Around Hockey XXV (All Non-Jackets Hockey Talk Here)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
OT should be 4 on 4 and the shootout should be 5 shooters.

imo
I prefer ties to shootouts. Shooutouts are dreadful. I literally leave my seat and hang in the concourse waiting for the rest of my group rather than watch that pathetic and boring skills competition.

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Feel horrible for yotes fans. They endured years of shit off the ice and shit teams on the ice and will never see the fruits of it. Even if they get an expansion team down the line

In many ways, they should be mentally prepared for it with all of the off ice stuff going on that has prevented them from on ice success. A bad owner is a bad owner no matter what city it is and they've had several bad owners. The NHL has gone above and beyond for the city and team to make it work and it just doesn't.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Someone finally came up with a plan where the Jackets would have a decent shot at the playoffs next season or the season after!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
ESPN saying the Yotes move to Salt Lake City will be announced next week
Yeah, and I heard it mentioned on the radio in Nashville listening to a Preds game. (Driving through on the way home from the Dallas area, where I was meeting with friends for the eclipse.)

To say I'm disappointed is something of an understatement.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Doesn't a team need a majority vote from the owners to move? Maybe they took one and I just haven't heard, but this seems kind of weird that a team can just leave on their own.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
If the Coyotes do move to Utah, my hot take is that they make the playoffs next year. That team is stacked in terms of draft capital and cap space. A few wily trades and some big UFAs signed, that's a playoff team. If they sign, say, Guentzel and Montour for big money and trade for Buchnevich, I wouldn't bet against them.

Last edited:
Reactions: squashmaple

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Imagine Winnipeg Jets owners had been handling things like the Yotes ownership and were playing in an arena seating 5000 people. Yeah, that team would've been relocated years ago...

As much as it sucks for the fans, who have no fault in the situation, maybe not playing ICE hockey in the middle of the desert is not such a bad thing - though I doubt what ever the new location will be, it'll be that much different in that respect... and I fully realize hockey rinks are not the problem, but maybe as a species we should rethink our priorities and try to live more in harmony with nature. To me hockey rinks in +90F weather don't go all that well with that.

For the record, that wouldn't have to mean all teams incapable of supporting rinks on natural ice would have to relocate, but it might mean things like a shorter season where the game is played during winter and possibly using synthetic ice in southern locations. Hey, Canadian teams playing outdoors and southern teams using synthetic ice would make some interesting variations and a new twist on home ice advantage :p

Maybe I'm crazy but if that was the future of the sport, it would actually make me feel kinda excited.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Hey, Canadian teams playing outdoors and southern teams using synthetic ice would make some interesting variations and a new twist on home ice advantage :p

Maybe I'm crazy but if that was the future of the sport, it would actually make me feel kinda excited.

I wouldn’t mind a variety of rinks. Part of the fun of youth hockey is trying new rinks. This rink is really nice and has a liquor license. This rink is a complete disaster - don’t go in the bathrooms or you will catch a disease. This rink is outside — you will either freeze to death or the ice will be slushy in the afternoon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
They'll have to rename the team immediately if they leave Meruelo with the rights to the name.
I have no idea on what the rumored deal is but if Merulo thinks he can keep the name and get an expansion team in Phoenix I see that as just another future failure but maybe it buys time to try to get an arena built but I don't see that changing.

The league is going to suffer when Fanatics goes into rush mode to create generic jerseys for the "Skatin' Utes" or whatever they need to be called until a proper brand and merchandise can be established.

Doesn't a team need a majority vote from the owners to move? Maybe they took one and I just haven't heard, but this seems kind of weird that a team can just leave on their own.
It does require a vote of the board of governors but a handsome "relocation fee" paid out to the others teams will easily buy that vote. It should just be a formality once it reaches the point of that vote.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The league is going to suffer when Fanatics goes into rush mode to create generic jerseys for the "Skatin' Utes" or whatever they need to be called until a proper brand and merchandise can be established.

When the Thrashers suddenly became the Jets in 2011, they didn't have a team jersey yet by the time of the draft and Scheifele and the other picks wore generic black jerseys with the NHL logo on them. But they pulled off the season start without a problem. I don't see the league suffering here.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
When the Thrashers suddenly became the Jets in 2011, they didn't have a team jersey yet by the time of the draft and Scheifele and the other picks wore generic black jerseys with the NHL logo on them. But they pulled off the season start without a problem. I don't see the league suffering here.
Maybe but the Winnipeg Jets name and brand previously existed and the rumors of that move had existed for a while.

It's not ideal to try to throw together a completely new brand and color scheme out of nowhere when your owner decided to throw out an internet poll a few days ago asking for naming ideas.

The league and the teams take a lot of time developing brands and find ways to market them correctly and still screw it up. Creating an entire brand from scratch and getting trademark approval from the government in less than 3 months is not ideal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe but the Winnipeg Jets name and brand previously existed and the rumors of that move had existed for a while.

It's not ideal to try to throw together a completely new brand and color scheme out of nowhere when your owner decided to throw out an internet poll a few days ago asking for naming ideas.

The league and the teams take a lot of time developing brands and find ways to market them correctly and still screw it up. Creating an entire brand from scratch and getting trademark approval from the government in less than 3 months is not ideal.

I have a spreadsheet where I've occasionally done mock drafts since February, and the entry for that team has been Utah the whole time. The land auction bit seemed like a ploy to me. Smith has been angling for a team and expressed interest in buying the Coyotes specifically. I assume they've been in talks with Meruelo for months, and just weren't going to finalize the deal while the Coyotes still have games left.

I'd guess that Smith's group has a whole assortment of names and jersey mockups already. Just my guess but I think pro designers could pull this off pretty quickly if they had to.

The league is getting a team out of a college arena, a team that doesn't pay its bills, to a city with a real rink ready to go and deep pocketed owners. The rest is gravy.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Hopefully last night is a wake up call for our owners , and the whole organization . We don’t start winning soon, and build a sustainable winner , we could be the next franchise moved . It’s a fantastic market here ….but let’s not kid ourselves . Ticket prices are cheap here , and frequently our lower bowl is filled with opposition fans . You see it play out here , year after year .. season goes on , another hopeless season , the GDT threads around here struggle to hit 3 pages of comments . Year after year you see old names disappear , and I would say most of us here are the diehard fans . Feel bad for the yotes fans .

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Hopefully last night is a wake up call for our owners , and the whole organization .

1) Columbus is a fast growing city. With fast growing suburbs with families with money who have kids who play hockey. And young people with money are moving into urban areas like Franklinton, just west of downtown. Demographics are on Columbus’ side.

2) We love to build to build facilities to watch sporting events. We have built two soccer specific stadiums since I moved to Columbus, plus the Schottenstein Center and NWA and done a major renovation to Ohio Stadium that included permanent seats on the south end. There is also stuff like Huntington Park, the Covelli Center and Bill Davis Stadium on campus, the new Metropark that was designed for mountain bikers, and Fortress Obetz. Even suburbs get in on the act - have you seen the plans for the new pool Worthington is building or Hilliard and Upper Arlington’s new community centers?

3) We love to watch sports. This is Ohio. We love to watch sports.

I think the Jackets are safe.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
1) Columbus is a fast growing city. With fast growing suburbs with families with money who have kids who play hockey. And young people with money are moving into urban areas like Franklinton, just west of downtown. Demographics are on Columbus’ side.

2) We love to build to build facilities to watch sporting events. We have built two soccer specific stadiums since I moved to Columbus, plus the Schottenstein Center and NWA and done a major renovation to Ohio Stadium that included permanent seats on the south end. There is also stuff like Huntington Park, the Covelli Center and Bill Davis Stadium on campus, the new Metropark that was designed for mountain bikers, and Fortress Obetz. Even suburbs get in on the act - have you seen the plans for the new pool Worthington is building or Hilliard and Upper Arlington’s new community centers?

3) We love to watch sports. This is Ohio. We love to watch sports.

I think the Jackets are safe.
As a Browns season ticket holder when they moved, none of that matters. Many outside forces can change things in a minute. Nothing is safe.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hopefully last night is a wake up call for our owners , and the whole organization . We don’t start winning soon, and build a sustainable winner , we could be the next franchise moved . It’s a fantastic market here ….but let’s not kid ourselves . Ticket prices are cheap here , and frequently our lower bowl is filled with opposition fans . You see it play out here , year after year .. season goes on , another hopeless season , the GDT threads around here struggle to hit 3 pages of comments . Year after year you see old names disappear , and I would say most of us here are the diehard fans . Feel bad for the yotes fans .

The Blue Jackets are safe for several reasons, notably because we have fantastic local ownership.

I hope the irony isn't lost on the clowns pushing them to sell the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad