Around Hockey XX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
A few games ago I would have thought Vegas would have rolled over the Caps. Now I think it may come down to the goalies. A red hot Fleury or a consistently playoff excellent Holtby.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And all wins would have been in OT which would have been roughly 8-1 odds against.

So VERY CLOSE to being VERY LUCKY.

Funny how the same odds also apply to losing all three games. Is that also "luck"? At what point does it cease to be "luck"?

I fully expect a reply that insists on a narrative of Grubauer being unusually bad rather than Holtby being unusually good.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Funny how the same odds also apply to losing all three games. Is that also "luck"? At what point does it cease to be "luck"?

I fully expect a reply that insists on a narrative of Grubauer being unusually bad rather than Holtby being unusually good.
I guess simple math escapes you. 50% chance of winning OT game....roughly. Three in a row at those odds equates to roughly a 1/8th chance of winning all 3.

The post I was quoting said how close the CBJ were to going up 3 games. I merely pointed out that 3 straight OT victories would have been really lucky. Capiche?

The whole " we lost to the future champs" nonsense is a lame mindset anyway.

Yeah. And had Trotz gone with Holtby from game one, it's highly likely that the CBJ would have only won a single game.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I guess simple math escapes you. 50% chance of winning OT game....roughly. Three in a row at those odds equates to roughly a 1/8th chance of winning all 3.

The post I was quoting said how close the CBJ were to going up 3 games. I merely pointed out that 3 straight OT victories would have been really lucky. Capiche?

My point, in turn, is that your "50% chance" is also the chance of losing rather than winning, and yet I sincerely doubt you'd refer to losing all three OT games as "very unlucky".

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
My point, in turn, is that your "50% chance" is also the chance of losing rather than winning, and yet I sincerely doubt you'd refer to losing all three OT games as "very unlucky".
That's ridiculous conjecture. Your own " confirmation bias" as you regularly (and usually incorrectly) project upon others

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's ridiculous conjecture.
Right. So let's say we exist in a world where we lose the first three games to OT. And per this you wouldn't immediately go on rants about how this is a condemnation of Davidson and Kekalainen, proof that Bob chokes in the playoffs and that guys like Dubinsky and Murray are valueless, more of an indicator that Tortorella can't adjust and can't win anymore, something something William Karlsson, and all the usual tropes that you've trotted out every single time there's a hint of adversity all year - no, you'd just point out that this was "very unlucky", implying that, hey, y'know, the team just might turn things around.

I confess I remain skeptical.

Your own " confirmation bias" as you regularly (and usually incorrectly) project upon others
No, that's more begging the question based on prejudice. You haven't presented any new evidence about your tendencies and reactions vis-a-vis the Jackets for me to spin, so confirmation bias isn't an option.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
IMG_1269.JPG
I had a nice chuckle last night while having a beer in the Nashville airport. While chatting about the brewery's various sample craft beer offerings with the couple next to me who were returning to Baltimore, I asked the husband if his shirt was commentary on Pierre McGuire (above stock photo of shirt). Sure enough it was as he was a huge Caps fan bemoaning a perceived Pens bias of Pierre. That led to more good conversation - and more beer. And naturally I did inject an obligatory Tom Wilson dig....anyway a good way to spend time during a flight delay.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I enjoyed the Tom Wilson justice for the marchessault butt end on Oshie. Damn that was dirty.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was hoping to see some intelligent discussion about the game last night, but sos. I thought it was a great game. 6-4 indicates playoff Bob was in net for both teams. Nothing further from the truth imo. Only fluke goal was when Fleury lost the puck and kicked it in while sliding backwards. I thought both teams were good offensively and defensively as well. A few breakdowns that led toeasy goals but overall a well played game by both teams at both ends of the ice.

A big key was Vegas neutralized Ovie. He wasn't much of a factor.

And Wilson sucks. Not sure about JAM's stick butt to Oshie's face being intentional but Wilson's blindside hit could have concussed JAM and I think warrants a game based on his prior behavior. Guy doesn't seem to learn. Only thing that will probably save his butt is that JAM appears to be ok.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The spine shot was the shift before as Oshie was getting up from an Engellend cross check. Nasty play.

Otherwise it was a great game to watch. Frankly I was amazed at how Vegas withstood the pressure from Washington the last bit. Good job keeping chances to low risk areas minus the Eller whiff. He's going yup have nightmares about that.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
An incredibly entertaining game. I agree with EspenK that the high score wasn’t because of bad goaltending. This was a game where each offense overcame the defense with strong surges and some nifty plays. I hope we have six more such games.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
4th line CBJ reject with 20+ minutes and a goal.

Forgive the 'copy and paste'.

But, its amazing to me that you continue to "harp" on this over and over when you literally expressed the opinion multiple times that you NOW sarcastically mock, over and over and over and over...

Cyclones Rock said:

I do hope that the FO isn't expending any resources to keep Wild Bill.

He's an easily replaceable spare part who went 45 games or so without a goal.​

Cyclones Rock said:
Anyone who real thinks that a player like Karlsson moves the meter for a hockey team in a substantial way doesn't get NHL hockey personnel options. Wild Beel-type players are available all the time during the off season and usually make the waiver wires weekly during the season. As an added bonus, most of them will even throw a check.

The "kicker" is, I'm not even sure anybody has even claimed that the team didn't make a mistake in hindsight. The issue I have is, unlike you, most of the other people acknowledge this hindsight. And they also don't attempt to make a point by mocking an opinion that they themselves felt and expressed for a decent period of time. Vegas was never taking Jack Johnson.​

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Only 1 PP for every team, such a clean immaculate hockey.

Who else remembers the goalie interference calls vs. Washington? Where can I see them again?

Clear incidental contact during a goal leading to a PP (goal?) the other way.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Forgive the 'copy and paste'.

But, its amazing to me that you continue to "harp" on this over and over when you literally expressed the opinion multiple times that you NOW sarcastically mock, over and over and over and over...

Cyclones Rock said:

I do hope that the FO isn't expending any resources to keep Wild Bill.

He's an easily replaceable spare part who went 45 games or so without a goal.​

Cyclones Rock said:
Anyone who real thinks that a player like Karlsson moves the meter for a hockey team in a substantial way doesn't get NHL hockey personnel options. Wild Beel-type players are available all the time during the off season and usually make the waiver wires weekly during the season. As an added bonus, most of them will even throw a check.

The "kicker" is, I'm not even sure anybody has even claimed that the team didn't make a mistake in hindsight. The issue I have is, unlike you, most of the other people acknowledge this hindsight. And they also don't attempt to make a point by mocking an opinion that they themselves felt and expressed for a decent period of time. Vegas was never taking Jack Johnson.​
To be fair, he has at one point acknowledged that he got that wrong... he just then immediately segues into "BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER", and absolutely refuses to ever consider whether or not similar considerations might apply to, oh, anyone else on the roster. So he pays lip service to the idea of acknowledging error while steadfastly refusing to learn a thing from it.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
To be fair, he has at one point acknowledged that he got that wrong... he just then immediately segues into "BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER",

Right, which makes the quote, "Anyone who real thinks that a player like Karlsson moves the meter for a hockey team in a substantial way doesn't get NHL hockey personnel options."

That much "better"....

Reactions: Nanabijou
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad