Around Hockey XX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Caps are really taking it to Vegas tonight.

Fun to watch them play so well but go knights.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Holtby was insane. Reffs were outrageous with their Pens west calls for Vegas.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Forgive the 'copy and paste'.

But, its amazing to me that you continue to "harp" on this over and over when you literally expressed the opinion multiple times that you NOW sarcastically mock, over and over and over and over...

Cyclones Rock said:

I do hope that the FO isn't expending any resources to keep Wild Bill.

He's an easily replaceable spare part who went 45 games or so without a goal.​

Cyclones Rock said:
Anyone who real thinks that a player like Karlsson moves the meter for a hockey team in a substantial way doesn't get NHL hockey personnel options. Wild Beel-type players are available all the time during the off season and usually make the waiver wires weekly during the season. As an added bonus, most of them will even throw a check.

The "kicker" is, I'm not even sure anybody has even claimed that the team didn't make a mistake in hindsight. The issue I have is, unlike you, most of the other people acknowledge this hindsight. And they also don't attempt to make a point by mocking an opinion that they themselves felt and expressed for a decent period of time. Vegas was never taking Jack Johnson.​
No news here bus boy . I took the mea culpa on this ages ago. I didn't get to see him in practice and I was also unaware of his commitment to an extremely rigorous off season training regimen. That said, I get a solid D- on my evaluation.

Torts, Yarmo and JD have no such excuses. They receive the "F" grade.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wison was going for a high hit on Reaves when he got popped.

Game came down to two things Holtby's save and Orpik's bouncy goal although I thought the Caps were the better team last night. Still a very entertaining game.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Sorry V, but this is the Around Hockey Thread....

Is it me of has WK looked lost and ineffective out there? I think Matty C had more impact against the Caps. Looks lost at times on the ice.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Is it me of has WK looked lost and ineffective out there? I think Matty C had more impact against the Caps. Looks lost at times on the ice.

In every Caps series there have been stretches during which their opponent looked lost/confused/ineffective. I think there’s a common thread there.

I know we’ve already fussed this in the thread and I don’t wanna go down the close/not close Road again but... 2OT from being up 3-0...

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
In every Caps series there have been stretches during which their opponent looked lost/confused/ineffective. I think there’s a common thread there.

I know we’ve already fussed this in the thread and I don’t wanna go down the close/not close Road again but... 2OT from being up 3-0...

Thank the hockey lords that didn't happen, losing 4-3 after going up 3-0 would have been even more embarrassing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thank the hockey lords that didn't happen, losing 4-3 after going up 3-0 would have been even more embarrassing.

I'm not saying anything in particular would or wouldn't have happened. I don't care to go down those paths. But the fact remains the Jackets were up 2 games to 0 and in double-overtime in that series.

But that scrambled, disorganized unit we chalked up to Same Old Playoff Jackets in the rest of that series? Every one of the Caps' opponents this postseason has had that look at some point.

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm not saying anything in particular would or wouldn't have happened. I don't care to go down those paths. But the fact remains the Jackets were up 2 games to 0 and in double-overtime in that series.

But that scrambled, disorganized unit we chalked up to Same Old Playoff Jackets in the rest of that series? Every one of the Caps' opponents this postseason has had that look at some point.

It's mostly just unfortunate we couldn't get the fake points many here care about, AKA the points you get for winning a round 1 or 2 in the POs before losing to the eventual champs.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's mostly just unfortunate we couldn't get the fake points many here care about, AKA the points you get for winning a round 1 or 2 in the POs before losing to the eventual champs.

I'm hoping I am misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you're saying winning a round or two doesn't matter if you don't win the Cup.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

As if winning a round or 2 wouldn't have a positive impact on the team.

Only 1 team can win the cup.

The idea that 29 (or 25) teams failed, is ridiculous.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Guess I might have needed the sarcasm emoji for that last one. It wasn't even funny or a good joke. Can't win 'em all, eh?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The objection is mostly to using that name as a blunt instrument all over the place, so if I was in a forgiving mood I'd forgive this one.

At the immediate moment, I think I'm in a forgiving mood. I can't guarantee that that'll last, though. :)

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Guess I might have needed the sarcasm emoji for that last one. It wasn't even funny or a good joke. Can't win 'em all, eh?

Ah... I am normally 100% against the 'sarcasm emoji' as it (imo) simply goes against the concept of sarcasm. When done "right", the :sarcasm: is unnecessary and takes something away from the comment/joke.

The problem is, we have a pretty "large" contingent of people here who seriously feel this way and express these ideas on here regularly.

1 of my "favorite" most recent quotes is, "back to back playoff bounces".....

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Ok, going back this should have been enough of a "hint", but this "loser mentality" and "ok with failure" thing has me a lil touchy. And quite frankly, I think there's people who would say something like this and be 100% serious.

Stay "emoji-less" brotha.

It might not have been delivered as "smooth" as a nice sarcastic comment, but I hope this little back and forth still highlights how ridiculous the idea is that this team has been a "failure" in ANY WAY, the last 2+ years.

Besides DUMPING William Karlsson of course.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Back to back playoff appearances is a good thing. Literally there is no negative to it. However, management said the goal is to win the Stanley Cup. They didn't win a round. By their own standards its a failure.

On the other spectrum, Colorado way over achieved and probably didn't expect to contend for a playoff spot, let alone win 2 games against the #1 seed in the league. They didn't have a failure of a year because they had no expectations. We have expectations (as do they, now), thus our season was a disappointment.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad