OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What sucks is reducing capacity is pretty much the only thing they can do thanks to the bans on mask measures and vaccine passports, lol. Personally I've been going to games with a KN95 mask. Was going to stop doing that with cases rock bottom and having been boosted but now with Omicron I guess I have to continue.

As NHL’s COVID cases mount, Lightning ask what more they can do

Despite the strong vaccination status across the NHL, ice rinks are one of the worst environments for COVID to fester in sports, leading to higher percentages of viral loads lasting for a longer period of time, experts say.

“Ice rinks are really interesting when it comes to ventilation and air flow,” said Krystal Pollitt, an assistant professor of epidemiology at Yale University who wrote a paper last year about the effects of ice rinks on spreading COVID. “We assume just because there are these really big indoor spaces that with a lot of cool air that’s being blown through that it must have really good ventilation, and air exchange. But that’s really not the case because you have these microclimate effects within the rink area, because you have this cooling that happens at the ice and then these barricades around the ice and you have this inversion effect to air becoming stagnant and effectively create a box over the sort of the surface of the ice rink.”

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah I remember reading about that. Seems pretty clear the players are way more at risk than the crowds surrounding the rink.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah I remember reading about that. Seems pretty clear the players are way more at risk than the crowds surrounding the rink.
They could probably find lots of spots to put fans. Underneath jumbotrons, behind endzone netting, above benches and penalty boxes, etc.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What sucks is reducing capacity is pretty much the only thing they can do thanks to the bans on mask measures and vaccine passports, lol. Personally I've been going to games with a KN95 mask. Was going to stop doing that with cases rock bottom and having been boosted but now with Omicron I guess I have to continue.

As NHL’s COVID cases mount, Lightning ask what more they can do

Well Stamkos is right and is raising the most important "end all" question of when does it end. The reason variants keep popping up is that enough people are still getting sick to mutate it and this is despite vaccine compliance. It'll probably end when we have an anti viral medication like a TamiFlu for COVID or at least when the ER's and ICU's aren't slammed with people anymore. For players? Keep doing what you're doing. Keep contact tracing measures and keep focused.

I think athletes at large in the USA have been stellar about staying well and because of that I do think we can play on and major sporting events don't need to be "super spreaders"

My last game was the night we won the Cup vs Montreal and freshly vaccinated being told that you were good to go without a mask. To no surprise I never got sick.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah to be honest they probably need a better way to distinguish between players that are actually sick and contagious vs those that are just testing positive on a PCR test, which doesn't really mean anything serious on its own. And overall everyone who is vaccinated should be okay. It's weird that we're treating it like it's a novel thing any more.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - Covid is now just a fact of life. Welcome to the new normal.

f***ing sucks but it's where we are. No way this goes away now.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm not really scared of it any more but I'm scared about hospitals being slammed again and again. Just want that part of it to end already.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Coral Springs, FL native (and former Jacksonville Icemen goalie) Kyle Keyser gets recalled to Boston.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Well Stamkos is right and is raising the most important "end all" question of when does it end. The reason variants keep popping up is that enough people are still getting sick to mutate it and this is despite vaccine compliance. It'll probably end when we have an anti viral medication like a TamiFlu for COVID or at least when the ER's and ICU's aren't slammed with people anymore. For players? Keep doing what you're doing. Keep contact tracing measures and keep focused.

I think athletes at large in the USA have been stellar about staying well and because of that I do think we can play on and major sporting events don't need to be "super spreaders"

My last game was the night we won the Cup vs Montreal and freshly vaccinated being told that you were good to go without a mask. To no surprise I never got sick.
Variants get ID'd in other countries.

Delta got spotted in India, which only had about 9% vaccinated in May (either full or partial doses). Omicron was ID'd in South Africa, which had 28% vaccinated by the same standards in November.

Helping the developing world, and addressing the diet issues in the US would probably take COVID from a pandemic to being endemic much quicker, but that ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: Discipline

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
At what point do we revisit the Ovy vs. Crosby debate?

It's over as far as I'm concerned. Ovechkin might break Gretzky's goal record. Crosby will always have the golden goal, 3 Cups and fanfare of a bigger body of work and the other could do something that is actually once in a lifetime in spite of having a fraction of the talent around him in teammates. Like there was Nik Backstrom, Holtby and you can maybe count the corpse of Fedorov. Mike Green scoring a bunch of goals and not being able to defend worth a damn doesn't count as help either

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's always an open question how good Crosby would be without Malkin splitting the workload. The Pens having a better record with only Malkin available versus only Crosby doesn't help his case.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The first presentation was a bit awkwardly put together, but I get what he's saying about a player's body language. Body language usually only hints at a player's thoughts. Unless something is blatant, trying to be Sherlock Holmes about every action is pointless. You have to know an individual's baseline behavior, and most of it is about self-soothing anyway.

Asynchronous coaching is interesting. There are some pretty clear applications for it, although I think when you start getting in to considering the logistics, it becomes much more complex. (do the videos belong to the coach or the team?) I figure that sites like icehockeysystems.com would become centralized hubs of those types of videos for most teams.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Covid is the new normal and we need to shift in the way we approach it. We should be focusing on keeping people out of the hospital and use pretreatment options that have shown to work in the US and around the world like monoclonal antibodies and disinfecting nasal solutions. Take the vaccine if you want to and hope it works. We shouldn't treat anyone different based on their covid booster shot/vaccine.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

If the NFL is doing it, it's probably just a matter of time.

Daily temp checks should be a thing, though. Can't believe everyone's word.

What I'm not sure on is (while the chances of severe myocarditis in totality are small) if the odds are effected by being asymptomatic. How would they know when to run tests? Seems the NFL will do random spot testing and contact tracing.

Edit: Pat Maroon just retweeted this

Maroon does not follow Ingraham on Twitter

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Yeah to be honest they probably need a better way to distinguish between players that are actually sick and contagious vs those that are just testing positive on a PCR test, which doesn't really mean anything serious on its own. And overall everyone who is vaccinated should be okay. It's weird that we're treating it like it's a novel thing any more.
Testing postive on a PCR test doesn't even mean you have covid. You need a blood test to verify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad