Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The 2006 Hurricanes were questionable? Look at that roster and come back to me. That team was loaded up front, and they had God mode Cam Ward in net. That team was not questionable in the least.

Huh. I guess I have to eat some crow... their offensive production was a lot better than I remember it. Names like Stillman, Williams, even Brind’Amour don’t exactly conjure up the thought of ‘elite offensive producer’ but that’s exactly what they were that season (and most had a strong follow-up in 06-07 too). Their regular season record and goal differential was also more impressive than I thought. At the same time… IIRC they weren’t favourites at the time and certainly Cam Ward’s emergence and Conn Smythe-winning .920SV% helped pushed them over the top. They missed the playoffs the following year too.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The expansion Las Vegas Knights made up of castoffs finished 8th in the league in best goals against (using 5 different goalies) during the regular season and they won 51 games and their Div.

Are you saying 82 regular season games and now 14 playoff games of goals against results (96 games) are "Fluke" or just happening?

Our Leafs have never ever in 100 years won 51 games in a regular season. ;)

i'm saying you are going to believe what ever you want Mess, so there's no point in discussing anything with you. you're just gonna continue, blah blah "defense wins championships." you also think plus/minus is a good way to argue how good a player is , so i dunno.

the knights are having a very magical year. i'm not denying that.
however. it's not because they are like wizards defensively. it's because everything is coming up roses.
when they have years of success and this style of play, then come back to me and say this makes sense.

it's a dumb, tired trope.
you can be defensive all you want, but you need to be able to score.
you need to be able to score, but you also have to defend.
you need your goalie to be able to steal you some games.

you need to be good. and you need to be lucky.
but we've seen teams win the cup who wasn't that strong defensively. there are many ways to win a cup, and it's getting really tiring you banging this "defense rules all"and then wanting to be all what vegas has done and what the Leafs hasn't. who gives a poo. (yes even if they win a cup. it will suck, but again, who gives a poo, because at the end of the day someone's gonna win it, and it's not the Leafs so i don't really care regardless)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think it's a great story and all, but enough is enough. I want Vegas out. It's an embrassment to the league. I hate Winnipeg and I still wanted them to win the series.

It looks like it will be up to Tampa Bay or Washington to put an end to the madness.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I think it's a great story and all, but enough is enough. I want Vegas out. It's an embrassment to the league. I hate Winnipeg and I still wanted them to win the series.

It looks like it will be up to Tampa Bay or Washington to put an end to the madness.

Yup, pretty much my sentiment as well.

Hate not seeing a Canadian team in the Cup Finals, but VGK wants it more right now. They have made a mockery of how hard it is to get to the Finals with this ridiculous season that won't end.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Why is this site so slow for me?! Loading errors all the time?! Just happened a few days ago.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The Great One 3.0 couldn't take his team to the playoffs, couldn't medal in the championships.

I thought if you pay a $12.5 million, the playoffs should be all but guaranteed.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

I was/am completely rooting for Winnipeg since I'm not Canadian and therefore don't hate the other Canadian teams. You have to give Vegas credit though, especially Fleury, guy is playing fantastic this year. Wish we would have had some of that from Andersen, who stunk the joint up.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
i'm saying you are going to believe what ever you want Mess, so there's no point in discussing anything with you. you're just gonna continue, blah blah "defense wins championships." you also think plus/minus is a good way to argue how good a player is , so i dunno.

the knights are having a very magical year. i'm not denying that.
however. it's not because they are like wizards defensively. it's because everything is coming up roses.
when they have years of success and this style of play, then come back to me and say this makes sense.

it's a dumb, tired trope.
you can be defensive all you want, but you need to be able to score.
you need to be able to score, but you also have to defend.
you need your goalie to be able to steal you some games.

you need to be good. and you need to be lucky.
but we've seen teams win the cup who wasn't that strong defensively. there are many ways to win a cup, and it's getting really tiring you banging this "defense rules all"and then wanting to be all what vegas has done and what the Leafs hasn't. who gives a poo. (yes even if they win a cup. it will suck, but again, who gives a poo, because at the end of the day someone's gonna win it, and it's not the Leafs so i don't really care regardless)
I think it's a balance between offense/defense.
You need to be good in all 3 zones and have the commitment for it.
If you are only good in 1 of 3 zones chances are you aren't winning.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

You don’t like great stories?

Reactions: Devonator

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The whole league is a sham then if Vegas wins the cup. How can a team that was literally just put together last summer win the whole darn thing? Beating teams that have been together for a few years. Other teams have been building and building for years while this team wins in the first year together. It definitely makes some franchises look pathetic, like ours.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The whole league is a sham then if Vegas wins the cup. How can a team that was literally just put together last summer win the whole darn thing? Beating teams that have been together for a few years. Other teams have been building and building for years while this team wins in the first year together. It definitely makes some franchises look pathetic, like ours.

It’s coaching , defensive hockey, goaltending and skill. Look at how easy they cleared the zone in the last period calmly banking it off the boards or glass with a man high to help get it out . And they are constantly on their check when they don’t have the puck.

I’ve watched them all year and they deserve to be in the Cup Final

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
don't blame Vegas for taking advantage of Dale Tallon like that

Yep.

And at the end of the day, they’ve been the better team everybseries, and not a single person would have guessed this would have happened at the start of the season. Personally, I think it’s great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad