GDT: Around the League | '22-'23 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Sutter's unfinished business will soon be finished off.

The "unfinished business!" angle was so f***ing ridiculous.

It would be one thing if they were perennial contenders that couldn't get over the hump and then brought Sutter in to "reclaim" whatever glory they felt they deserved in 2004. They weren't that though, they were a shitty team that missed the playoffs. Just a continuation of the culture of delusion that Flame fans and media have about how good their team is.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Genuinely, I just don't get how Huberdeau (and Markstrom, to some extent) has been this bad.

Kadri, sure. Last season was unsustainable, but Huberdeau has legitimately been one of the better players in the NHL for the past 5 seasons.

I dont believe Tkachuk stirred the drink that significantly for that team. Nor do I believe Gaudreau is that much of a different player than Huberdeau. Does the team all hate Sutter that much? Does Huberdeau so desperately need a(nother) power forward on his line? Is Barkov that good?

Markstrom, I mean, we broke him. So I get what happened.

I never thought he was that great. Numbers were nice, but I never saw him as a top level team driver. Was dumbfounded when over excited media group think over the summer all of a sudden determined that he was a better player than Gaudreau.

To me he would be the equivalent of if you shipped RNH to a team with no scoring after the year he's having this season with the expectation that he single handedly drives the bus offensively with the new team. That's not to take anything away from RNH (and he's currently a much more impactful player than Huberdeau), but there is no doubt that his production would crater if he all of a sudden found himself with a pretty pedestrian offensive group around him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and Ibanez

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I was listening to 960 on my way to work this morning. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, the media pushes the narrative for them. They are now hyping up the farm, it’s almost as if they are trying to give the fans false optimism lol. Pelletier and Wolf are not the answer.

Sign of a desperate fanbase.

"It will all be ok because look at these prospects!!"

Pelletier is a Yamamoto level prospect at best. Wolf, despite great numbers is whole life (some of which in defensively inclined Everett), is a small goalie that will come in playing for a shitty team. No sure bet there either.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I never thought he was that great. Numbers were nice, but I never saw him as a top level team driver.

To me he would be the equivalent of if you shipped RNH to a team with no scoring after the year he's having this season with the expectation that he single handedly drives the bus offensively with the new team. That's not to take anything away from RNH (and he's currently a much more impactful player than Huberdeau), but there is no doubt that his production would crater if he all of a sudden found himself with a pretty pedestrian offensive group around him.
Exactly this. Some players push the river. Some don’t (but are still good players in a lot of ways)

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

We have a 5 alarm fire going on here.

Players will put up with Sutter if they are winning. But today;s NHL'er is not the same as guys back in the 80's. They are multimillionaires that are use to being treated in a certain way. You won't change that so you pretty much have to change the coach. Tortorella is another guy with a limited shelf life.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Players will put up with Sutter if they are winning. But today;s NHL'er is not the same as guys back in the 80's. They are multimillionaires that are use to being treated in a certain way. You won't change that so you pretty much have to change the coach. Tortorella is another guy with a limited shelf life.
The problem with Sutter is he's extremely stubborn and set in his own ways. One of their rookies had a couple points against Vegas I believe it was then was scratched the next game. What kinda message is that sending? He refused to adjust during the BoA last year (a change to Vladar might've saved the series) and his high shot volume schtick doesn't work if the team isn't loaded with scorers.

He's not the only problem in Calgary but he's a big one. If Sutter was never hired Tkachuk and Gaudreau are probably still Flames.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Will be interesting summer in Cowtown... will Sutter be fired? Will Treliving be back? What direction will that team go? How many coaches does Treliving get to go through?

My prediction - Treliving goes to greener pastures and Sutter gets kicked upstairs to either a GM or POHO position.

Murray Edwards is one of the most frugal owners in the NHL, if not the most frugal. He isn't going to pay Sutter to sit at the farm for three years when he just signed an extension in October. Treliving, despite the laughable track record, still seems to be regarded as a good GM league wide. He'll go somewhere that will pay him what the Flames won't. Murray can't be happy that he paid two shit over the hill players $133M of his money either.

All of this - best case scenario for folks that hate the Flames should it come to fruition.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Treliving is as good as gone IMO...he's had more than his fair share of coaches and his "ego summer of 2022" was an unmitigated disaster

I think Sutter steps away after the season, maybe serves an "advisory" role from the farm but I doubt we are lucky enough to see him become GM

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Treliving is as good as gone IMO...he's had more than his fair share of coaches and his "ego summer of 2022" was an unmitigated disaster

I think Sutter steps away after the season, maybe serves an "advisory" role from the farm but I doubt we are lucky enough to see him become GM

Maybe Jay Feaster wants to make a comeback. Or Button!

article_4a9298f3-b65c-4a92-892d-352de9db8b31.jpg

tXvfVE7Iw0bnCcEG.jpg

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm not sure a different coach could make that Calgary roster any better than what Sutter has done. It's just not a very good roster. That team lacks skill and top end players who can make a difference.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Bunch of rejects on twitter complaining about Fanatics being the new company for apparel and head gear for the league for 24/25. I'm pretty sure the league are the one who will pick the weight and quality of the material and the fit of the jerseys/etc. Fanatics will assemble . Shoot it down before it happens is typical these days.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Bunch of rejects on twitter complaining about Fanatics being the new company for apparel and head gear for the league for 24/25. I'm pretty sure the league are the one who will pick the weight and quality of the material and the fit of the jerseys/etc. Fanatics will assemble . Shoot it down before it happens is typical these days.

The Adidas jerseys weren’t great IMO and for someone like me who is broad and stocky vs lanky, the fit was awful (particularly compared to the Reebok’s that fit like a dream). However, their hats and accessories were about as good as they get outside of ‘47’s offerings (my Carhartt Oilers cap is one of my favourite hats ever). On the other hand, every Fanatics branded hat and accessory have been uninspired and seem to have lower QC and their jerseys were the budget choice for a reason.

All due respect to Fanatics but the NHL going with a value brand for their jerseys is about all that needs to be said about the NHL, so I agree in that sense.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Dumbfounding that people seem to be assuming that the shitty Fanatics jerseys that they sell now will be the ones actually used in the NHL. There's no way.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Dumbfounding that people seem to be assuming that the shitty Fanatics jerseys that they sell now will be the ones actually used in the NHL. There's no way.

To me it’s not just the jerseys, which will obviously be improved. Overall their branding has been mediocre and lacklustre for even their higher end hats and accessories. Of course, they make the cheap $10 hats or whatever too which are fine in the you get what you pay for sense but it’s their $20-$40 range that are also mediocre. For the jerseys I’d just be happy if they aren’t as long and narrow of a fit as the current adidas, even if the quality is mediocre.

Reactions: K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To me it’s not just the jerseys, which will obviously be improved. Overall their branding has been mediocre and lacklustre for even their higher end hats and accessories. Of course, they make the cheap $10 hats or whatever too which are fine in the you get what you pay for sense but it’s their $20-$40 range that are also mediocre. For the jerseys I’d just be happy if they aren’t as long and narrow of a fit as the current adidas, even if the quality is mediocre.

I hear you on the fit. I'm pretty slim and a size 50 is a little tight on me, but I'm swimming in a 52.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I hear you on the fit. I'm pretty slim and a size 50 is a little tight on me, but I'm swimming in a 52.

Yup, I don’t know anyone that fits comfortably into the Adidas jerseys. Not sure what demographic they modeled them as as they seem to vary too much between each size. It’s the same for me.

I’ve heard that the Fanatics ones tend to fit nicer so that could be a good sign

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Any reason to assume this is better for anyone? ie. sweatshop labour?

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

We have a 5 alarm fire going on here.

Of course they don’t want to come back. Hard to improve as a player when your coach a) says few words and b) the words when they are said are almost impossible to understand.

Dude has marbles in his mouth…

The Adidas jerseys weren’t great IMO and for someone like me who is broad and stocky vs lanky, the fit was awful (particularly compared to the Reebok’s that fit like a dream). However, their hats and accessories were about as good as they get outside of ‘47’s offerings (my Carhartt Oilers cap is one of my favourite hats ever). On the other hand, every Fanatics branded hat and accessory have been uninspired and seem to have lower QC and their jerseys were the budget choice for a reason.

All due respect to Fanatics but the NHL going with a value brand for their jerseys is about all that needs to be said about the NHL, so I agree in that sense.
Im in a “wait and see” stance. But in general Fanatics is grade a garbage so I get how fans initially are reacting. However we should wait and see what the NHL does. You would generally think they would have say around quality control. The jerseys are huge part of the brand. You don’t want people walking around in junk.

And we wait

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad