GDT: Around the League | 22-23 III AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, that's a big part of why I can't get too excited about a non hockey market team winning. This is pretty much the opposite of "growing the game", at least when it comes to future talent.
You should have seen me when Carolina was waltzing their way through the playoffs on their way to the final and winning the Lord Stanley Trophy. Oh I had some things to say...;)

if repeated I'd be cancelled. lol

That was the WORST time by miles. For the Oilers to be so close, and to have it taken away by a Buttman team and with the beloved Doug Weight beating us. Sigh sigh sigh

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Couldn’t care less about the “Western Canadian connection” for the Golden Showers. Most of these guys would never play in Canada again and would rather play in a 0 tax pit of human despair that is Vegas. f*** ‘em
I will say this... A decade back I had a casual connection to a Hawks star player, who was originally from Canada. He basically said why would he play in Canada when the United Center is as loud as anywhere else in the playoffs and millions of people show up to their Cup parades (who cares if they are bandwagon fans) Plus, he can basically live the high life in a major city and only be bothered sporadically since most fans don't know exactly what he looks like. It's the best of both worlds for young, single players.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I will say this... A decade back I had a casual connection to a Hawks star player, who was originally from Canada. He basically said why would he play in Canada when the United Center is as loud as anywhere else in the playoffs and millions of people show up to their Cup parades (who cares if they are bandwagon fans) Plus, he can basically live the high life in a major city and only be bothered sporadically since most fans don't know exactly what he looks like. It's the best of both worlds for young, single players.

Indeed, and from what we tend to hear I doubt he’s in the minority on that take.

They actually need to give some sort of handicaps for smaller market / Canadian teams to make up for this sort of stuff, but it’ll never happen

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Adin Hill had his arms around a Bevy of cheerleading looking gals last night. Why pick, have them all. Not sure he got all that action in Comox BC.

Eichel looked like he'd never been in a nightclub before and had to forge his ID.

Not sure if it was Phil Esposito bio as he despised Canadian fans, never more than the Canada Russia series but one player of the era, could be him, went into length about the average view NHL players had about fans. Lets just say it wasn't kind.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There's no reason to care about Canada or the Canadian teams. You're always going to have it better in the States, period.

Hell the Raps won a Championship and maybe could've contended for a few more years but their prize acquisition couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Canada is simply an afterthought in the world of sports. What superstar would come here if they had the option? Tavares is the one that immediately comes to mind but then you look at his salary and wonder if that also wasn't a huge factor.

Pronger couldn't wait to pack his bags. Heatley wanted nothing to do with us. If the Oilers don't have a championship by the time McDavid's contract is up I'm not sure he stays.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
With all this stated Gretz went to LA in 1988 and Mess to NY in early 90's. All of what people are complaining about happened and became the standard over 3oyrs ago. Many of you weren't even born then. This has been the status quo for a long time but you follow the NHL.

For me the NHL is a bad habit. As for most longtimers I of course got hooked by the WHA first Edmonton pro hockey team and then the Oilers NHL success and 5 cups. But for younger fans the NHL, and where players choose to play has been firmament since you started watching.
True but the underlying issue was different. A crying Gretzky was sold by a wheeler dealer owner who was in financial jeopardy. Messier and Lowe, Coffey were economic based trades in a moment of massive c-change to standardized contracts in U.S. dollars, salary disclosure. Hell the Dynasty builder left to New York for incomprehensible wealth. Canada later lost two franchises due to an obscenely low Canadian dollar and poaching by big US markets.

Current Canadian exodus in primarily player driven for pursuit of personal lifestyle preferences, favourable tax regimes while Canadian NHL markets litter player no-trade contracts and overpayment often required to coax a discriminating workforce to play here. Now we get to watch players shoot pucks at surfboards and complain about making an All-Star game that ... gasp ... might prospectively have to be played in cold weather market Canada.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
True but the underlying issue was different. A crying Gretzky was sold by a wheeler dealer owner who was in financial jeopardy. Messier and Lowe, Coffey were economic based trades in a moment of massive c-change to standardized contracts in U.S. dollars, salary disclosure. Hell the Dynasty builder left to New York for incomprehensible wealth. Canada later lost two franchises due to an obscenely low Canadian dollar and poaching by big US markets.

Current Canadian exodus in primarily player driven for pursuit of personal lifestyle preferences, favourable tax regimes while Canadian NHL markets litter player no-trade contracts and overpayment often required to coax a discriminating workforce to play here. Now we get to watch players shoot pucks at surfboards and complain about making an All-Star game that ... gasp ... might prospectively have to be played in cold weather market Canada.

One point of leverage the Canadian teams have is their revenue generating ability. I believe 5 of the teams outside of Ottawa and Winnipeg contribute vastly to revenue sharing, and the numbers I last heard is the 7 Canadian teams (21% of the leagues teams) generate 33% of the league revenue. Without that the no tax sun belt teams would not survive.

Perhaps the 7 Canadian teams could threaten to drop out of revenue sharing for the next CBA.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
One point of leverage the Canadian teams have is their revenue generating ability. I believe 5 of the teams outside of Ottawa and Winnipeg contribute vastly to revenue sharing, and the numbers I last heard is the 7 Canadian teams (21% of the leagues teams) generate 33% of the league revenue. Without that the no tax sun belt teams would not survive.

Perhaps the 7 Canadian teams could threaten to drop out of revenue sharing for the next CBA.
The irony of this is that teams like Arizona collect scads of revenue sharing money and then ask for assets to get LTIR'd players so that they don't actually have to spend it.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Anyone with any viewing of him over the past couple years could tell he was a 4th liner at best ..can’t shoot and can’t pass and a low IQ on the ice
The only ones who said otherwise were stats nerds who never watched him play and only looked at his advanced metrics and a few Finnish posters here
I feel like there was a lot of JP backers here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Congrats Chia

Poor Kaptah.

I mean to be honest, I wouldn't neccessarily be that upset at offering Jesse a 1 year deal at 850k or something, but I think at some point it's just too many whiffed chances and odd plays and it's not even good for the player to there I guess as they're frustrated about it too.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I'd like to know out of the last four years , were any of the cup champions cap compliant? Out of the 16 teams in the playoffs this year, how many were over ?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Poor Kaptah.

I mean to be honest, I wouldn't neccessarily be that upset at offering Jesse a 1 year deal at 850k or something, but I think at some point it's just too many whiffed chances and odd plays and it's not even good for the player to there I guess as they're frustrated about it too.
He had a second chance to prove he can play within a coach's system in Carolina, and he spent his whole time chasing the puck around like a dumb golden retriever. He's straight up a liability to teams that need/wants structured play from their forwards, especially defensively where his puck chasing leaves gaps in coverage all over the ice. So unless Tippitt comes out of retirement to coach another low structure run and gun offense in the NHL again, any team giving him even a league min contract is wasting their money.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He had a second chance to prove he can play within a coach's system in Carolina, and he spent his whole time chasing the puck around like a dumb golden retriever. He's straight up a liability to teams that need/wants structured play from their forwards, especially defensively where his puck chasing leaves gaps in coverage all over the ice. So unless Tippitt comes out of retirement to coach another low structure run and gun offense in the NHL again, any team giving him even a league min contract is wasting their money.

I can't believe all the scouts were so wrong on this guy, like in his entire NHL career I never saw anything but a few glimmers of elite skill. Terrible hands and awkward skating. Jarmo was 100% dead on with this guy, how different is the McDavid era if we could have gotten Tkachuk or even Dubois with that pick instead.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Believe me I've stated all of these concerns in time. They are real. Hockey enrollment in Canada is declining. For a number of reasons.
The reason its declining is its expensive and other sports are becoming more popular. Has nothing to do with Canadian teams being run like crap. Canada has ONE NBA team but basketball is growing in popularity up north.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad