Around Hockey XXIV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
After the debacle of a first period yesterday, I started drifting around watching other games and it struck me as odd that in Edmonton, the fans and players didn't have to wear masks, but the coaches did. But in Montreal, there were no fans permitted in the arena. This is coming from a league that is nearly 100% vaxed. Kind of makes you go hummm.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
After the debacle of a first period yesterday, I started drifting around watching other games and it struck me as odd that in Edmonton, the fans and players didn't have to wear masks, but the coaches did. But in Montreal, there were no fans permitted in the arena. This is coming from a league that is nearly 100% vaxed. Kind of makes you go hummm.

It's almost like different provinces/states have different guidelines/precautions or something

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Props to their management for letting him leave when he knew it was time, unlike the management here who kept Torts around even though he wanted to leave.

My impression was that the management let Maurice know it was time. They're basically canning him with extra grace.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
so I was checking in on some former jackets’ stats and our good buddy, Nuti has only played 1 game this season for florida. lower body injury and is very likely to be held out all season.

in the past 2 seasons since joining florida, Markus has played 31 of a possible 111 games. that’s roughly 28 percent of the games.

really really loved markus for us. wishing him continuous success when it comes to nursing this injury and hoping it’s not a career ending type injury, given how mum FLA has been about it.

meanwhile…….

the dude we got for Nuti, Cliff Pu, has just 6 points in 15 games in the KHL.

that was and still is one of the oddest, if not the oddest trade JK has ever made as our GM.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
so I was checking in on some former jackets’ stats and our good buddy, Nuti has only played 1 game this season for florida. lower body injury and is very likely to be held out all season.

in the past 2 seasons since joining florida, Markus has played 31 of a possible 111 games. that’s roughly 28 percent of the games.

really really loved markus for us. wishing him continuous success when it comes to nursing this injury and hoping it’s not a career ending type injury, given how mum FLA has been about it.

meanwhile…….

the dude we got for Nuti, Cliff Pu, has just 6 points in 15 games in the KHL.

that was and still is one of the oddest, if not the oddest trade JK has ever made as our GM.

That was simply a salary dump. After Nuti got dinged up and started missing games he wasn't worth his cap hit. Pu was just a contract slot.

Same thing with Murray. People were upset that we gave him away for a draft pick, when he had a $4.6m cap hit. Now on his next deal he makes $2m.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWerenski8

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

That was simply a salary dump. After Nuti got dinged up and started missing games he wasn't worth his cap hit. Pu was just a contract slot.

Same thing with Murray. People were upset that we gave him away for a draft pick, when he had a $4.6m cap hit. Now on his next deal he makes $2m.

I think the story at the time was we needed cap space to be ready to respond to an offer sheet for PLD.

Fun fact: Ryan Murray is only 28.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Bowling Green gave up 4 goals to lose to Providence last night, but beat Yale tonight. Here's the game winner...

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'm wondering if these kids are ever going to try out a play like where a player scoops up the puck onto the stick blade, much like with lacrosse goal moves, but does it far out from the goal, maybe in neutral zone or around the blueline. Then the player would fling it hard towards the net, but in a weird angle, hoping that puck would hit the ice and take a surprising bounce off the bumpy surface that would fool the goalie. It's probably a very unlikely way to score on most goalies but I'd like to see someone actually trying it and succeeding at it.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm wondering if these kids are ever going to try out a play like where a player scoops up the puck onto the stick blade, much like with lacrosse goal moves, but does it far out from the goal, maybe in neutral zone or around the blueline. Then the player would fling it hard towards the net, but in a weird angle, hoping that puck would hit the ice and take a surprising bounce off the bumpy surface that would fool the goalie. It's probably a very unlikely way to score on most goalies but I'd like to see someone actually trying it and succeeding at it.
I could TOTALLY see that happening in the shootout!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Forgot hoping for a funny bounce. If you go in on net with the ability to move the puck in the air as quickly as Zac Bell does, then you should be able to beat a goalie with it. He's like a swordfighter.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Forgot hoping for a funny bounce. If you go in on net with the ability to move the puck in the air as quickly as Zac Bell does, then you should be able to beat a goalie with it. He's like a swordfighter.

It's surely possible. I would like to know how fast he could throw it, let's say from the blueline, compared to a simple wrist shot. Every shot on the video is taken so close to the net it's hard to guess the real speed. Get a radar and goalie in net and then we would know better if it's a realistic way to score.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It's surely possible. I would like to know how fast he could throw it, let's say from the blueline, compared to a simple wrist shot. Every shot on the video is taken so close to the net it's hard to guess the real speed. Get a radar and goalie in net and then we would know better if it's a realistic way to score.

I don’t know that he cold throw it hard and far because he might not be able to keep the puck flat so there will be some drag. But I think he could bat it up in the air and then get a nice baseball style swing on the side of the puck and generate decent speed. But the speed in hockey shots comes in part from the flex of the stick, which you get with normal hockey shots and not with a jai-alai or atlatl throwing motion.

I agree that this is maybe something you try in a shootout more than in a game. Also, picking a puck up on your stick in open ice may make you more vulnerable to hits.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I was thinking he'd have a better chance air-deking rather than flinging it or batting it from any distance. You need the whip of the stick to get enough speed to fool a goalie. It's that or deke from in close.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I don’t know that he cold throw it hard and far because he might not be able to keep the puck flat so there will be some drag. But I think he could bat it up in the air and then get a nice baseball style swing on the side of the puck and generate decent speed.
I don't think choosing the baseball swing instead would help in an attempt to keep it flat and hence minimize the drag either. And this is why I initially thought about trying this trick with some kind of bounce.

It's true it would be riskier to attempt this on open ice. Maybe this could be an alternative shot selection in a particular situation where both teams are about to make a line change, and the player who has possession intends to cross center line just for a simple dump-in or a shot on goal to give his team more time to get off the ice. There would be more time and space and less threats around to get destroyed while performing it.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Yea, there’s DEFINITELY a reason why there is very rarely a goalie in net during these “demonstrations”. And when there is, I’d argue that they are asked to not really attempt to make a save 99% of the time.

The reason is not so the goalie doesn’t get embarrassed….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad