Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Central

1. Winnipeg 2. Minny 3. Chicago 4. St Louis 5. Dallas 6. Nash 7. Colorado 8. Houston (Arizona)

Pacific

1. Van 2. Cal 3. Edm 4. LA 5. SJ 6. ANA 7. Seattle 8. Vegas

I think its just a matter of time with Arizona going to Houston

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It was a perfect storm of having a 2nd failing franchise (league was only willing to support one, and Phoenix is Bettman's pet project), an expressed interest to sell, not save the team, a strong Canadian dollar, and about 12 years of patience and in-road building by Thomson and Chipman.

Yeah the stars really aligned for us. I may not be much of a believer but the Hockey Gods smiled upon us that day.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You would be the perfect person to ask, whats the appetite for the NBA to come back and if they came back would the same owner need to own both franchises, it looks like in the future Seattle will probably have all 4 major sports where would hockey be in the pecking order, I'm not including soccer

I am not sure if the NBA is coming back anytime soon. My understanding is that the original proposal for the arena was building a brand new arena specifically to court the NBA, (and the NHL as well) the investor in the arena would own the arena and planned on owning both potential teams, but the new arena proposal got rejected by the city. The city did approve upgrading an older arena which is apparently good enough for the NHL to consider expansion but I don't think the NBA is keen on it. The group whose new arena proposal got rejected insist that they still need to build the new arena to house an NBA team. So the long and short of it is that while the NHL seems happy to move in, I am not sure that an NBA team is on the horizon.

As for the pecking order, most people can't get Seahawks season tickets, the waitlist is very long and the product is very expensive. An NHL team would give the chance to 10s of thousands of those who can't get Seahawks season tickets to support a local team (at more affordable price point). I think there is enough room for all of them to co-exist. The only issue I see is that the arena is owned by the city, not by the people who will own the NHL team. Presumably they will lease the arena from the city, so it is not a TNSE type lucrative situation, it seems that most successful NHL franchises own the arena they play in as well so I am not sure how that will go.

Well, let's hope they resurrect the old Metropolitans name. Then, you only need to change the first letter in your username. ;)
Only if they draft Lee Stempniak ;). But no, once a Jets fan always a Jets fan.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I am not sure if the NBA is coming back anytime soon. My understanding is that the original proposal for the arena was building a brand new arena specifically to court the NBA, (and the NHL as well) the investor in the arena would own the arena and planned on owning both potential teams, but the new arena proposal got rejected by the city. The city did approve upgrading an older arena which is apparently good enough for the NHL to consider expansion but I don't think the NBA is keen on it. The group whose new arena proposal got rejected insist that they still need to build the new arena to house an NBA team. So the long and short of it is that while the NHL seems happy to move in, I am not sure that an NBA team is on the horizon.

As for the pecking order, most people can't get Seahawks season tickets, the waitlist is very long and the product is very expensive. An NHL team would give the chance to 10s of thousands of those who can't get Seahawks season tickets to support a local team (at more affordable price point). I think there is enough room for all of them to co-exist. The only issue I see is that the arena is owned by the city, not by the people who will own the NHL team. Presumably they will lease the arena from the city, so it is not a TNSE type lucrative situation, it seems that most successful NHL franchises own the arena they play in as well so I am not sure how that will go.

The project is huge. It is basically the exact same as building a new rink. The NBA would be lucky to play there, they just aren't interested in expansion right now.

The "price point" for NHL season tickets is higher than for any NFL team. This is simply due to the number of dates on the calendar. NHL season tickets are 44-46 games, NFL is 10. No NFL team charges 4.5x on average over an NHL team per game.

Reactions: Anton Hipchekhov

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It was a perfect storm of having a 2nd failing franchise (league was only willing to support one, and Phoenix is Bettman's pet project), an expressed interest to sell, not save the team, a strong Canadian dollar, and about 12 years of patience and in-road building by Thomson and Chipman.

Also, we will get expansion money from Vegas and Seattle to help pay off that debt.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Atleast the Stars lost clean tonight. Now I find myself looking at teams behind the Jets.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Funny how the cheapest owner in the league was okay with the Phaneuf trade.

Even funnier that he trade Turris for Duchene and if they do plan on rebuilding he could have gotten the futures from Nashville strait up rather than two years of Duchene, whose value is dropping.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The plan never was to rebuild. The plan always was to build a winner around Karlsson, Stone, and a 35yo goalie. Acquiring guys like Phaneuf (lolol), Brassard, Burrows, Duchene. Hot goaltending gave that mediocre team a chance last year, and they almost got lucky and won something. I don't think there's ever been a vision beyond 2019 in place. Probably "we'll have won a cup by then so Karlsson might sign for $8M" or something. Problem is, the team has always been bad, even last year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Even funnier that he trade Turris for Duchene and if they do plan on rebuilding he could have gotten the futures from Nashville strait up rather than two years of Duchene, whose value is dropping.

They thought they were buying guaranteed playoffs

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Senators have made some real bad trades and taken on some bad contracts add that to what Karlsson will want to stay, and a long ways a way from getting a new area, good luck

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They thought they were buying guaranteed playoffs

Keeping Turris would have had them in pretty much the same spot. A lot of this falls on Karlssons terrible play so far.

Also add in the fact that you had Turris playing extremely well in Boucher's system only to ship him out and bring in a new 1C that has to basically learn it all on the fly. I'd say Turris' game is more suited for that type of system as well. Duchene came from more of a free wheeling offensive system then a system that relies on patience and countering.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Keeping Turris would have had them in pretty much the same spot. A lot of this falls on Karlssons terrible play so far.

Also add in the fact that you had Turris playing extremely well in Boucher's system only to ship him out and bring in a new 1C that has to basically learn it all on the fly. I'd say Turris' game is more suited for that type of system as well. Duchene came from more of a free wheeling offensive system then a system that relies on patience and countering.

I agree that it wasn't wise, but probably Melnyk forced Dorians hand

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree that it wasn't wise, but probably Melnyk forced Dorians hand

Yeah it is an odd train of events. Maybe Karlsson has told them if they won't spend to the cap he doesn't want to stay. They could get a tonne of futures for him. If the cap jumps by a lot then there are a number of teams that will be really interested. Toronto, Dallas, Washington, Pittsburgh, Islanders, Bolts, Buffalo, Edmonton.

Of course salary would have to go the other way for some of these teams. But most of them could make it work with a $5-7 mil increase in cap.
It would probably be the biggest deal in the cap era if it were to go down.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Well at the very least they would have their 1st and Shane Bowers and the option to move Turris at the deadline for another 1st and a prospect and a clear path to start a rebuild if they wish. Now they are in a really hard spot, hard to commit to a rebuild when you are not going to have your 1st in one of the 2 seasons where you are going to be really bad. Yet there is no obvious way to make the team better, Duchene is tanking his value, if they trade Karlsson they are almost certainly going to have a top-10 pick next season and will have to give it up (I am assuming they get a top 10 pick this season and keep it) but I don't think they want to extend Karlsson at the money he wants.

The mess is for the most part of the making of Dorion/Melnyk. No team can survive the string of high profile bad trades that they have partaken in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad