Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Major congrats to the Lady Buckeyes for taking down defending national champion Wisky in the Finals. I know a 1-0 game bores some people but both goalies played outstanding and it was a well played game with few mistakes.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am mostly clueless when it comes to women's college hockey but I decided to have a gander. There are 44 D1 programs.

ECAC: completely intact, same twelve schools in mens and women's
Hockey East: 9 of 11 schools have mens and women's programs - UMass, where are you?
Even new D1 programs like St Thomas, Lindenwood, Long Island University and Stonehill have both mens and women's programs.

So I looked at the Big Ten. No dedicated conference...why not?

Ohio State...check
Minnesota...check
Wisky...check
Penn State...check

Where the hell are Michigan and Michigan State? Sorry, it is shameful that Michigan which is all so high and mighty about its legendary and historic men's hockey program does not have a women's program.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I am mostly clueless when it comes to women's college hockey but I decided to have a gander. There are 44 D1 programs.

ECAC: completely intact, same twelve schools in mens and women's
Hockey East: 9 of 11 schools have mens and women's programs - UMass, where are you?
Even new D1 programs like St Thomas, Lindenwood, Long Island University and Stonehill have both mens and women's programs.

So I looked at the Big Ten. No dedicated conference...why not?

Ohio State...check
Minnesota...check
Wisky...check
Penn State...check

Where the hell are Michigan and Michigan State? Sorry, it is shameful that Michigan which is all so high and mighty about its legendary and historic men's hockey program does not have a women's program.
Oh, they know. And then they blame Title IX, as if creating a new women's program doesn't directly mean they can create a new men's program of some kind, too.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Does anyone else wanna talk Frozen Four?

Providence:
BC vs Michigan Tech
Wisky vs Quinnipiac

Springfield:
Denver vs UMass
Maine vs Cornell

Sioux Falls, SD
BU vs RIT
Minnesota vs Omaha

Maryland Heights, Missouri:
Michigan State vs Western Michigan
North Dakota vs Michigan

There are plenty of great storylines here...

1) Does Will Smith cement his family's BC legacy in just one season in Boston? I think this team is even more loaded with high end offensive skill than last year's Michigan team which fell short of a Natty.

2) Will QU repeat? I think everyone doubted them last year but Pecknold just keeps winning despite lacking big name prospects. I don't think they mind being doubted again.

3) Three very high end draft prospects with one last chance to flash on game tape for the scouts: Macklin Celebrini (BU), Levshunov (Michigan State) and Zeev Buium (Denver). Celebrini is the slam dunk #1OA and sounds like Levshunov is a legit candidate to go #2OA and Buium looks like a top ten pick as well.

4) At least three sets of very talented brothers playing in this year's tourney. Buium boys @ Denver, Hutson boys @ BU and the Nadeau boys @ Maine.

5) Which is the best conference this year? Last year I think the Big Ten was considered the best and QU rolled through three consecutive Big Ten teams to win the championship. This year I think Hockey East is the best. Besides being very top heavy with BU and BC, UMass and Maine are both very good and Providence and UNH might have made it six teams if the field were 20 instead of 16.

Side note: I think watch for UNH next season, team is on the upswing again.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Can we hire Pecknold if he does? (Or if he doesn’t.)
Pecknold doesn't give off a vibe that he has a desire to climb the ladder. Just doesn't feel like there is a strong desire to leave QU. He's a New England boy and been at QU for thirty years now. That said, I know a couple people who know him and they both have nothing but really good things to say about him.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Pecknold doesn't give off a vibe that he has a desire to climb the ladder. Just doesn't feel like there is a strong desire to leave QU. He's a New England boy and been at QU for thirty years now. That said, I know a couple people who know him and they both have nothing but really good things to say about him.

I get that, but if he goes back to back maybe he starts thinking “I wonder what I could do in the NHL.”

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Oh, they know. And then they blame Title IX, as if creating a new women's program doesn't directly mean they can create a new men's program of some kind, too.
[University of Michigan] Regent Michael Behm said he found it “somewhat galling” to see Big Ten rivals Ohio State and Wisconsin play for the women’s hockey national championship last weekend. “I do think we do have the money. We do have the resources. We have the resolve to get this done,” Behm said.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Tell me you saw the between the legs pass from the Michigan player to score against MSU in the NCAA's. Forward to 1:20 and be amazed.

That would be Frank Nazar. I was hoping for one of him or Mateychuk with our second 1st that draft year. We got Mateychuk and Chicago claimed Nazar with the very next one.

Reactions: cslebn

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Rangers Devils. 6 fights in the first 5 minutes. 8 players ejected. So who does Jackie Redmond interview at the break? Jody Shelley.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

G-d I miss him so much. I'm still amazed I ever doubted him, let alone was as opposed to him as I was.
thebus (or anyone else for that matter), I swear to G-d Almighty if you use this as a springboard to relaunch your conspiracy theories about how/why he left here I will make sure you regret it

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Tell me you saw the between the legs pass from the Michigan player to score against MSU in the NCAA's. Forward to 1:20 and be amazed.

Thanks for sharing that clip, I missed that game. Incredible pass. The UM vs MSU and BU vs BC games this year have been fantastic.

I clipped that video and sent it to my buddy in S Florida. It pains me because he is a big NHL fan and I can't get him interested in college hockey. Probably because there isn't a D1 program within 1100 miles of his house. And that closest athletics program is Ohio State which he hates more than any other school except maybe UF (he dislikes the Big Ten in general).

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I can't wait until the Rangers choke in the playoffs.
Depends on who they play. There are teams I hate more.

Would love to see the Isles sneak into the last WC spot and get the Rangers...there is so much history between those two teams. Although Philly slipping into the last WC and the Rangers having to face Torts would be fun too.

Would also like to see the Bolts swap spots with Toronto so its Boston vs Toronto and Florida vs Tampa.

Last edited:

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Wow and I thought only the CBJ did these sorts of things. The Penguins were dominating the Lightning 4-1 going into the third in a must win game for the Pens. The Lightning have scored three in a row and now are tied 4-4.
EDIT: Pens score at the 5 minute mark to take back the lead and hold on to win 5-4.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wow and I thought only the CBJ did these sorts of things. The Penguins were dominating the Lightning 4-1 going into the third in a must win game for the Pens. The Lightning have scored three in a row and now are tied 4-4.
EDIT: Pens score at the 5 minute mark to take back the lead and hold on to win 5-4.

The Knights gave up six 3rd period goals to the Coyotes last night. Six!

We're probably the worst at third period goals against (does anyone know where to find stats for this?), but inability to hold leads is a big thing across the league now. Good for hockey.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I was watching the Devils-Predators game Sunday night and the Pred announcers brought up a topic concerning OT that I've been noticing more this season. The league is looking at tweaking OT because the players are taking the excitement out by continually exiting the zone if nothing is there for them. That back and forth in a lot of games is gone because teams just hold on to the puck without even trying to score and risk losing possession in some games. I don't know what the NHL is thinking if anything at all. I guess we'll find out this summer.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I was watching the Devils-Predators game Sunday night and the Pred announcers brought up a topic concerning OT that I've been noticing more this season. The league is looking at tweaking OT because the players are taking the excitement out by continually exiting the zone if nothing is there for them. That back and forth in a lot of games is gone because teams just hold on to the puck without even trying to score and risk losing possession in some games. I don't know what the NHL is thinking if anything at all. I guess we'll find out this summer.

OT should be 4 on 4 and the shootout should be 5 shooters.

imo

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

You need a back court violation like in basketball. Once you have crossed the centerline, if you take the puck back on your side it is a face off. It would make the game more exciting. You might have “trap” plays like in basketball near the centerline if the guy isn’t a great puck handler.

Reactions: Doggy and EspenK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad