Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not likely. The risk would be too great at a purchase+transfer price of, say, $300M. It was a perfect confluence of events and a bit of a miracle that the NHL returned to Winnipeg.

I doubt $300M would do it today. We'd be bidding against Quebec. I expect the transfer fee would be $150-200M alone. Plus the cost to purchase the team. Carolina deal was based on a $460M purchase price. And then add the currency issues on top.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I doubt $300M would do it today. We'd be bidding against Quebec. I expect the transfer fee would be $150-200M alone. Plus the cost to purchase the team. Carolina deal was based on a $460M purchase price. And then add the currency issues on top.
Perhaps $300M wouldn't be enough - but I meant that even a "modest" price of $300M would probably be too much risk for TNSE to take on. $460M? USD?! Forget it!

Of course, Winnipeg is part of the reason that prices are up in the first place. Is anyone paying $500M for an expansion team if the Thrashers fold in 2011 or have to be bankrolled by the league for years? The NHL is healthier and more successful with the Jets than without.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Probably beyond their most optimistic projection at time of purchase

I wonder if they would do it now at current prices and exchange rate?

Feels like we got lucky and were able to get a team at the right time. I think that had we not gotten the Thrashers, and based on the expansion fees and how much more the relocation fees might be in the future (let alone the dollar), I think we might never had been in a position again where the cost of the investment would make sense for any investor for the Winnipeg market. The cost to recoup would just end up being too high I think.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
So 5 years down the line with the dollar relatively at the same mark will Quebec get a team, would the cost of buying and relocation fee just be way to much.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So 5 years down the line with the dollar relatively at the same mark will Quebec get a team, would the cost of buying and relocation fee just be way to much.
While moving the Thrashers to Winnipeg made pretty good sense from a business standpoint, I don't think moving a team to Quebec City at the prices we're throwing around does. They do have a larger arena, and possibly would get more government money, but it's a lot of investment for what would be a marginal return. Egos are usually pretty important in terms of owning a pro sports franchise, so maybe Peladeau will justify a $300M+ franchise relocation deal as a monument to his own beneficence or something... :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Does anybody think this will be slam dunk for Seattle, this is not like Vegas, they have NFL, MLB, MLS already and really would prefer to have the NBA back, guess will will see the anticipation level if and when they have a season ticket drive.

Seattle will have no problem supporting an NHL franchise. Lots of ex-pats here from Canada and New England who are into hockey. They will also be able to sell an insane amount of corporate tickets considering the location of the arena and how many big companies are headquartered in the area. I also don't see MLS as a competitor to the NHL. The location is also very nice as people can do stuff before and after the game which would provide an incentive for people to buy tickets as opposed to some of the other arenas like in Arizona or Ottawa which are located deep in the suburbs with nothing to do around there to do other than the arena.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Seattle will have no problem supporting an NHL franchise. Lots of ex-pats here from Canada and New England who are into hockey. They will also be able to sell an insane amount of corporate tickets considering the location of the arena and how many big companies are headquartered in the area. I also don't see MLS as a competitor to the NHL. The location is also very nice as people can do stuff before and after the game which would provide an incentive for people to buy tickets as opposed to some of the other arenas like in Arizona or Ottawa which are located deep in the suburbs with nothing to do around there to do other than the arena.

You would be the perfect person to ask, whats the appetite for the NBA to come back and if they came back would the same owner need to own both franchises, it looks like in the future Seattle will probably have all 4 major sports where would hockey be in the pecking order, I'm not including soccer

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Well, let's hope they resurrect the old Metropolitans name. Then, you only need to change the first letter in your username. ;)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
How do they re-align the western conference once Seattle joins....someone moves to the central??
who??
AZ?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd like to see AZ move to Houston and then into the central. I'd like to see the Jets get to feast on AZ that often.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
While moving the Thrashers to Winnipeg made pretty good sense from a business standpoint, I don't think moving a team to Quebec City at the prices we're throwing around does. They do have a larger arena, and possibly would get more government money, but it's a lot of investment for what would be a marginal return. Egos are usually pretty important in terms of owning a pro sports franchise, so maybe Peladeau will justify a $300M+ franchise relocation deal as a monument to his own beneficence or something... :laugh:

Interesting how NHL and other Sport properties took a massive jump in price after that crazy (price wise to me at least) acquisition of the LA clippers for 2 Billion dollars by Steve Ballmer in 2014.

All of a sudden an NHL team price to purchase more than doubled in value. When it comes to Carolina purchase It was reported that:

“From there, details from the agreement started leaking out, including the value of the team, which was set at $500 million.”

In hindsight 2011 proved to be the perfect time to buy an NHL team.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I imagine that Houston would support a team much better. I could see them getting out of red and into the black there.

A song one day for Glendale...

Out of the red
and into the black
They give you a team,
and you paid for that
And now they're gone,
and they'll never come back
Cause they're out of the red
and into the black.

Hey hey, my my
The NHL will always lie
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.

Reactions: Daximus

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Holy crap we're we lucky True North secured a franchise for 170 M!

It was a perfect storm of having a 2nd failing franchise (league was only willing to support one, and Phoenix is Bettman's pet project), an expressed interest to sell, not save the team, a strong Canadian dollar, and about 12 years of patience and in-road building by Thomson and Chipman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad