Around the League 2015/2016 Pt 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
That makes them not valuable.

It's definitely the situation of if you have an above-average to elite goalie they hold more value to their current team than to others.

Almost every team can add another top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman but you can only play one goalie at a time.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Trouba is available, I would do Olli Jolevi for Trouba in a heart beat, without thinking about it.

Both players have top 2 potential, but Trouba is a hell of a player, with a ton of upside.

I'd rather try and move a package with Virtanen. It won't happen though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Trouba started his career with a bang and Larsson with a wimper, but I don't think Touba is better than Larsson ATM. Trouba has been steady at that level while Larson has slowly improved year on year.

If Edmonton could get both, nice offseason for their D.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Trouba is available, I would do Olli Jolevi for Trouba in a heart beat, without thinking about it.

Both players have top 2 potential, but Trouba is a hell of a player, with a ton of upside.

Well, there a lot of posters who seem to have completely soured on Trouba. I'm shocked the guy went from being the next best thing (as Lindholm is presently) to being almost complete derided.

Not sure another right handed defender is what the Canucks are looking for, unless they want to create the same problem Trouba is presently trying to extricate himself from.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Too bad Benning blew every valued asset he had to a middling defender like Gudbranson and waiver wire trash like Granlund. That's a framework for a high-end player.

There were a lot of rumblings that there was going to be some high-end defensemen on the market this summer (Subban, Trouba, Barrie, Shattenkirk), and some of them were. A guy like Trouba would've been perfect for this team. Instead we paid a crazy price for a zero offense defenseman before the offseason had even started.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yep. A package of McCann, Shinkaruk and Forsling could have gotten us something good. Instead they were frittered away in three separate ****** transactions.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Yep. A package of McCann, Shinkaruk and Forsling could have gotten us something good. Instead they were frittered away in three separate ****** transactions.

no it couldnt.

winnipeg does not need mccann and shinkaruk for trouba. *swats with newspaper

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
No you don't understand, it's a valuable package therefore Winnipeg would have to accept regardless of need. They DEFINITELY wouldn't want a young LHD like Hutton + instead.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
No you don't understand, it's a valuable package therefore Winnipeg would have to accept regardless of need. They DEFINITELY wouldn't want a young LHD like Hutton + instead.

I think the deal is a lot easier to make if you had the above mentioned players (McCann/Shink/Forsling/high2nd player drafted). That plus beomes easier to give up. Plus if we still had Hamhuis, that would make giving up Hutton easier as well, having both Forsling and Joulevi looking to come in as high end prospects. Basically we would be in a much better spot to get this done, not that we could, just that we would have a better shot.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Why not a three way with Oilers?

Oilers: Trouba
Jets: Combination of Hutton, Tryamkin, Vacouver 2nd
Canucks: Draisaitl

With Edler and Juolevi in the farm top 2 is secure for the next couple years with Edler and beyond in Olli.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

With Edler and Juolevi in the farm top 2 is secure for the next couple years with Edler and beyond in Olli.
Ha! Your reluctance to not demand McSaviour is the best hi light of your 'offer'...

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I don't believe I said anything about Winnipeg?

The point stands.

I mean it was a pretty natural conclusion to make since the guy you were feeding off of said:

A guy like Trouba would've been perfect for this team. Instead we paid a crazy price for a zero offense defenseman before the offseason had even started.

I didn't realize you were just saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff though, which was my mistake, fair enough.

I think the deal is a lot easier to make if you had the above mentioned players (McCann/Shink/Forsling/high2nd player drafted). That plus beomes easier to give up. Plus if we still had Hamhuis, that would make giving up Hutton easier as well, having both Forsling and Joulevi looking to come in as high end prospects. Basically we would be in a much better spot to get this done, not that we could, just that we would have a better shot.

No arguments, although personally I'm not sure Trouba is the guy I'd want to blow Hutton and another high-end asset on. If I had to choose between the Gudbranson deal vs. adding Hutton and getting Trouba, I don't think I'd have any doubts about my decision.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I mean it was a pretty natural conclusion to make since the guy you were feeding off of said:

I didn't realize you were just saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff though, which was my mistake, fair enough.

No arguments, although personally I'm not sure Trouba is the guy I'd want to blow Hutton and another high-end asset on. If I had to choose between the Gudbranson deal vs. adding Hutton and getting Trouba, I don't think I'd have any doubts about my decision.

I expounded upon specific point to make a more general point, which was just that packaging these players together and/or with other asssets would have yielded us a better return than RealGud/Granlund.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They really should still make a push for him. RNH should be dangled.

The 1st Picks shot themselves in the foot by giving up a player of Hall's calibre for Larsson.

If I was the Jets I'd be demanding the return to be around Hall's level, RNH isn't NEARLY enough. I can't see a way for the 1st Picks to pull it off without pissing away significant future AND current assets.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
The 1st Picks shot themselves in the foot by giving up a player of Hall's calibre for Larsson.

If I was the Jets I'd be demanding the return to be around Hall's level, RNH isn't NEARLY enough. I can't see a way for the 1st Picks to pull it off without pissing away significant future AND current assets.

RNH in a package of some kind ought to be enough. I get it that Hall is a different calibre player, but Larsson was not demanding a trade and on the verge of holding out either.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

Because we actually need players to play defense? We're shallow as it is and you want to trade 2 of the only kids we have back there for fudging Draisaitl? No. No more trades for you.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Because we actually need players to play defense? We're shallow as it is and you want to trade 2 of the only kids we have back there for fudging Draisaitl? No. No more trades for you.

OP said "combination of," so I'm not sure they meant to send all three of those assets. Also, it's not like the team is much less screwed going forward at centre. I'd say they're worse off up the middle.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
RNH in a package of some kind ought to be enough. I get it that Hall is a different calibre player, but Larsson was not demanding a trade and on the verge of holding out either.

You have some great points. However I believe that overall Jets still have much greater leverage than the 1st Picks. Even with Larsson, their D-corps still look like absolute manure. In this day and age, it is not at all difficult to find teams interested in a defender like Trouba.

The 1st Picks may present their case as, hey we have Larsson so we aren't AS desperate, and we know you guys cannot wait much to deal Trouba. The Jets' reply will be: you guys want Trouba? Pay up, look what you paid for Larsson, and Trouba is the same if not better (I'm not saying Trouba is better, but I'm assuming this is how the Jets will present it). Besides, we have teams lining up willing to give us great offers.

It's a seller's world, - at least in my opinion it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad