Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Hopefully last night is a wake up call for our owners , and the whole organization . We don’t start winning soon, and build a sustainable winner , we could be the next franchise moved . It’s a fantastic market here ….but let’s not kid ourselves . Ticket prices are cheap here , and frequently our lower bowl is filled with opposition fans . You see it play out here , year after year .. season goes on , another hopeless season , the GDT threads around here struggle to hit 3 pages of comments . Year after year you see old names disappear , and I would say most of us here are the diehard fans . Feel bad for the yotes fans .
The owners of this team are nowhere near as terrible as the last few ownership groups of the Coyotes have been. Additionally, This city stepped up to keep the Crew here. It's not going to let the Blue Jackets ever leave without putting up a fight either. The city of Phoenix/Glendale/Tempe, etc. just frankly never cared enough.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I swear sometimes a nonzero number of posters here are actively rooting for the team to be moved out of state.
Yep that’s it .. actively rooting for my favorite team to move … I’m speaking it into existance… People speak of good ownership… the main job of ownership is to put the right people in place to win . Our ownership is so great , they allow JD , who signed off on Babcock 10 months earlier , to lead the search for a new GM . We have 1 playoff series win in our existence.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I swear sometimes a nonzero number of posters here are actively rooting for the team to be moved out of state.
Some of us literally have ZERO geographical association or ANY loyalty to Columbus or Ohio in any way. We made the decision to be fans of the team for more REAL personal reasons.

I personally find sports allegiances or rivalry’s based on location as one of the most laughable aspects of society. People will stomp other people to death in a “civilized world” over a jersey. If you actually WENT to the school, that is one thing, but, it’s still laughable how emotionally invested in something many people become, that have no actual sports knowledge and/or any actual legitimate connection to the college or team.

I find the Michigan/Michigan State “rivalry” just as ignorant as the U of M/Ohio St “rivalry”. What happens when the opponent changes between these 3 teams? What about when UofM or Ohio St (or any big 10 team) is playing Georgia or Alabama? Then who do you root for? It’s inconsistent and makes no sense most of the time.

I personally started rooting for the CBJ team as an “underdog” expansion team, as I hated what my childhood team, the Detroit Red Wings, had become. The New York Yankees, of the NHL. The days of my favorite players as an elementary schooler—Probert, Kocur, Cicarelli, etc.—-were done. That said, I also loved the “Russian 5” and skilled hockey and Pavel Bure and the underdog FLA Panthers were my “favorite” player and team before the CBJ.

What I have learned here about the vast majority of CBJ fans who reside in the state of Ohio and/or Columbus, is that they DO NOT embrace the “underdog” mentality AT ALL, and most quite actually despise the CBJ or anything they are associated with being looked at like that. I have been vocal about this in the past and also believe this mindset has had an impact on how the team has ultimately been built and the problems we see in current day.

Whether you want to bring Ohio State, or the “U”, or whatever weird nickname some of you have for it into it, THAT mentality is very similar to many arrogant/I’m better than you, “U of M fans” that exist here in Michigan, that I absolutely despise.

At this point I’d FULLY EMBRACE the Ontario Blue Jackets, as the “underdog”/“little brother” to the Maple Leafs. :thumbu:

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yep that’s it .. actively rooting for my favorite team to move … I’m speaking it into existance… People speak of good ownership… the main job of ownership is to put the right people in place to win . Our ownership is so great , they allow JD , who signed off on Babcock 10 months earlier , to lead the search for a new GM . We have 1 playoff series win in our existence.

People seem to really forget what Gaudreau and Jenner said about Babcock before he was fired. Why and what was that all about!?!

Why WAS Babcock fired?? We literally still don’t know. What DID he see and in WHOSE phone??

Torts should have been promoted and Babcock should have never been fired. Then again, Larsen should have been allowed to coach also….whatever.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
People seem to really forget what Gaudreau and Jenner said about Babcock before he was fired. Why and what was that all about!?!

Why WAS Babcock fired?? We literally still don’t know. What DID he see and in WHOSE phone??

Torts should have been promoted and Babcock should have never been fired. Then again, Larsen should have been allowed to coach also….whatever.
Yes by all means you are OWED an answer to what some dumbass saw on a co-worker’s/subordinate’s phone that he was perusing without permission.

And you find other people’s opinions inexplicable.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yes by all means you are OWED an answer to what some dumbass saw on a co-worker’s/subordinate’s phone that he was perusing without permission.

And you find other people’s opinions inexplicable.
What is your opinion on why both Jenner and Gaudreau seemed to both answer questions and overall speak positively about Babcock during the situation??

Did the firing seem to contradict what they were saying?? How would the info about serious issues with him get out of the locker room, and NOT to them??

What makes it “ok” to call Babcock a “dumbass” when you surely haven’t given out or expressed any knowledge of the situation?? The story about how he was “perusing without permission” literally hasn’t been explained well at all. What if those who have a problem with it are the dumb asses and the PROBLEM??

This idea or mindset that Babcock was essentially treating 1 (or some) of these millionaire athletes like an abusive husband taking his wife’s phone is laughable.

We don’t need to know what he saw in the phone, but, the overall lack of really any type of information is something I find interesting. It was always very vague comments that people turned into their own stories to push whatever idea they wanted.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I haven't watched the Jackets for a couple of weeks because it's so depressing. But there have been some incredible games around the league with functional teams fighting for the playoffs over that time. Tonights game between Detroit and the Maple Leafs was just incredible with the Wings winning a must win game in OT.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't watched the Jackets for a couple of weeks because it's so depressing. But there have been some incredible games around the league with functional teams fighting for the playoffs over that time. Tonights game between Detroit and the Maple Leafs was just incredible with the Wings winning a must win game in OT.

I tried getting in to the playoff race but most of the games I've watched haven't been very good. Like whoever gets the 8th seed is just backing into it, all those teams have been terrible in the last couple months.

I've enjoyed NCAA / junior / MHL more. Today's NCAA final was super exciting (if you enjoy good defense).

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
That was not where my mind was going with that.

They haven't been a good team since Brindley was about 11 years old.

I look at that play and I think Jones or a coach said something before the game like “You are supposed to have great straight line speed. If I have the puck in transition just go.”

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've been watching more hockey the last 2 weeks than I have for months and I can't wait for the playoffs. I really think any team that makes the playoffs has a punchers chance. Nobody is THAT good.

....but I really want Joe Pavelski to raise the Cup.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been watching more hockey the last 2 weeks than I have for months and I can't wait for the playoffs. I really think any team that makes the playoffs has a punchers chance. Nobody is THAT good.

I've always rooted against the Stars. Green? Meh. Texas? Gross.

But I must admit Nill has built a great team, and they're perhaps the best example of the kind of under rated team building I've been talking about. They didn't need any top picks to make one of the league's best forward groups. They signed old man Joe Pavelski, and drafted Roope Hintz (49th), Jason Robertson (39th), Wyatt Johnston (23rd), and Logan Stankoven (47th). And old man Benn (129th) is still good.

The correct way to build a team, of course, is to not sign any older players and to blow it up and get top picks. So this must be some kind of anomaly in the universe.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've always rooted against the Stars. Green? Meh. Texas? Gross.

That's my opinion of the Stars outside of Pavelski, but he's become my favorite all-time player, so that wins out over my dislike of Dallas. When they had Belfour in net, I think Sharks fans hated the team as much as the Kings or Ducks.

Plus, they should have been called the Dallas Lone Stars.

Right?

Reactions: majormajor

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah it feels wide open at the moment. Many good teams but nobody is dominating that much. Could be interesting playoffs!

I kinda hope Florida goes on another run. Not sure if it will happen though, if they get Toronto that's going to be an uphill battle, "We want Florida" doesn't carry this year...

Speaking of...

I personally started rooting for the CBJ team as an “underdog” expansion team, as I hated what my childhood team, the Detroit Red Wings, had become. The New York Yankees, of the NHL. The days of my favorite players as an elementary schooler—Probert, Kocur, Cicarelli, etc.—-were done. That said, I also loved the “Russian 5” and skilled hockey and Pavel Bure and the underdog FLA Panthers were my “favorite” player and team before the CBJ.
TIL I have more in common with thebus than I thought. Loved those 90s Red Wings teams for their skill, Yzerman and Fedorov working their magic in the NHL weekly highlights. And the Panthers felt like the underdog and had a cool logo I suppose, and Vanbiesbrouck had a cool mask? Wasn't a huge fan of Bure but more because of how he was SO good and fast and beat Finland singlehandedly in Nagano'98 (five goals, lol). Cheers man.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

The 3rd team from the Metro and WC2 are going to be baaaaad. I suppose the Islanders have the 3rd spot on lock and they do have Sorokin in net, but they're 27-27 in regulation this season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I started following the Stars when I learned an old buddy from high school was working for them (and the Mavs). That was about 10 years ago. Have had a warm spot since although my buddy recently took a new gig.

Can’t move them above the teams I’ve been a fan of for years but I’ll be good if they win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad