirty. Want us to draft high-end skilled guys who are tenacious at forechecking. Feel a player like that could work great with matthews.

Bruins fan here. The biggest difference (aside from Pastrnak joining that line) is that Marchand never played much PP (sometimes none) before his ”breakout”. He always had high efficiency 5-on-5 and amongst the highest in the league shorthanded. His ice time got upped, and he got more quality time.

Not sure how competition compares, because they still face (and shut down) top lines, especially at home, but there might be a slight difference there too. Clode almost matched his fourth line as hard as his top-6 at even strength and when they were good they could hold their own... but here’s bound to be a bigger discrepancy there too, though the bottom-six is once again really good (was meh at best in the last three to four seasons).

Reactions: hamzarocks

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The buins have given up 3rd period leads 2 games in a row. Its clear that they mentally just tune out. They cant beat the good teams.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Boston have lost 4 of their last 6.

Unfortunately, 2 came in overtime.

Their next 4 are Dallas, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Tampa Bay, with 3 of those on the road. Then they face the red hot Panthers, then the Flyers, then Tampa Bay again, and then finish with Florida, Ottawa and Florida again.

We need to win 4 games more than they do in 1 less game.

We’d probably have to go 7-2 if not 8-1 to even have a remote chance at home ice.

AKA, book your tickets for game 1 in Boston

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
No, I am just still in shock that they gave him that contract. Another pretty meh performance from Price tonight. A very poor season to have before your big contract kicks in.
They told me in Montreal that they got the best goalie in the world and they would win the cup with him. So I asked them if they were going to pay him as he was the one.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Imagine they win the lottery and the Isles select Dahlin...nice trade for Hamonic.
It will be extremely unlucky for them and about 5 other teams that would need a lot of help talent wise, but would be denied that help. Most likely it still will be mid round pick. Enough that they would miss post season in year they were pretty much consensus pick to make it in. And west is quite soft and anyone can win there if stars align.
Dallas though missing would be hilarious. Imagine being in P.O. position for much of the season to just flop at the end. I for one was never sold on their defense no matter what expert said and ga figures.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Boston have lost 4 of their last 6.

Unfortunately, 2 came in overtime.

Their next 4 are Dallas, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Tampa Bay, with 3 of those on the road. Then they face the red hot Panthers, then the Flyers, then Tampa Bay again, and then finish with Florida, Ottawa and Florida again.

We need to win 4 games more than they do in 1 less game.

We’d probably have to go 7-2 if not 8-1 to even have a remote chance at home ice.

AKA, book your tickets for game 1 in Boston

I'd say book your tickets for game 3 in Toronto, game 1 could will be in Tampa.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I really wouldn't want to be a Calgary fan right about now

Living in Calgary and listening to their Sports radio, it is kind of good what is happening here.

Reluctantly they give some props to the Leafs now, but mostly it is bash everything so to see them fall off their high horses is soothing.

Not over until it is over but when it is and they acknowledge the lottery ticket they gave the Islanders for this failed season ... gotta love Burke. Fires Feaster and gets ready to take credit for the successful Flames and here we are right back to where he sent the Leafs.

Reactions: taurine330
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad