Around Hockey XX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
McPhee has earned his pay many times over already.
Because of course now that he has ostensible Great Players Of Greatness, keeping them - and keeping them performing well, and not overpaying them so that he can keep that team competitive going forward - is totally not a consideration at all. Nope. Not one bit.

* * *​
That said, I'm cheering for these guys. Aside from the fact Vegas is the closet NHL to my home they are just so much fun to watch play. As a fan of hockey I enjoy seeing them play, so yeah, go knights.
I want to be cheering for them. It's just difficult because of the constant flow of "yeah well but William Karlsson therefore everything sucks and you're stupid". It's as though certain posters here can't get over the fact that he was once ours, and they're bound and determined to drag us all down to their misery level.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's an RFA. This should make it harder to snatch him.

And give up 4 first round picks as compensation? No thanks...unless if this sort of idea would be to handcuff McPhee and give out a potentially bad contract if 100% matched.

There's no reason to even discuss offer sheets. They never ever happen.

I hereby vow to never, ever, forget the :sarcasm: again. I was merely tweaking the we should have never let Karlsson go crowd.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
lol @ what Vegas is doing. Geez. I'm sure there is something that can be learned here around the rest of the league. Not sure what that is, but there's a lesson here somewhere.

Some of their success can likely be attributed to catching 'lightning in a bottle' in that many of their players are having career years.

But, I think there are some lessons that teams (and maybe some posters here) could learn from their success:

1. Speed is paramount in the new NHL

2. Buying into the team concept is critical - the old chip on the shoulder, 'it's us against the world' can be powerful motivation for players

3. you don't need to have a top 3 draft pick 'superstar' to be successful (yes, I know Fleury was a top pick, but he was expected to be on the downside of his career at this point). The expansion draft rules enabled Vegas to pick a number of second-third line forwards and D. Now, some of those players have shown they should actually be first liners. But, I think people who bemoan the fact that you need to win the lottery in order to be successful should learn from the success of Vegas and see that if you have 4 good lines, solid D and great goaltending you can win in today's NHL without a McJesus superstar.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Because of course now that he has ostensible Great Players Of Greatness, keeping them - and keeping them performing well, and not overpaying them so that he can keep that team competitive going forward - is totally not a consideration at all. Nope. Not one bit.

Obviously his job continues as the team continues, but it is a little off to suggest he's going to have to start earning his keep given what he's done thus far.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I hereby vow to never, ever, forget the :sarcasm: again. I was merely tweaking the we should have never let Karlsson go crowd.

You made me go back and look. I didn't take that post seriously. About the only thing that triggers me a bit is when the fans get apologetic to our FO or dismiss Karlsson as a fluke. Now having said that our FO is really good at giving contracts like that (term dollars, not RFA poaching) with players after breakout seasons and then handing them NMC/NTC's.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Obviously his job continues as the team continues, but it is a little off to suggest he's going to have to start earning his keep given what he's done thus far.
He already made some questionable moves this season. That Shipachov disaster, all those old D's he choose and couldn't deal for picks, Tatar deal, paying Brassard salary. I actually think they are winning despite of all his effort. this is all luck, Flower and Gallant, yeah and Bettman :)

Reactions: cslebn

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Some of their success can likely be attributed to catching 'lightning in a bottle' in that many of their players are having career years.

But, I think there are some lessons that teams (and maybe some posters here) could learn from their success:

Personally, I've learned that we didn't give Gallant enough credit around here.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He already made some questionable moves this season. That Shipachov disaster, all those old D's he choose and couldn't deal for picks, Tatar deal, paying Brassard salary. I actually think they are winning despite of all his effort. this is all luck, Flower and Gallant, yeah and Bettman :)
One of your most ridiculous posts. Shipachov's situation was cleaned up early. Brassard's salary is chicken feed and Tatar may or may not work out.

Something about not being able to see the forest through the trees comes to mind

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I took the implication of this quote

to be that he hasn't up to this point earned his pay.
I meant more along the lines of "that's going to be when his job gets even harder", not "he's had it easy up 'till now". I tend to ninja-edit ambiguities like that when I realize I've written them, but have been... less able to do that lately.
shakefist.gif

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

1. Speed is paramount in the new NHL

2. Buying into the team concept is critical - the old chip on the shoulder, 'it's us against the world' can be powerful motivation for players

3. you don't need to have a top 3 draft pick 'superstar' to be successful (yes, I know Fleury was a top pick, but he was expected to be on the downside of his career at this point). The expansion draft rules enabled Vegas to pick a number of second-third line forwards and D. Now, some of those players have shown they should actually be first liners. But, I think people who bemoan the fact that you need to win the lottery in order to be successful should learn from the success of Vegas and see that if you have 4 good lines, solid D and great goaltending you can win in today's NHL without a McJesus superstar.
Very good post.....interesting we’ve generally been at our best when rolling 4 lines. That’s what Vegas has done.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Great game last night between Washington & TB. Bad news is Washington won, good news is we get to watch a game 7.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Great game last night between Washington & TB. Bad news is Washington won, good news is we get to watch a game 7.

I went to this game, it was a blast live. Definitely closer than the score would indicate, lots of breakdowns and good scoring chances missed on both sides.

Also, caps fans are a lot quieter than CBJ's :)

Reactions: MoeBartoli

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So apparently Kane is signing a 7 year 49 million dollar deal with San Jose. Although Kane played great in limited games with San Jose, that's a lot. Price for Panarin went higher imo.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
We can say with certainty that the road to the Stanley Cup Final goes through Columbus the last 2 years.

Unfortunately we can also say that road is travelled without much difficulty.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Lots of funny comments above. Very good. I haven't seen Vegas play much but if Washington plays D like they did the last 2 games I can't see any way Vegas wins. Looking forward to the series and will root for Vegas.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We can say with certainty that the road to the Stanley Cup Final goes through Columbus the last 2 years.

Unfortunately we can also say that road is travelled without much difficulty.

VERY close to being up 3-0

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'd love to see Ovi get a cup.

I don't want Vegas to win out of jealousy and bitterness... there I said it. Pay your dues and dwell in the cellar for a decade.

I'm starting to come around to this. I think I'll still be rooting for Vegas, but I feel like Ovi is actually starting to deserve it.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->