Around the League 17: Cherry, Babcock, Peters, and Montgomery Unemployment Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Devils are 6-3-1 in their last 10.

Lightning 7-2-1, have won 5 in a row and are starting to play like the regular-season Lightning as we know them to be.

And, Columbus wins in Boston, and are 7-0-3 in their last 10 and are 4 points behind our team.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Devils are 6-3-1 in their last 10.

Lightning 7-2-1, have won 5 in a row and are starting to play like the regular-season Lightning as we know them to be.

And, Columbus wins in Boston, and are 7-0-3 in their last 10 and are 4 points behind our team.

Columbus is 18-24 when looking at raw wins and losses and a -6 in goal differential. They had a bad start to the season and are now on a tear but I wouldn’t worry yet. Let’s keep looking ahead and try to catch Pittsburgh first. With their injuries they should slow down some.

You have to think with the way the Lightning are playing, once they catch up to the rest of the league in games played they’ll take over the number two spot on the Atlantic putting the Leafs into the 3rd spot.
Boston has won the Atlantic but it’s really been done on the back of taking games to OT and SO. 11 loser points at the halfway mark is crazy

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's been a pretty solid night of results so far. Hopefully Vegas keeps it up as well.

Agreed on the assessment of Columbus above. Nice hot streak, but they just won't make it. As I said in the offseason, they remind me of us so many years. Just enough talent to miss out on a top end pick (barring lotto luck), not enough to get to the playoffs.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
adam fox with 3 points tonight. we're going to have to hate him for a long time.

IDC, we got out really well regardless. It's just too bad that he was (likely) so freaked out by our roster depth. As talented as he clearly was, he would've made our roster, if not the first time, then after utterly dominating the minors for a few games. We'd have even more goals and assists from our collective blue line than we already did, which is insane to think about.

Reactions: cptjeff

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Kovy signs in Montreal. Wonder if there really was something to the little bit of smoke about him possibly looking at signing here given his history with Don. With the Williams news basically confirmed now and no real contenders that he'd consider (read Boston and Washington) really sniffing around that situation he finally ran out of options.

Reactions: Tryamw

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Kovy signs in Montreal. Wonder if there really was something to the little bit of smoke about him possibly looking at signing here given his history with Don. With the Williams news basically confirmed now and no real contenders that he'd consider (read Boston and Washington) really sniffing around that situation he finally ran out of options.
Guess he doesn't want to win a cup...

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This is looking like it will be a repeat of the game we played against them last week.

Obviously hoping the Leafs lose enough the rest of the way to miss the playoffs (unlikely since the Atlantic is trash) but this run and gun style is exposing enough more just how bad their defense is. If Andersen doesn’t stand on his head they’ll get slaughtered in the playoffs when things tighten up

I dunno. Watched closely last night and they're better than I thought. Babcock had them playing the defense-first style that old-school coaches prefer, but it didn't suit their strengths and he was unwilling to compromise. Keefe looked at the roster and saw the '84-'85 Oilers, so he's letting them play like the '84-'85 Oilers. I know things tend to "tighten up" in the playoffs, but you've got to control them first. We couldn't do it. The Jets couldn't do it. These guys have a ton of talent up front, a great goalie, and they're having fun for the first time ever. I wouldn't bet against them right now.

Maybe they're not talented enough to out-talent Boston, Washington or Tampa Bay, but they're 14-4-1 under Keefe and the best team in the league in that span, so I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it.

I think we have to acknowledge that the only thing preventing the Leafs from being an elite team was their coach, and he's gone now.

It's been a pretty solid night of results so far. Hopefully Vegas keeps it up as well.

Suck it, Flyers

Dunno if anyone saw the ending of this one, but it's worth a re-watch if it's available to you. Vegas was up 5-3 going to the third, but Philly is the best team in the league in the third period (plus-17 goal differential) and they started with a power play on a clean sheet.

It took 15 seconds for Couturier to make it 5-4.

Fast forward 17 minutes of trading chances, including a perfectly-executed Vegas 3-on-1 that ended with Glass ringing the post, and there's a board battle about 15 feet inside the Vegas zone. I said to myself, "if this puck gets out, Vegas wins." It seemed to go on forever, then the puck popped loose to Reilly Smith, who had the clear on his backhand. He lifts it. I hold my breath. Right into the stands. Delay of game. With 2:46 on the clock. Ugh.

Giroux wins the draw and the Flyers take complete control. Fleury -- the only thing standing between me and knowing Philly will win this game -- makes a few B-plus saves, but nothing too amazing. Then, a whistle. Cross-checking on Engelland with 1:29 to go and a 5-on-3 for Philly. Kiss the regulation loss good-bye.

Keep in mind that up to the point of Smith's penalty, there was *one* penalty called on each team in the first 57 minutes of the game. I wanted to immediately blame the refs, until I saw a replay. No doubter. Engelland clearly was relying on the "refs won't put us down two men at this point in the game" urban legend. He was wrong.

Philly called timeout and obviously, pulled Carter Hart. It would be a 6-on-3 for most of the rest of the game with a lot of talent on the ice for Philly. Instead of thinking about Philly getting no points, now I'm thinking, "anything less than two points for PHI is a win for us." With Vegas also using their timeout, Giroux, Couturier (who played *all* of the final 3 minutes, 49 seconds), Voracek, Konekny, and Provorov were all able to play the entire time for Philly. And add in Ghost for the final 1:54.

And that's when Brayden McNabb became a hero. Just as Philly was setting up the first time. He made back-to-back blocks and managed to dump it all the way down. A few seconds later, he managed to get just enough of a pass to the point to deflect it to center. Philly ended up with only one shot on goal the final 1:29, which is amazing based on how they worked it around.

Honestly, it's the most I got into a non-Canes game in a while, and my five mini-heart attacks prove it.

And btw, Vegas played with 11 forwards and seven defensemen with Marchessault a late scratch and Nosek's wife in labor. Jon Merrill filled in at LW and scored his first goal of the season. Stuff happens in an NHL season, right?

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Dave stop scaring me, it's over. Case closed.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I personally don't buy it. I think it has more to do with him wanting to be in the NHL, no contenders wanting him, and the Habs being desperate to stay in the race at all with injuries.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I dunno. Watched closely last night and they're better than I thought. Babcock had them playing the defense-first style that old-school coaches prefer, but it didn't suit their strengths and he was unwilling to compromise. Keefe looked at the roster and saw the '84-'85 Oilers, so he's letting them play like the '84-'85 Oilers. I know things tend to "tighten up" in the playoffs, but you've got to control them first. We couldn't do it. The Jets couldn't do it. These guys have a ton of talent up front, a great goalie, and they're having fun for the first time ever. I wouldn't bet against them right now.

Maybe they're not talented enough to out-talent Boston, Washington or Tampa Bay, but they're 14-4-1 under Keefe and the best team in the league in that span, so I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it.

I think we have to acknowledge that the only thing preventing the Leafs from being an elite team was their coach, and he's gone now.

Dunno if anyone saw the ending of this one, but it's worth a re-watch if it's available to you. Vegas was up 5-3 going to the third, but Philly is the best team in the league in the third period (plus-17 goal differential) and they started with a power play on a clean sheet.

It took 15 seconds for Couturier to make it 5-4.

Fast forward 17 minutes of trading chances, including a perfectly-executed Vegas 3-on-1 that ended with Glass ringing the post, and there's a board battle about 15 feet inside the Vegas zone. I said to myself, "if this puck gets out, Vegas wins." It seemed to go on forever, then the puck popped loose to Reilly Smith, who had the clear on his backhand. He lifts it. I hold my breath. Right into the stands. Delay of game. With 2:46 on the clock. Ugh.

Giroux wins the draw and the Flyers take complete control. Fleury -- the only thing standing between me and knowing Philly will win this game -- makes a few B-plus saves, but nothing too amazing. Then, a whistle. Cross-checking on Engelland with 1:29 to go and a 5-on-3 for Philly. Kiss the regulation loss good-bye.

Keep in mind that up to the point of Smith's penalty, there was *one* penalty called on each team in the first 57 minutes of the game. I wanted to immediately blame the refs, until I saw a replay. No doubter. Engelland clearly was relying on the "refs won't put us down two men at this point in the game" urban legend. He was wrong.

Philly called timeout and obviously, pulled Carter Hart. It would be a 6-on-3 for most of the rest of the game with a lot of talent on the ice for Philly. Instead of thinking about Philly getting no points, now I'm thinking, "anything less than two points for PHI is a win for us." With Vegas also using their timeout, Giroux, Couturier (who played *all* of the final 3 minutes, 49 seconds), Voracek, Konekny, and Provorov were all able to play the entire time for Philly. And add in Ghost for the final 1:54.

And that's when Brayden McNabb became a hero. Just as Philly was setting up the first time. He made back-to-back blocks and managed to dump it all the way down. A few seconds later, he managed to get just enough of a pass to the point to deflect it to center. Philly ended up with only one shot on goal the final 1:29, which is amazing based on how they worked it around.

Honestly, it's the most I got into a non-Canes game in a while, and my five mini-heart attacks prove it.

And btw, Vegas played with 11 forwards and seven defensemen with Marchessault a late scratch and Nosek's wife in labor. Jon Merrill filled in at LW and scored his first goal of the season. Stuff happens in an NHL season, right?

For sure the Leafs have the talent to put a lot of pucks in the net but they are terrible defensively. They gave up like 45 shots to Winnipeg and were dominated for a lot of the game.

The key for them is getting off to a quick start and scoring the first couple goals. They did it against us and they did it against Winnipeg. If you get the lead on them you can’t let up. We saw that in our game with them last week because they can score in bunches.

I just think if they can’t tighten it up in the playoffs their gonna get run over since it’s unlikely that their hot start to a game, run and fun style is gonna catch anyone off guard in the playoffs when teams aren’t going to give them time and space.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad