GDT: Around the League | 22-23 III AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I'd like to know out of the last four years , were any of the cup champions cap compliant? Out of the 16 teams in the playoffs this year, how many were over ?

I believe the Avs were cap compliant. It was only possible since they were right before a cap crunch which led to a massive bleed of talent

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
The reason its declining is its expensive and other sports are becoming more popular. Has nothing to do with Canadian teams being run like crap. Canada has ONE NBA team but basketball is growing in popularity up north.

Could that be because that one team just won a championship? o_O

Reactions: TB12

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I can't believe all the scouts were so wrong on this guy, like in his entire NHL career I never saw anything but a few glimmers of elite skill. Terrible hands and awkward skating. Jarmo was 100% dead on with this guy, how different is the McDavid era if we could have gotten Tkachuk or even Dubois with that pick instead.
There is an old story that Jarmo at the draft thought Puljujarvi would be a star too, but badly wanted a center to build around rather than having any special insight into his character. I don't get how the scouts got it so wrong either though, I remember watching his WJC highlights and games after he was drafted and coming away baffled that he won the MVP award while consistently looking like the worst player on the ice.

Missing out on Tkachuk sucked too, he looked like a future star in the memorial cup that year

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
How do you know for a fact that Canadian teams struggling for 3 decades hasn’t contributed to the drop in hockey popularity?
Because I've been told by Canadians (some at least) how much Canada loves hockey and how they deserve another team because they will always support hockey when Islanders were rumored to be relocated.

Seriously though, how many times did Canadian teams get to the final? They did not win but lets not pretend during 30 years Canadian teams were always the door mat.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There is an old story that Jarmo at the draft thought Puljujarvi would be a star too, but badly wanted a center to build around rather than having any special insight into his character. I don't get how the scouts got it so wrong either though, I remember watching his WJC highlights and games after he was drafted and coming away baffled that he won the MVP award while consistently looking like the worst player on the ice.

Missing out on Tkachuk sucked too, he looked like a future star in the memorial cup that year

Jarmo was interviewed shortly after the draft where he was directly asked about why they passed on PJ and specifically said that they felt he lacked maturity. I was listening to the interview when he said it.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

good job Gary!

7pee32.jpg

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Jarmo was interviewed shortly after the draft where he was directly asked about why they passed on PJ and specifically said that they felt he lacked maturity. I was listening to the interview when he said it.
Both can be true, lots of 18 year olds lack maturity.

There were other interviews over the year that talked about Columbus going for positional need too. They had just traded Johanson a few months prior to that draft for Seth Jones, which likely played a factor.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

good job Gary!

Because it was a foregone conclusion. I didn't even bother to watch the first two games of the series. Barely intended to start watching in game 3.

I was going back in time to SC finals and memory is an odd thing. I thought the Oilers vs Boston 1988 finals was the biggest cake walk since they let expansion clubs in finals. The scoreline there through 5 games was 21-12. That series however was essentially a 4 game sweep as the game 4 in Boston was incomplete as the lights went out and they couldn't get them back on. Fittingly the score in that game was 3-3 anyway. Series finished in Edmonton with the Oilers walking away with the deciding game.

This series was one of the most lopsided ever with 3 absolutely shit kicking blow outs in the 5 games. In a 4th Win Vegas had a 3 goal lead.

Combined scoreline of 26-12, Astoundingly the 3 games in Vegas were 21-7 with Florida only getting some garbage time goals because Knights had stopped playing hard.

Reactions: soothsayer

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Both can be true, lots of 18 year olds lack maturity.

There were other interviews over the year that talked about Columbus going for positional need too. They had just traded Johanson a few months prior to that draft for Seth Jones, which likely played a factor.

He mentioned maturity in the form of a lack of character. Felt the player was a bad bet because if it. Either way when a Finnish GM walks from a Finnish player someone in the organization needed to ask “why” as opposed to running up to take him without so much as even an interview with the player.

What’s past is passed now anyway. Wish him well in Europe but what a bad pick. Yamo soon to be traded for a pail of pucks or bought out next. Broberg can’t crack the bottom pair. Benson about to be let go as a UFA as I doubt we re-sign him.

What could have been…..

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Indeed, and from what we tend to hear I doubt he’s in the minority on that take.

They actually need to give some sort of handicaps for smaller market / Canadian teams to make up for this sort of stuff, but it’ll never happen
It will never happen, but they should give Canadian teams a few mill more on the cap or the league should have a franchise tag. If you draft a player, you can franchise tag him. He does not count towards the cap

One point of leverage the Canadian teams have is their revenue generating ability. I believe 5 of the teams outside of Ottawa and Winnipeg contribute vastly to revenue sharing, and the numbers I last heard is the 7 Canadian teams (21% of the leagues teams) generate 33% of the league revenue. Without that the no tax sun belt teams would not survive.

Perhaps the 7 Canadian teams could threaten to drop out of revenue sharing for the next CBA.
They should do something. It is pathetic. We were giving the Blues a bunch of $$ too when they gave Doug Weight a boatload of $$

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Anyone with any viewing of him over the past couple years could tell he was a 4th liner at best ..can’t shoot and can’t pass and a low IQ on the ice
The only ones who said otherwise were stats nerds who never watched him play and only looked at his advanced metrics and a few Finnish posters here
He couldn't even skate properly. Anybody with functioning eyes could see how awkward he was. Finnish posters thought he was being targeted. I don't care where a guy is from. Shit is shit

The reason its declining is its expensive and other sports are becoming more popular. Has nothing to do with Canadian teams being run like crap. Canada has ONE NBA team but basketball is growing in popularity up north.
This is true. A lot of my nephews don't give a sh** about hockey. Some is probably due to how bad we have been. They all love the NBA. I stopped watching it when Jordan left the bulls.

I went to Lakers game in LA this past year. I was walking the halls for half of it lol. Checking out the store and stuff. Boring AF

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Because it was a foregone conclusion. I didn't even bother to watch the first two games of the series. Barely intended to start watching in game 3.

I was going back in time to SC finals and memory is an odd thing. I thought the Oilers vs Boston 1988 finals was the biggest cake walk since they let expansion clubs in finals. The scoreline there through 5 games was 21-12. That series however was essentially a 4 game sweep as the game 4 in Boston was incomplete as the lights went out and they couldn't get them back on. Fittingly the score in that game was 3-3 anyway. Series finished in Edmonton with the Oilers walking away with the deciding game.

This series was one of the most lopsided ever with 3 absolutely shit kicking blow outs in the 5 games. In a 4th Win Vegas had a 3 goal lead.

Combined scoreline of 26-12, Astoundingly the 3 games in Vegas were 21-7 with Florida only getting some garbage time goals because Knights had stopped playing hard.
I have that game on videotape lol. Gretz's last game in an Oiler uniform. Man he was good that game.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

I think a lot of casual fans would have expected it to be more competitive. Really, the main reason for the lack of interest is it's two teams not many hockey fans care much about.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
They should do something. It is pathetic. We were giving the Blues a bunch of $$ too when they gave Doug Weight a boatload of $$
No they weren't

In the era that Weight was playing for the Blues pre-lockout, the only revenue sharing the NHL had was the Canadian assistance plan, which was put in place to save the revenue poor Canadian hockey teams(Van/Edm/Cal/Ott were all on it). They were all struggling to compete in a cap-less league during an era when the Canadian dollar was worth sub-65 cent per American dollar. Even the Montreal Canadians struggled to make ends meet with a brand new arena during that era, and was sold to an American billionaire.

Reactions: McRpro

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Who knew that a league that fans know is corrupt, and encourage you to bet on their corrupt games, all the while having flashing rink board ads that distract you from watching the actual game, which involved two teams nobody cared about, would have a colossal nightmare of a ratings problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad