Around the League 42: Life, the Universe, and Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Meiers contract isn't as bad as Huberdeaus but it's still looking like it's going to age poorly, which I'm cool with. Someone here mentioned he'd be a great fit here had the Sharks accepted our end of the agreement, maybe but if he's struggling in Jersey I doubt he'd be much better here.

As for Bunting, I wish him the best in Pittsburgh. Kind of a Michael Ferland type I guess. Right guy to have but wrong time for us.
Ferland was a different character altogether. That dude hit and fought anything that moved, which is the biggest reason he couldn't stay healthy. He wasn't a true heavyweight but he hit like a truck. I'm just glad we weren't the team that ended up making that mistake on the long-term contract.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Flyers down 4-0 to Tampa in the 1st. Seems good, but also seems like one of those games where a miraculous comeback happens over the next two periods.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Torts kicked out already, too.

I can’t believe that I am actually typing words somewhat in defense of Torts…

But as bad as his team was to start the game (really flat, losing every 50/50 battle, not clearing pucks out of the d zone despite tons of chances to do so and instead they weakly hit the puck so it doesn’t make it to the blue line… there just seemed a whole aura of inevitability that they were going to give up goals because they couldn’t get the puck out of their end… they should have just iced it a few times but didn’t/wouldnt/couldnt), that whole sequence of 10+ minutes was the refs blowing like 4 or 5 or 10 different calls in a row and giving Tampas crazy PP freebie power plays that were totally bogus, not calling things against Tampa they should have given what they DID call on the flyers….

You could see it coming…. He was stewing about how bad his team was playing and then, as the refs were trying to make it even easier for Tampa by giving them bogus power plays, he was starting to have facial ticks as the pressure built and built until he just lost it.. the hilariously bad “tripping” call they made against Philly was the final beginning of the end sequence…. It was the most glorious diving crap that they normally call against Canes so it’s kind of funny to see how it causes other coaches to melt down when the refs are so incompetent at their jobs to the point of making you question if they have money riding on the game…

It’s No excuse for him to do what he did…. Totally understand the feeling of helpless rage at the fact the refs are wildly affecting the outcome of the game with their poor job performance and absolutely nothing is being done about it…. But Torts can’t act like that and he is going to have the league come down on him…

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Wes McAuley sucks and if Torts had cracked a stick over the head of that attention starved clown I would've been fine with it. Any official who tries to draw attention to themselves sucks at their job as ANYONE who has ever been an official knows that the best compliment an official can receive is not being noticed.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I'll say it right now.

NHL officiating has gotten to the point where the officals can no longer be trusted to be responsible for a game, Their bullshit, stupidity, and incompetence is going to end up blowing a cup game for a team.
Time to take it out of their hands like they do in the Bundesliga or EPL. VAR for everything. Every call and missed call should be reviewable. They are too incompetent.
Time for the owners and NHLPA to step in.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
How will the lines shake out when all is said and done?

Will it be:

Guentzel-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Kuznetsov-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Jarvis
Noesen-Drury-Kotkaniemi (Fast)

Or

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Guentzel-Kuznetsov-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Jarvis

Or

Guentzel-Aho-Svechnikov
Teravainen-Kuznetsov-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Jarvis

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I like something like this, assuming KK sits (I don’t know that that’s the choice I’d make, but I think it’s the choice RBA will make)

Guentzel-Aho-Svechnikov
Teravainen-Kuznetsov-Jarvis
Noesen-Drury-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast

I’ve liked the chemistry Necas has had with the Wolves duo. But if you put him with them you’re sticking Fast on a line he doesn’t belong on. So going back to MSF and letting Jarvis be the beneficiary of a top 6 that now has a skill infusion would be good.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Nobody sees plus/minus by itself as a true stat inside the league. At the time he ran that up I believe it was during our early season funk. He wasn’t directly responsible for goals going in, we had weak goaltending and nothing was working. When we got going his numbers didn’t really improve for whatever reason. Staal has no business being saddled with his number like you say. I don’t think either did anything wrong, the numbers just go that way.

Aho was on spittin chicklets and was laughing about how our system was making Bunting’s head spin. That’s probably why he was expendable. Maybe why he put the numbers up early.

I watched him today and saw him make multiple Canes like passes where he banked it behind the offensive net in a way the Canes would’ve recovered and no one on the Pens was there. So not only did he struggle to get our system he’s bringing the parts he did figure out with him to a team that doesn’t think that way. He’s going to have to unlearn us.
Rod really screwed with his head eh?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Ferland was a different character altogether. That dude hit and fought anything that moved, which is the biggest reason he couldn't stay healthy. He wasn't a true heavyweight but he hit like a truck. I'm just glad we weren't the team that ended up making that mistake on the long-term contract.
That was my read.

Bunting was a deuchebag but Ferland is someone you don't f*** with him or his linemates. Once a Bunting gets punched in the nose they just cry to the teacher or refs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad