Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Flames talking heads speaking of the Hamonic deal, and saying Hamonic is Hamonic, but Brodie needs to go.

Goalie Smith has dropped off completely from his 1st. half season and maybe shouldn't even be playing with whatever injury sidelined him.

Only forward they're giving a pass to is Gaudreau, and some props to Hamilton, top 10 offensive players in respective positions (Hamilton 1st. in goals not points).

I can see the Flames making some big moves this summer, perhaps on and off the ice.

Brian Burke having another strong impact on the success of another franchise.

Flames foolishly gave away a 1st round non lottery protected pick for Hamonic this last summer based on arrogance again, that it wouldn't cost them .ie Kessel trade in the past.

It would be quite fitting now if the NYI won a lottery pick and got a #1-#3 pick in the draft and even ended up with Rasmus Dahlin.

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
`
Brian Burke having another strong impact on the success of another franchise.

Flames foolishly gave away a non lottery protected pick for Hamonic this last summer based on arrogance again, that it wouldn't cost them .ie Kessel trade in the past.

It would be outstanding if the NYI won a lottery pick and got a #1-#3 pick in the draft and even ended up with Rasmus Dahlin.

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

you realise that Treliving is the GM right?
Smith went down at the wrong time, and looks shaky now, and they are having trouble scoring.
I hate Burke but honestly they could have kept their first round pick, and still be in this situation.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
`

Smith went down at the wrong time, and looks shaky now, and they are having trouble scoring.
I hate Burke but honestly they could have kept their first round pick, and still be in this situation.

Calgary was coming off a season as a playoff team, so I somewhat understand the idea. Still, if they miss out this season and the draft lottery significantly works against them (like Philly's big jump to get Nolan Patrick, or worse), the execution will be costly no matter how sound the intention might have been, and that's what will matter.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I can't help to love it
And yet part of me feels bad for them. Nope, nope it passed :)

I actually want them to get good again and not to take too many years doing it (get there while we're still good, should be plenty of time). Nothing, and I mean nothing gets me pumped up the way a Leafs-Habs playoff series would.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I actually want them to get good again and not to take too many years doing it (get there while we're still good, should be plenty of time). Nothing, and I mean nothing gets me pumped up the way a Leafs-Habs playoff series would.

Agreed. I initially disliked our move to the Eastern Conference for the reason that a Leafs-Habs SCF could no longer be possible.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed. I initially disliked our move to the Eastern Conference for the reason that a Leafs-Habs SCF could no longer be possible.

I would console myself with the thought that while a Leafs-Habs final would be the proverbial dream come true, the odds against this happening would be enormous whereas with them in the same division, facing them in the playoffs could happen multiple times and that would be pretty awesome too, plus less chance of having an actual heart attack while watching the games.

I get where you're coming from though, the Leafs falling just short of playing MTL in the 1993 finals is by far the biggest disappointment of my life when it comes to all the sports I've followed over the years, nothing even comes close. In fact nothing is even remotely in the same ballpark and unless we do meet and beat them in the finals some day (highly doubtful), I will take that disappointment with me to my grave.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
and detroit moving means we don't get that either :(

Unfortunately another historical rivalry that's now an ECF at best. Happy to have memories there of a great series capped off by a thrilling OT winner in Game 7.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I would console myself with the thought that while a Leafs-Habs final would be the proverbial dream come true, the odds against this happening would be enormous whereas with them in the same division, facing them in the playoffs could happen multiple times and that would be pretty awesome too, plus less chance of having an actual heart attack while watching the games.

I get where you're coming from though, the Leafs falling just short of playing MTL in the 1993 finals is by far the biggest disappointment of my life when it comes to all the sports I've followed over the years, nothing even comes close. In fact nothing is even remotely in the same ballpark and unless we do meet and beat them in the finals some day (highly doubtful), I will take that disappointment with me to my grave.

Good point about the chances of meeting them in the playoffs increasing, even if the stakes aren't the absolute highest. I look at any playoff opponent as a rival nowadays, but that specific SCF would've been something incredibly special.

Last edited:

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Flames talking heads speaking of the Hamonic deal, and saying Hamonic is Hamonic, but Brodie needs to go.

Goalie Smith has dropped off completely from his 1st. half season and maybe shouldn't even be playing with whatever injury sidelined him.

Only forward they're giving a pass to is Gaudreau, and some props to Hamilton, top 10 offensive players in respective positions (Hamilton 1st. in goals not points).

I can see the Flames making some big moves this summer, perhaps on and off the ice.

Monahan is a fine player too, but their offensive depth is absolutely terrible and it was plain to see coming into the season. Guys like Stajan, Lazar, Hathaway shouldn't be everyday NHLers.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
`

I'm of the opinion that with the NHL league parity and draft structure you should never trade your 1st without lottery protection before the season starts

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm of the opinion that with the NHL league parity and draft structure you should never trade your 1st without lottery protection before the season starts

yeup.
and if the team says no that should be a clue to you.
however at the same time you technically shouldn't have to. but.. yah. dumbo parity.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
yeup.
and if the team says no that should be a clue to you.
however at the same time you technically shouldn't have to. but.. yah. dumbo parity.

Parity is fine Daisy, you just can't pretend it's not a thing when you start handing out 1st rounders

I still believe the original Kessel trade set us back 2-3 years

Reactions: ULF_55

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Parity is fine Daisy, you just can't pretend it's not a thing when you start handing out 1st rounders

I still believe the original Kessel trade set us back 2-3 years

nah. poor drafting, development and signing put us back.
honestly if we didn't make the trade, i 100 percent guarantee Hall/Whomever gets traded anyway.

also. parity sucks. lol

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
honestly if we didn't make the trade, i 100 percent guarantee Hall/Whomever gets traded anyway.

Why do you think that? I would understand if you said that Hall/Whomever wouldn't have become a great a player under the Leafs' development. But I couldn't foresee the Leafs trading such a player they drafted that highly.

Also, I do too think the initial Kessel trade set the Leafs back 2 to 4 years. Really good player; horrific timing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
`

I don’t think you can separate the two for major decisions.

Ie Lou with the Leafs isn’t doing anything with his boss’ (Shanahan) approval

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Why do you think that? I would understand if you said that Hall/Whomever wouldn't have become a great a player under the Leafs' development. But I couldn't foresee the Leafs trading such a player they drafted that highly.

Also, I do too think the initial Kessel trade set the Leafs back 2 to 4 years. Really good player; horrific timing.

ehh. impatience. lack of development, and thus being traded
hell. Edmonton had Hall and traded him anyway and he wasn't the issue there at all. so.. who knows

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don’t think you can separate the two for major decisions.

Ie Lou with the Leafs isn’t doing anything with his boss’ (Shanahan) approval

right.
however, I doubt Shanahan would go down there ad be like "trade a first round pick for ___."
and as much as I don't want to defend Burke, i doubt he's going down there to Treliving and saying "trade a first round pick." i'd imagine, that Lou (or Treliving) would come up with the idea, and explain why they think it would work. Treliving doesn't scream "puppet" to me. but i could be wrong.

i know Harmonic is getting a lot of poop thrown his way but i don't think it was a necessarily a bad trade (or if we had done it, we'd regret it). he's having a tough first year. that doesn't mean he won't be a good part of the puzzle for Calgary next year, it just sucked this year. (and if it sucks for the whole trade well whomp whomp, then we can be all "phew"). they couldn't score, and their goalie got hurt which is a huge issue when you can't score. I know a lot of Flames Fans don't like the coach either but theFlames were projected to at least make the playoffs, and having a better defense helps that cause. the cookie crumbled badly. but it wasn't. "they missed, and then they doubled down and then really missed."

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

also. parity sucks. lol

Seguin and Hamilton were taken with those two picks, that's a genuine #1C and top pair D, that's a huge injection of high end talent

Image us with those two added right now?

Even Burke/Nonis couldn't wreck Rielly/Kadri/Gardiner/JVR/Bozak/Komarov as much as they seemed to try

I don't mind parity I just don't like how the league seems to go out of there way to contrive it with the insane points system

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy Jane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad