mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
that's almost vintage phaneuf right there

AnxiousGlitteringKawala.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good thing they traded their 1st round pick. Another reason why I always cringe when it's suggested and why I would almost never trade a 1st round pick away.

I don't know that they know what they are doing in Ottawa. So many weird moves that really don't follow a uniform thought process.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I don't know that they know what they are doing in Ottawa. So many weird moves that really don't follow a uniform thought process.

I don't know. I think their thought process up to this point was pretty clear and coherent. Sell futures to bring in veterans that can help now (Phaneuf, Condon, Stalberg, Burrows), pay up to upgrade roster players (Zibanejad+ for Brassard, Turris++ for Duchene), win the cup now. The thought process was coherent, but their evaluation of both where the team was at and the quality of the players they brought in was way off. They probably thought they had a 100+ point roster right now.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Good thing they traded their 1st round pick. Another reason why I always cringe when it's suggested and why I would almost never trade a 1st round pick away.

I think they can defer it to next year. I believe it's lotto protected.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's top 10 protected this year. If it slides to next year because of the top 10 pick, it becomes unprotected.

Though I think they can choose to give it up if it's a 9th or 10 overall this year if they want. Only reason they may do that is if they deal away Karlsson. But I'd imagine the only way they deal away Karlsson is if they land Dahlin somehow.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think they can defer it to next year. I believe it's lotto protected.

I think so as well, but that also leads to the question, if they sell off this year and draft high, can they turn it around in 2019 or are they giving away a lotto pick in 2019?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't know. I think their thought process up to this point was pretty clear and coherent. Sell futures to bring in veterans that can help now (Phaneuf, Condon, Stalberg, Burrows), pay up to upgrade roster players (Zibanejad+ for Brassard, Turris++ for Duchene), win the cup now. The thought process was coherent, but their evaluation of both where the team was at and the quality of the players they brought in was way off. They probably thought they had a 100+ point roster right now.

Yea you nailed it. They were one goal away from going to the cup final and who's to say they wouldn't have won it? They had to have felt they were close enough and were on the right path.

The one wild card with this team though is ownership. Is Eugene in the win now mode because of his health......how does his limited financial resources impact decisions? What directives does he give him GM??

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think so as well, but that also leads to the question, if they sell off this year and draft high, can they turn it around in 2019 or are they giving away a lotto pick in 2019?

Yeah it's a big gamble. honestly I'd only defer it if they pick top 2. Grab Dahlin or Svech and defer to 2019. If not then let them pick 3 to 10 or beyond. 2019 is looking like a much better class outside of the top 2 this year to rebuild with, especially if they trade Karlsson which should garner them a couple 1st rounders.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Yea you nailed it. They were one goal away from going to the cup final and who's to say they wouldn't have won it? They had to have felt they were close enough and were on the right path.

The one wild card with this team though is ownership. Is Eugene in the win now mode because of his health......how does his limited financial resources impact decisions? What directives does he give him GM??
Does feel kind of good knowing Jets ownership has vast resources. Gone are the Barry shenkarow days thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad