Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
GM's recommend situation room has final say on goalie interference.
why is the NHL so flipping dumbo?

the real answer is:
NO MORE VIDEO REVIEW.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Man, just when you thought Karlsson's season wasn't bad enough...horrible loss, so sad for them...having a child is one of life's joyous moments.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
GM's recommend situation room has final say on goalie interference.
why is the NHL so flipping dumbo?

the real answer is:
NO MORE VIDEO REVIEW.

Video review = Good
Inconsistent calls = Bad

Standardizing who makes the call will help with the inconsistency, it never made any sense to me why offside and goaltender interference challenges weren't reviewed by the situation room to begin with.

I will never understand why anyone wouldn't want video review, refs are humans who make mistakes and we have the technology to correct these mistakes, so we should use it. It is the 5-7 minutes it takes to review a play? are we that impatient?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Video review = Good
Inconsistent calls = Bad

Standardizing who makes the call will help with the inconsistency, it never made any sense to me why offside and goaltender interference challenges weren't reviewed by the situation room to begin with.

I will never understand why anyone wouldn't want video review, refs are humans who make mistakes and we have the technology to correct these mistakes, so we should use it. It is the 5-7 minutes it takes to review a play? are we that impatient?

for me it's not about we have to wait 5-7 minutes, (that's annoying and it slows the game down across all sports), but to me - sports isn't erfect. yes. they missed the call, okay that sucks, and it could have been a penalty, or a missed goal (or a goal against that shouldn't) and it sucks, but generally speaking (unless it's the Gretzky high stick (which they were never gonna call), or the Foot in the Crease (which they were never going to call back), i don't think there's been anything really gobsmackingly horrendous that it makes sense to have it.

People were mad about the Duchene it was SOOO offside call (rightly), but now we have people calling offsides after several moments in play. Why? sports in its nature is about imperfection. (sometimes too that's regarding refs), and with video review it's about seeking being perfect. and i think it takes you out of the game. Score a goal, do you celebrate,, I don't know we have to wait for them to decide if everything went okay, win a championship, well, don't blow out the streamers and balloons because video review.

I really don't ever remember this huge clamouring from fan bases that we needed video review. (or coaches challenges etc).

i feel it would be better if we didn't have it.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
for me it's not about we have to wait 5-7 minutes, (that's annoying and it slows the game down across all sports), but to me - sports isn't erfect. yes. they missed the call, okay that sucks, and it could have been a penalty, or a missed goal (or a goal against that shouldn't) and it sucks, but generally speaking (unless it's the Gretzky high stick (which they were never gonna call), or the Foot in the Crease (which they were never going to call back), i don't think there's been anything really gobsmackingly horrendous that it makes sense to have it.

People were mad about the Duchene it was SOOO offside call (rightly), but now we have people calling offsides after several moments in play. Why? sports in its nature is about imperfection. (sometimes too that's regarding refs), and with video review it's about seeking being perfect. and i think it takes you out of the game. Score a goal, do you celebrate,, I don't know we have to wait for them to decide if everything went okay, win a championship, well, don't blow out the streamers and balloons because video review.

I really don't ever remember this huge clamouring from fan bases that we needed video review. (or coaches challenges etc).

Do you feel this way about all video review? Even goals scored by high sticks or kicking motions? Even to check if the puck crossed the line? There have been plenty of times where refs have missed pucks crossing the line, do you think these incorrect calls should have stood because sports is about imperfection?

If a player interferes with a goalie and that allows him to score a goal that wouldn't have not been scored otherwise, None of your reasons for not reviewing the play are good enough (sports is about imperfection, players don't know whether or not to celebrate) to allow a goal like that to stand.

The concept of video review is good, it has just been executed poorly and inconsistently. Allowing incorrect calls to stand when we have the technology to review and correct them would be stupid IMO. I'm glad the league is trying to fix it rather than scrap it altogether.

Anyways, regardless of what you or I think, it appears that video review and coach's challenges are here to stay.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens

I couldn’t agree more on your point about the offside review, and how it’s existence now means we are hesitant to celebrate after goals because hey, maybe the play was offside 30 seconds prior to the goal. It ruins the beautiful spontaneity of celebrating a goal in the moment.
For sure, certain blatant actions that lead to the puck going into the net should be up for review (e.g. kicking the puck, throwing the puck, blatant goalie interference), but others, especially the offside challenge, should never be up for review or challenge. Because if a linesman misses a call due to a player’s skate being a millimeter off the ice, does it really effect the rest of the play? Nope. The players continue to play as if the play was onside, and we move on with the game. We should simply live with the linesman’s call for better or for worse (as we always have up until this stupid challenge was put into play), and hope to never see another Matt Duchene incident again. The GMs/owners need to realize how the offside challenge is a) meaningless in the grand scheme of things and b) it takes away from the fan experience of celebrating goals, which is kind of important.

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Do you feel this way about all video review? Even goals scored by high sticks or kicking motions? Even to check if the puck crossed the line? There have been plenty of times where refs have missed pucks crossing the line, do you think these incorrect calls should have stood because sports is about imperfection?

If a player interferes with a goalie and that allows him to score a goal that wouldn't have not been scored otherwise, None of your reasons for not reviewing the play are good enough (sports is about imperfection, players don't know whether or not to celebrate) to allow a goal like that to stand.

The concept of video review is good, it has just been executed poorly and inconsistently. Allowing incorrect calls to stand when we have the technology to review and correct them would be stupid IMO. I'm glad the league is trying to fix it rather than scrap it altogether.

Anyways, regardless of what you or I think, it appears that video review and coach's challenges are here to stay.

Well, in some cases judgment isn't involved.

0 or 1

Subjective calls are subjective.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I couldn’t agree more on your point about the offside review, and how it’s existence now means we are hesitant to celebrate after goals because hey, maybe the play was offside 30 seconds prior to the goal. It ruins the beautiful spontaneity of celebrating a goal in the moment.

I'd have to say the reviews have made the game almost joyless at times.

If there is any doubt I don't really get that excited on goals now.

You don't celebrate goals, you celebrate reviews that support or deny the event happened.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I'd have to say the reviews have made the game almost joyless at times.

If there is any doubt I don't really get that excited on goals now.

You don't celebrate goals, you celebrate reviews that support or deny the event happened.

That's not a good reason to allow incorrect or missed calls to stand IMO.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Well, in some cases judgment isn't involved.

0 or 1

Subjective calls are subjective.

Ok, so judgement calls shouldn't be reviewed. I understand that opinion, I just don't agree with it.

A ref can miss clear interference due to the speed of the game, and a second look might make him want to change his judgement. Which should be allowed.

Where do you stand on offside reviews? Those aren't judgement calls

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

yes, I do. i mean, it's fair if you don't like my reasons - i mean. you asked and i gave you what i thought. refs miss things. or screw things up. you rant at them, (as is tradition) and then you move on from it. it's moved from what it was - to oh okay someone score,, pause all emotion until we decide if people are happy with that outcome. i don't think it was needed, i don't feel it's necessary, and it's caused a whole hell lot more problems than it's helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad