Around the League - Is it Playoffs Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm sure he is comfortable with the Islanders, but it's around another 3 years before they have a new arena, and that has to have some impact on his decision.

I don't see the Leafs competing with some of the offers he's going to receive.

Sharks could give JT JT's 8 million and throw in another 3 without a sweat.

Columbus needs scoring and they have a cap space.

What about the 1 year $16 mil deal for next year (before Matthews raise) and then the 8 X $9.25 mil for and AAV of $10.0 mil for JT the next 9 years, but only a cap hit of $9.25 mil to play in TO?.

Basically overpaying by $6 mil on the 1 year deal to bring the AAV all other years to $9.25 mil AAV. JT still get $90 mil total over 9.

Is some team like say SJ your example give JT $8 and toss in $3 more = $11 and by 7 years = $77 mil over 7.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What about the 1 year $16 mil deal for next year (before Matthews raise) and then the 8 X $9.25 mil for and AAV of $10.0 mil for JT the next 9 years, but only a cap hit of $9.25 mil to play in TO?.

Basically overpaying by $6 mil on the 1 year deal to bring the AAV all other years to $9.25 mil AAV. JT still get $90 mil total over 9.

Is some team like say SJ your example give JT $8 and toss in $3 more = $11 and by 7 years = $77 mil over 7.

That would be friggen GOLD if this could happen.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Kappanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Komarov (re-signed) - Goat/Alt - Brown

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Holl/Rosen/Carcik/Liljegren/Borgman

absolutely STACKED!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm sure he is comfortable with the Islanders, but it's around another 3 years before they have a new arena, and that has to have some impact on his decision.

I don't see the Leafs competing with some of the offers he's going to receive.

Sharks could give JT JT's 8 million and throw in another 3 without a sweat.

Columbus needs scoring and they have a cap space.
But do they have the actual $. Columbus is a have not.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Correct me If I am wrong . Is this not a message board about non Leaf games and about around the league discussion? I do believe our teams are rivals and I like to view perspective's when it comes to how the Leaf Fans view my team. Take into account that I am 53 not trying to troll but say something about this unreal unexpected season Boston is having knowing most likely we will meet in the playoffs. Is it some kind of crime to call certain people out for there opinions or is it just frustration because Boston is not falling as many leaf fans expected? I am done here and thank you for making me feel unwanted like Darryl Sittler felt at the end of his tenure as a leaf.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Many top seed teams went out in the first round in the old 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th format.

St. Louis in 2000, Leafs swept the Sens in 01, even Detroit and NJ had many of those early exits during their heydays.

WillyFirstofhisName

Mar 1, 2016
Leafs get a lot of comparisons with the Jets. Don't get me wrong, the Jets have a fantastic future, but some of their contracts are fugly. 5.3mill for Little til he's 36? 7.5mill for Byfuglien til he's 36?

They'll have some huge decisions to make going forward too:
  • Their (will-be) 32 year old captain and current leading scorer will be looking to get paid next summer.
  • Stastny is FA
  • Even when Trouba has looked like a #1, he hasn't been able to stay healthy. They will end up paying him #1 money though, especially considering the RFA drama not too long ago. Don't see him signing for any less than 6mill. Don't think they can get him on a bridge contract either. Compare this to Rielly locked @ 5 mill long term
  • They've got a Gardiner-type situation with Tyler Myers coming up next year. Myers is definitely worth keeping though
I just hope the Leafs don't lock them selves up with vets in a similar way. Outside of JVR and Gardiner, I don't see any impending risks that we'll throw absurd money and term around the way Winnipeg has already

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Kind of funny hearing Calgary fans blaming their coach for what looks to be a playoff miss

This is a team thats currently....

3rd in CF%, 2nd in High danger chances and 3rd in HDCF% but rank 24th in SH%.

So basically they have no problem controlling posession and generating high danger chances but they cant finish.

Goes to show how important being able to score goals and finish chances is in todays game.

They outshot Vegas something like 20 to 6 in todays first period but couldnt score and once Vegas did, it basically deflated the whole team and they just folded up.

We are by no means a perfect team but one of the main reasons why we're good is we score and have tons of guys who can finish.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Well yea their depth is pretty bad, but a team with 3 #1D's you wouldn't expect this many goals going past them.

That's why the whole "building from the net out" is such an outdated strategy imo.

The game nowadays is about speed, skill, dictating and being able to score.

Reactions: stickty111

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well yea their depth is pretty bad, but a team with 3 #1D's you wouldn't expect this many goals going past them.

Only #1 D they have currently is Hamilton and I’d argue he’s a #2 if anything. Needs to take the same step Rielly did.

Gio and Brodie have aged, and Hamonic... well we dodged a bullet

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Only #1 D they have currently is Hamilton and I’d argue he’s a #2 if anything. Needs to take the same step Rielly did.

Gio and Brodie have aged, and Hamonic... well we dodged a bullet
I know. It was just a pot shot at all the people in the offseason claiming they had 3 #1Ds, and Hamonic being a top pairing one also.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Outside of JVR and Gardiner, I don't see any impending risks that we'll throw absurd money and term around the way Winnipeg has already

I don't see Gardiner as a risk. He is seriously underrated, and we should get a reasonable contract. He has always been healthy and will have a long career.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's why the whole "building from the net out" is such an outdated strategy imo.

The game nowadays is about speed, skill, dictating and being able to score.

Thank you
Its annoying how people say "defence wins championships"
It's really overrated

Reactions: weems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad