Around the League 42: Life, the Universe, and Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Yeah I’m with you here Ovy is so sick idc. Hope he breaks the record against us.
I’m not sure we’ll ever see another goal scorer like him. Matthews is incredible but odds are extremely long that he can keep it up throughout his 30s like Ovi. The Caps don’t scare me one bit and I don’t care about a couple regular season games if they do happen to beat us. I am enjoying watching Ovi when I can while I still can. Honestly hope he plays a while longer and shoots for 1000 goals, I think he’s capable of it…

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yeah I’m with you here Ovy is so sick idc. Hope he breaks the record against us.
My ideal scenario would be to be in attendance when he breaks the record as the lone Caps goal in a 7-1 loss. And it can be the first goal of the game so they can be excited for him and then get smoked.

Actually I guess that would be the second ideal scenario. First would be for him to do it in DC so they can experience it on home ice.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
My ideal scenario would be to be in attendance when he breaks the record as the lone Caps goal in a 7-1 loss. And it can be the first goal of the game so they can be excited for him and then get smoked.

Actually I guess that would be the second ideal scenario. First would be for him to do it in DC so they can experience it on home ice.

There's been a couple times in past seasons where when he was close to 50/60/etc goals, it seemed like he was intentionally trying to score them on home ice. I imagine the same thing might happen with Gretzky's record

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Winning doesn't always bring more fans to the game when you squeeze the fans out of the arena with inflated prices on everything.

I am legitimately worried that Dundon has the Canes heading in this direction with their ever inflating prices. I know so many people in the area right now who are themselves very well off financially who love the team but just stopped going because it's getting too expensive. And prices keep going up

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Winning doesn't always bring more fans to the game when you squeeze the fans out of the arena with inflated prices on everything.

I am legitimately worried that Dundon has the Canes heading in this direction with their ever inflating prices. I know so many people in the area right now who are themselves very well off financially who love the team but just stopped going because it's getting too expensive. And prices keep going up

We rejoined the ranks of season ticket holders due to my hockey playing son wanting to attend more games and found a group of like minded coaching dads wanting to do the same with their hockey playing kids…. Prices now for me are about 4x the price I used to pay as a season ticket holder during the cup years..

My season tickets for the cup year and couple years after (due to the lock in pricing deal for those that kept their money with the team) is laughable in its low price compared to current season ticket holder prices…. We have resorted to putting season ticket holder groups together so that we essentially buy a fractional 1/4 season package but we get to negotiate the 1/4 or 1/5 season games based on drafting amongst our group to split up the games and using the various programs for trade in or swapping around amongst our friend group so we go to the games we want instead of what the canes decide go in their packages.. I can’t go to 43+ games each year anymore anyways like I could in my younger days with family commitments etc. but the prices play a large part in forcing the cost sharing

My 2005-06 full season tickets 5 rows off the glass in the lower bowl were $29 face value minus the lock in discount percentage to bring it even lower….and a $5 a game parking pass…remember those days? :(

We are sharing full season seats at the top of the lower bowl in the south end that have an average ticket price of about $87 each next year…. The parking pass is almost as much per game as what my ticket used to be…. $16k for 4 season tickets and parking pass to see games in person is a commitment for sure of disposable income…. Even divided 4 ways amongst families…. Never mind the $100+a game worth of food and treats and drinks my son and his hockey teammate friends that come as our guests consume in the parade to the concession stands throughout the game :) haha

I’m honestly surprised the games sell as well as they do and we have a full arena and sellout so many games in a row… it’s a testament to putting a winning team on the ice that way more often than not earns a victory at home… and plays an entertaining game in achieving that win. I could care less about the in game entertainment. But it’s very similar to the same stuff they did 20 years ago. The video boards are waaaay better to see clips and video content than they were though. We have a crazy nice Jumbotron :). There is no way I would pay this kind of money if the product on the ice was what we saw in the dark years no matter how much my kid wanted to attend. Good players and Brindy coaching winning hockey opened my wallet again to watch in person as opposed to only watching at home on TV…. It can and will go sideways or upside down if they don’t continue to ice a winning team during the regular season. They have found the right balance of putting a winning team on the ice and the fans will come. At what point will the price hikes create the tipping point of keeping people away? Not sure… I figured we would already be there but I listed my tickets for Boston since I can’t attend coming up here and they sold for 3x their cost to me in a day. Even with Ticketmaster taking fees from me the seller and charging the buyer a crazy amount of fees as well (so they raked both parties for more than the original price of the tickets in fees!!!), I made out well taking their recommendation for what price to list them for since I had planned to just list them so I broke even or a loss after fees came out…. Helped pay for a chunk of my portion of the season ticket prices…. But if people are willing to pay that kind of price for games maybe we haven’t hit the peak yet……

Reactions: cptjeff

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Gotta believe that while the Canes are pushing prices as much as they can they're also analyzing what the market will bear and are smart enough to not go beyond that. Unfortunately, what may come about is a change in the demographics of the in-arena fan base . I'd hate to see PNC start to go the way of Toronto's Scotiabank Arena.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Your point is valid although this is a market that has affluence.

Putting myself in Dunedin’s shoes:

I haven’t seen financials published re: the team in a while but reports indicate that the Canes are near the NHL bottom in average ticket prices. Thus, similar to Karmanos’ tenure, even though ticket prices and parking have gone up, the team needs a long playoff run to break even.

Add to it, the shaky Regional network (Canes probably make a lot less than most NHl teams) and it’s a pickle for him if he wants to keep debt in check. FWIW: I also think that boxes are priced much lower than other nhl arenas too.

Of course, a positive is the introduction of gambling revenues but I haven’t seen any hard figures on what that will yield per team since 2018 SWAGs.

With the cap projected to go up significantly next year and beyond, if we want Duncan to spend to the cap, ticket prices probably need to go up and/or new ancillary revenues need to kick in strongly.

Edit: based on htdoc post: it s a lot easier for teams to run pricing models these days with Ticketmaster resales a good indicator of what the market will bear (ie 3x face for good games). As a highly analytical team, I’m sure they are running those models quite frequently with new data coming in as the season unwinds.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Your point is valid although this is a market that has affluence.

Putting myself in Dunedin’s shoes:

I haven’t seen financials published re: the team in a while but reports indicate that the Canes are near the NHL bottom in average ticket prices. Thus, similar to Karmanos’ tenure, even though ticket prices and parking have gone up, the team needs a long playoff run to break even.

Add to it, the shaky Regional network (Canes probably make a lot less than most NHl teams) and it’s a pickle for him if he wants to keep debt in check. FWIW: I also think that boxes are priced much lower than other nhl arenas too.

Of course, a positive is the introduction of gambling revenues but I haven’t seen any hard figures on what that will yield per team since 2018 SWAGs.

With the cap projected to go up significantly next year and beyond, if we want Duncan to spend to the cap, ticket prices probably need to go up and/or new ancillary revenues need to kick in strongly.

Edit: based on htdoc post: it s a lot easier for teams to run pricing models these days with Ticketmaster resales a good indicator of what the market will bear (ie 3x face for good games). As a highly analytical team, I’m sure they are running those models quite frequently with new data coming in as the season unwinds.
While we have an affluent area, our cost of living is still nowhere near where it is in larger cities, and as such we don't make the same salaries that you would in those areas. And they're playing with fire if they think that the ticketmaster resale values is what they could reasonably get for season tickets. I've had a real tough time selling tickets to anything other than a bigger market team. Sure I might be able to get $300 per ticket for the Bruins game, but for the majority of games I'm lucky if I can break even.

Our secondary market is propped up on locals who came from other ares who are willing to pay absurd prices to watch their team in the one or two games they get down here, because its cheaper to pay out the ass here than it is to book a room and hotel in NYC or Boston with a ticket tacked on. But that isn't going to impact the season ticket numbers. And I know they keep saying that there is a waitlist, but I'm not fully buying it based on the availability of tickets I've been seeing lately, including knowing that anyone can go and grab a full season ticket plan right now.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
While there are exceptions, the NHL fan overall is pretty much the same person whether they live in Dallas or Detroit or Toronto. Suburban, white collar, educated. The league I'm sure is probably the most affluent of the other fanbases of other sports leagues.

It's also probably the most knowledgeable, die-hard, true to the core fanbase. Lose those people to the "suits" and watch the league really suffer. Your average NHL team isn't going to survive on bandwagon fans.

Reactions: cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Preds are on an all-time heater right now. But you gotta think they're peaking too early. Imagine if they racked off this 15-0-2 record in the playoffs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Rangers win in the S/O. 3 points up with both tiebreakers.

Florida obviously got a point. Boston lost in regulation. Canes could grab hold of the #2 seed in the East tomorrow (potentially relevant for home ice purposes later).

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
McDavid 100 assist watch update - he’s now got 89 with 14 games left to play. It’s already the 31st highest single season total in NHL history.

Reminder that if he gets 100, he’ll be the only one to ever do it not named Gretzky, Lemieux, or Orr. (Orr once, Lemieux once, Gretzky 11 times lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad