GDT: Around the League | 22-23 III AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Wanna guess which dman was on ice for the most GA (5v5 & All strengths) even after being suspended for a game

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Paul Maurice revealed post-game that Matthew Tkachuk fractured his sternum in Game 3. Also: Aaron Ekblad played through a broken foot, popping his shoulder twice and tearing his oblique. He said some players may not be ready for the start of next season

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
The Hockey News tweets this....I forgot one guy took the lebron/Durant wasy way out

1686718330985.png

• Haha
Reactions: Kg810

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is this turd going to be commissioner until he dies? f*** off already
They don't call him the count for nothing. I think he's 153yrs old now. He's strangely looked like this for the last 25yrs. With the new blood he might be getting younger. Medical science should study.

The Hockey News tweets this....I forgot one guy took the lebron/Durant wasy way out

View attachment 717839
I could do without seeing this tonight..

Eichel should just shave his pubes already. Oh wait, thats his head...I don't know theres a guy that looks less like a hockey player and more like a concert pianist. Not sure where I'm going with that..

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Oilers try it:

Bettman response: "The Edmonton Oilers will be denied and will have to forfeit two of their 2nd round picks in 2024 and 2025 to the Calgary Flames for not being cap compliant."

Pay for their new arena as well. Oh wait, we are anyway..

Just a side comment but I like the look of T mobile arena more than Rogers place. Seems to look better visually outside and inside and better use of tech and visuals. Vegas arena seems decent. I hope the Calgary arena sucks shit. They are building it on a flood plain.

Reactions: McAsuno

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Pay for their new arena as well. Oh wait, we are anyway..

Just a side comment but I like the look of T mobile arena more than Rogers place. Seems to look better visually outside and inside and better use of tech and visuals. Vegas arena seems decent. I hope the Calgary arena sucks shit. They are building it on a flood plain.

Isn’t that most of the city? :D

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Isn’t that most of the city? :D
Thats the inside track on my joke about Calgary. Astute you are. heh. But the Stampede Grounds are particularly low as is a lot of the DT. But the way the rivers are and bend that seems to be a foremost area of flooding. I think Fort Calgary was built there too. Back in the day you built a fort close to water as you could given what the transportation mode was in those days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Everything their new coach Montgomery touched blew up in his face in comparison too. Scrapping the goalie rotation and playing a clearly injured Ullmark in game 6, game to game roster substitutions that had immediate negative in-game effects, chemistry killing roster micromanaging of the lines that put several of their players off balance(especially defensively), and then add in Bergeron getting a disc hernia in the last game of the season and clearly shouldn't have come back into the lineup as he got killed in the final 3 games playoff games

He's probably not gonna get fired after the regular season they had, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if they did fire him for that comedy of errors in the playoffs :laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just a post now on how its easier for me to swallow a Vegas win. 16 Canadian players dressed last night. 16. making this the most Canadian team in the NHL by miles. Further to that a full dozen of their players that played this season come from Western Canada. In total 19 Canadian players on their roster.

Its an org that believes in big broth Canadian players. An org that believes size matters and that fills that lineup out because it can play the game anyway. An org that believes a series of twin towers D is the way to go. So much of what Vegas put together is the standard Western Canada blueprint. Was hard not to recognize it. Coaches like Al Arbour, Fred Shero similarly respected Canadian and Western Canadian clubs and learned a lot from none other than Clare Drake of the Alberta Golden Bears. this hockey that Vegas played was pretty recognizable to a longterm fan. Shero btw hailed from Winnipeg and was a tough player that made it all the way to the Rangers playing 3 seasons. then went on to win 5 cups in hockey as a coach in minor leagues making him a must grab for a Flyers club trying to find their way. I didn't always like it but the way Shero respected tough and tumble Western Canadian hockey was clear as day. Its the same blue prints repeating.

Of course there is Kelly McCrimmon, GM, from the Brandon Wheat Kings and having spent 26years there as player, manager, coach and owner. I watched Kelly and Brad McCrimmon in the WCHL and remember the Brandon Wheat Kings well. Years later I would watch brother Brad McCrimmon play for the Flyers in the 80's, the team that was the best ever team arguably to never win a cup, because Oilers. ;) The McCrimmons were tough as nails kids hailing from Plenty Saskatchewan. They had Plenty of gusto in them and played rugged hockey. Often the kind of hockey that gets played in small town prairies. These were typical farm kids working on the Farm and developing Gordie Howe type farming muscles. To me its a good story when small town prairie kids make good and its been happening for over a Century in hockey.

This article in case people forgot what happened to Brad.

I know last night and the way the playoffs went down is tough for fans here. But theres several players from Manitoba on the club, multiple from Sask, Alberta, BC and they're acquired by a GM that knows the value and stock of that as well as anybody. Theres some good stories too. Whitecloud hailing from First Nations community, the connection to Humboldt Sask and bringing the cup there.

From Humboldt to Yaroslavl Russia theres connections to tragedy, and the pain and good and worst events that are connected with hockey life, or life itself. Lots to unpack with this club and because of my lifelong afinity for Western Canadian, or Canadian hockey its harder to hate them. The McCrimmons, maybe both of them, celebrated last nigth and I'm sure Kelly connected to his brother RIP who was his best friend, his only friend growing up and living near a town with only 100 people where there no other kids to play with. So I know why Kelly teared up when asked about his brother.

HNIC had the class and timing to end the broadcast season with Gordon Lightfoots "If you could read my mind" That was a nice touch and sendoff and RIP as well Gord. lots of pieces of Canadiana around, you just have to look harder to see them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thank goodness that this nightmare of a playoffs is over. Gary got his dream final 4, and the fans let him know what they thought of it, with embarrassing TV numbers. Panthers season goes from a Cinderella season to an absolute nightmare in the span of 10 days. Just an embarrassing performance by them, but I guess that's what they really are when they don't get out of this world tending. End of the day, I'm as pissed off right now as I was when we lost game 6, thanks to our idiot coach. Winning a SC is never easy, but I doubt you'll see an easier path than there was this year anytime in the next dozen years. So f'in disappointing.
It doesn't take much to entertain me but I just couldn't get into these playoffs after the 1st round. All the good storylines and interesting markets were pretty much vanquished after the 2nd round and the 2nd round itself was a borefest outside of Edmonton-Vegas.

I'm not just saying this as a bitter Oilers fan, the Final 4 of Florida, Carolina, Vegas and Dallas was worst case scenario for me from a fan interest standpoint. Virtually no starpower, uninteresting warm weather markets with no long storied history unless one considers Dallas to be that.
You would hope for good, competitive hockey to make it interesting at least and it turned out to be a sweep and another series that was 3-0 and had no real drama. Add in the fantastic weather and other things to do anyway and I barely made any time to watch these games.

It's sad because I usually love playoff hockey and try to make time to watch but I had no interest this year. I watched Game 5 (some of it, couldn't stand to watch all of it) last night because I figured it was the last hockey of the season and I'm always a sucker for watching Cup celebrations even if it is Vegas but, outside of that, I basically watched none of the finals outside of me and a few friends watching the last half of the 3rd in Game 4 at the tail end of a BBQ on Saturday Night. Quite simply, the most unappealing, uncompetitive playoffs that I've seen in a long time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Move it to Houston or Salt Lake City(though I don't like idea of being n Utah)
I'm sure Gary will find a way to make that franchise valid.

So Tkachuk is a rat, but he came back in the game with a broken sternum. Damn.

It was obvious Tkachuk had sustained an injury in Game 3 after taking a hard open-ice hit from Vegas Golden Knights forward Keegan Kolesar during the first period, which Maurice said was a broken sternum. Tkachuk still managed to log 19 shifts, 16:40 of ice time, and 14 penalty minutes in Game 4.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Just a post now on how its easier for me to swallow a Vegas win. 16 Canadian players dressed last night. 16. making this the most Canadian team in the NHL by miles. Further to that a full dozen of their players that played this season come from Western Canada. In total 19 Canadian players on their roster.

Its an org that believes in big broth Canadian players. An org that believes size matters and that fills that lineup out because it can play the game anyway. An org that believes a series of twin towers D is the way to go. So much of what Vegas put together is the standard Western Canada blueprint. Was hard not to recognize it. Coaches like Al Arbour, Fred Shero similarly respected Canadian and Western Canadian clubs and learned a lot from none other than Clare Drake of the Alberta Golden Bears. this hockey that Vegas played was pretty recognizable to a longterm fan. Shero btw hailed from Winnipeg and was a tough player that made it all the way to the Rangers playing 3 seasons. then went on to win 5 cups in hockey as a coach in minor leagues making him a must grab for a Flyers club trying to find their way. I didn't always like it but the way Shero respected tough and tumble Western Canadian hockey was clear as day. Its the same blue prints repeating.

Of course there is Kelly McCrimmon, GM, from the Brandon Wheat Kings and having spent 26years there as player, manager, coach and owner. I watched Kelly and Brad McCrimmon in the WCHL and remember the Brandon Wheat Kings well. Years later I would watch brother Brad McCrimmon play for the Flyers in the 80's, the team that was the best ever team arguably to never win a cup, because Oilers. ;) The McCrimmons were tough as nails kids hailing from Plenty Saskatchewan. They had Plenty of gusto in them and played rugged hockey. Often the kind of hockey that gets played in small town prairies. These were typical farm kids working on the Farm and developing Gordie Howe type farming muscles. To me its a good story when small town prairie kids make good and its been happening for over a Century in hockey.

This article in case people forgot what happened to Brad.

I know last night and the way the playoffs went down is tough for fans here. But theres several players from Manitoba on the club, multiple from Sask, Alberta, BC and they're acquired by a GM that knows the value and stock of that as well as anybody. Theres some good stories too. Whitecloud hailing from First Nations community, the connection to Humboldt Sask and bringing the cup there.

From Humboldt to Yaroslavl Russia theres connections to tragedy, and the pain and good and worst events that are connected with hockey life, or life itself. Lots to unpack with this club and because of my lifelong afinity for Western Canadian, or Canadian hockey its harder to hate them. The McCrimmons, maybe both of them, celebrated last nigth and I'm sure Kelly connected to his brother RIP who was his best friend, his only friend growing up and living near a town with only 100 people where there no other kids to play with. So I know why Kelly teared up when asked about his brother.

HNIC had the class and timing to end the broadcast season with Gordon Lightfoots "If you could read my mind" That was a nice touch and sendoff and RIP as well Gord. lots of pieces of Canadiana around, you just have to look harder to see them.
Good post. Vegas is an easy organization to hate (and I do). Brash, arrogant, rule dodging, aggressive, and now Cup Champions.

Yet within their storybook success and at its heart is an unrivalled hockey braintrust with deep prairie roots who identify talent, character better than virtually anyone on the planet in McCrimmon, Kelly Kisio who both ran exceptional, sustaining great WHL junior teams, and Vaughan Karpan. Other heavily weighted scouting staff made up of quality Western Canadian bird dogs like Bob Lowes, Bruno Campese, Craig Cunningham, Jim McKenzie, Erin Ginnell, Brad McEwen.

Shouldn't be a surprised that this team also has a very high number of Western Canadian players on this team. Stone may be a lightning rod for the Cap cheating but this is a high character leader with great skill and work ethic who defied mediocre skating to become an elite player. Stephenson became an engine player this playoff. Love his game. And all the others who this team's elite talent assessors knew from direct experience and/or their unrivalled network into the lifeblood hockey feeder systems across Western Canada.

I despise Vegas for a lot of reasons but I can find solace with some incredible hockey minds and high number of players coming from our Western Canadian backyard.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Good post. Vegas is an easy organization to hate (and I do). Brash, arrogant, rule dodging, aggressive, and now Cup Champions.

Yet within their storybook success and at its heart is an unrivalled hockey braintrust with deep prairie roots who identify talent, character better than virtually anyone on the planet in McCrimmon, Kelly Kisio who both ran exceptional, sustaining great WHL junior teams, and Vaughan Karpan. Other heavily weighted scouting staff made up of quality Western Canadian bird dogs like Bob Lowes, Bruno Campese, Craig Cunningham, Jim McKenzie, Erin Ginnell, Brad McEwen.

Shouldn't be a surprised that this team also has a very high number of Western Canadian players on this team. Stone may be a lightning rod for the Cap cheating but this is a high character leader with great skill and work ethic who defied mediocre skating to become an elite player. Stephenson became an engine player this playoff. Love his game. And all the others who this team's elite talent assessors knew from direct experience and/or their unrivalled network into the lifeblood hockey feeder systems across Western Canada.

I despise Vegas for a lot of reasons but I can find solace with some incredible hockey minds and high number of players coming from our Western Canadian backyard.
If there's one thing I like about Vegas its their cutthroat management. If you aren't good enough you're gone. Loyalty and such is for saps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad