Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Man why can't the Leafs ever play defense like that?? When the Knights get the lead it looks like they'll never lose it, but when the Leafs get the lead it seems like you're always waiting for the other team to tie it up. :( :(

Reactions: SnizzMitch

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Man why can't the Leafs ever play defense like that?? When the Knights get the lead it looks like they'll never lose it, but when the Leafs get the lead it seems like you're always waiting for the other team to tie it up. :( :(

If you watched, you know why.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yep.

And at the end of the day, they’ve been the better team everybseries, and not a single person would have guessed this would have happened at the start of the season. Personally, I think it’s great.

ehh. SJ was really good, so i don't think they were the 'better' team in every season.
honestly, i don't care. like i said. it will suck if they win the cup, but any team that's not the Leafs that win the cup sucks for me so it really doesn't matter.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Maurice has always been a choke coach. He gets his team far enough once or twice to give everyone hope but ultimately they fall flat in crunch time.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
What team do you cheer for? The only team who has less then 3 playoff round victories in their existence are the jackets.
And the Jets. They've only ever won 2 series... both of them this year. As the Thrashers, they didn't even win a playoff game. The Jackets, obviously, have never won a playoff series.

But he meant in a single season, since you only needed to win 2 rounds to win the cup in the O6 days.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It’s coaching , defensive hockey, goaltending and skill. Look at how easy they cleared the zone in the last period calmly banking it off the boards or glass with a man high to help get it out . And they are constantly on their check when they don’t have the puck.

I’ve watched them all year and they deserve to be in the Cup Final

i hate that word "deserve"
they don't "deserve" to be in a cup final no more than anyone else. they won, and that's why they are there, but they don't deserve to be there.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Honestly, I have no problems with Vegas. Sometimes, shit happens. Remember Leicester City a couple years ago in the EPL? sometimes, weird, crazy stuff happens. This is the NHL equivalent.

As a Leaf fan, I'm not salty about Vegas being successful as much as I am depressed at how it makes the past ineptitude of our franchise look bad. Hell, I'm not salty about a division "rival" giving two of its better players to Vegas for free, that's good for us lol.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly, I have no problems with Vegas. Sometimes, **** happens. Remember Leicester City a couple years ago in the EPL? sometimes, weird, crazy stuff happens. This is the NHL equivalent.

As a Leaf fan, I'm not salty about Vegas being successful as much as I am depressed at how it makes the past ineptitude of our franchise look bad. Hell, I'm not salty about a division "rival" giving two of its better players to Vegas for free, that's good for us lol.

no it doesn't. the Leafs didn't need this to make the past ineptitude to look bad. it was already bad. it will just make it when we win that much sweeter.

and i agree with you. this is just "the stars are aligning for vegas". the real question will be (and it could even be worse now technically) if they hit the skids (and every team does it), how long will it be, and how it will it be recieved? (and hitting the skids, doesn't necessarily mean being Arizona bad. they could be that team that is just.. fair to middling. they can make the playoffs and bow outin the first round all the time (Hi Columbus), they could always just miss out (hi, Carolina). and have decent-ish regular seasons. that's the important part.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im not angry at all about the Knight success. Good on 'em. Theyve saved us from a year of insufferable Jets Cup discussion. My order of playoff cheering goes like this

Leafs
24 American teams
6 other Canadian teams

Hopefully the media shuts up about "big boy hockey" now too. The last 6 weeks has been nauseating.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Everyone remember two weeks ago when Winnipeg was all but declared the 2018 Stanley Cup champions?

:biglaugh:

I remember a bunch of their fans invading each and every Leafs discussion to tell us about it.

Jets fans are literally worse than Habs and Senators fans -- our actual rivals -- when it comes to hating our team. I don't know if it has to do with an inferiority complex or a lot of them were Habs fans prior to the Jets arrival, but whatever the case, glad to see them out (while at the same time, respecting the hell out of the team itself. They were the class of the West this year IMO. Unreal offense, solid goaltending, and solid defense. A really well-built team. Just couldn't overcome the voodoo that Vegas has got going on).

Now hopefully Tampa (or Washington) crushes Vegas in the Finals. It would be a good endorsement of the strength of the East this year.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Im not angry at all about the Knight success. Good on 'em. Theyve saved us from a year of insufferable Jets Cup discussion. My order of playoff cheering goes like this

Leafs
24 American teams
6 other Canadian teams

Hopefully the media shuts up about "big boy hockey" now too. The last 6 weeks has been nauseating.

Why shut up about big boy hockey? Vegas is playing big boy hockey

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Leafs
24 American teams
6 other Canadian teams

eh?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Disagree. They played hard, but it wasnt the physical contest that Jets-Preds was. There is a difference.

Big boy hockey doesn't just mean physical or tall heavy players. They battled down low, got greasy goals and all that stuff. Unfortunately we don't do that so well because we try to get too cute.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Fleury is an elite playoff goaltender. The amount of series he's stolen over the last 2 years is absolutely ridicolous.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
i hate that word "deserve"
they don't "deserve" to be in a cup final no more than anyone else. they won, and that's why they are there, but they don't deserve to be there.

They've earned it therefore they deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad