Around the League 42: Life, the Universe, and Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I want the flames to make the playoffs so badly over Vegas… and if they beat the panthers I’d be happy too
Would be hilarious to have them take the final WC spot over Vegas, and then beat Vancouver in the 1st round. Won't happen, but fun to think about given the Lindholm and Hanifin trades to Van and VGN

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They just said that Bunting was a -15. I had no idea.

Staal is a -12 but he gets the hard matchups.

Management must have seen things they didnt like
Nobody sees plus/minus by itself as a true stat inside the league. At the time he ran that up I believe it was during our early season funk. He wasn’t directly responsible for goals going in, we had weak goaltending and nothing was working. When we got going his numbers didn’t really improve for whatever reason. Staal has no business being saddled with his number like you say. I don’t think either did anything wrong, the numbers just go that way.

Aho was on spittin chicklets and was laughing about how our system was making Bunting’s head spin. That’s probably why he was expendable. Maybe why he put the numbers up early.

I watched him today and saw him make multiple Canes like passes where he banked it behind the offensive net in a way the Canes would’ve recovered and no one on the Pens was there. So not only did he struggle to get our system he’s bringing the parts he did figure out with him to a team that doesn’t think that way. He’s going to have to unlearn us.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
They just said that Bunting was a -15. I had no idea.

Staal is a -12 but he gets the hard matchups.

Management must have seen things they didnt like
I think it was a combination of Bunting wasn't meshing with the system the Canes played (Aho mentioned that in the Spitten Chiclets interview) and Dubas having experience with Bunting in the past.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I think it was a combination of Bunting wasn't meshing with the system the Canes played (Aho mentioned that in the Spitten Chiclets interview) and Dubas having experience with Bunting in the past.
I'm glad we got out of that contract. I'm sure he will score on us but I really wasn't a fan of him. He seems to be more mouth than is helpful. It's like TDA without the willingness to fight.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm glad we got out of that contract. I'm sure he will score on us but I really wasn't a fan of him. He seems to be more mouth than is helpful. It's like TDA without the willingness to fight.
I noticed that our broadcasts didn’t show Bunting and his act nearly as much as the other teams do, just as they don’t show Rod losing it on the refs nearly as much either. Bunting was a real shit bag on the ice, he never shut up. He was always doing something behind the scenes and it was pretty much nothing you’d enjoy as a fan. He was a mistake imo and I’m glad they got out of it quickly. I don’t mean to be old school about it but he doesn’t play with a lot of what you would call honor.

Not everyone cares about that of course. We saw it with Meier today. He got Svech riled up on the play before they got into it, and he tried to dive earlier on him. Then he shoulders Svech in the face and takes a dive when the retaliation came. I just can’t even with that crap.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I noticed that our broadcasts didn’t show Bunting and his act nearly as much as the other teams do, just as they don’t show Rod losing it on the refs nearly as much either. Bunting was a real shit bag on the ice, he never shut up. He was always doing something behind the scenes and it was pretty much nothing you’d enjoy as a fan. He was a mistake imo and I’m glad they got out of it quickly. I don’t mean to be old school about it but he doesn’t play with a lot of what you would call honor.

Not everyone cares about that of course. We saw it with Meier today. He got Svech riled up on the play before they got into it, and he tried to dive earlier on him. Then he shoulders Svech in the face and takes a dive when the retaliation came. I just can’t even with that crap.
You could tell by Aho's interview that there was some of that going on. Aho said (paraphrasing), that he was crazy in that he'd have a great shift, but the very next shift, he'd be breaking his stick.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Meiers contract isn't as bad as Huberdeaus but it's still looking like it's going to age poorly, which I'm cool with. Someone here mentioned he'd be a great fit here had the Sharks accepted our end of the agreement, maybe but if he's struggling in Jersey I doubt he'd be much better here.

As for Bunting, I wish him the best in Pittsburgh. Kind of a Michael Ferland type I guess. Right guy to have but wrong time for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad