OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Congrats to Flower on win #500, thats half as many wins as we have as a franchise

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, I think they will probably play their scratches because China has no reason to be playing in this tournament. They have never even played in the top division of the IIHF tournament. I think Norway has and they've also played in the Olympics before
There's the Asian concept of 'face' (I'm way out of my depth here). The weeaboos will know what I'm talking about. It's called mianzi in Chinese if you want to research it.

The IIHF has to figure which would be better long-term, keep the Chinese team out of their own Olympics, or give them the respect to compete, but lose, likely by a lot. It may seem counterintuitive, but that's the culture.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Hate to see his career end up like this but kinda saw it happening.

Wish he could've gotten either a Vezina or a Cup under his belt. He'll be more or less forgotten over the years which is really a shame, because he was an insanely good goalie, just couldn't keep healthy. Three Vezina nominations is not a nothing feat.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Should the NHL not go to the Olympics, the Channel One Cup and Spengler Cup teams would be the basis for an NHL-less Team Canada.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Something to consider with China is that their internet is heavily censored, and the government is going to spy on everyone. So they're in their rooms in the Olympic village, with limited entertainment.

They could use a VPN to get around it, but I think that it's too risky, and they're in too much of a honeypot, for what should be a few weeks visit. Google, YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, etc. are all blocked.

Amazon may or may not be blocked right now. Some lists have it, but I put it in one of those firewall tests, and it was clear, so whatever is on Chinese Amazon Prime Video, if it exists, could be watched.

List of websites blocked in mainland China - Wikipedia

They can't go the VPN route, as we know that someone will slip up and post to their Instagram when they shouldn't be able to, and the Chinese will see it.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Oilers are imploding again. Can't say that I'm not enjoying it.

Their fans somehow brainwashed each other into thinking that Ken Holland is a good GM in 2021 and that Nurse and Keith are worth their contracts.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Panthers ruining their prize goalie prospect by leaving him in to get lit up for 8 goals.

shame-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Preds coaches John Hynes, Dan Lambert, Todd Richards, and goalie coach Ben Vanderklok are all out with COVID.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Kinda hoping we reduce capacity to implement social distancing measures. This can get out of control if you're not careful. Maybe like 50%? And reimburse STM's who opt out of games. No I don't want to see games cancelled. It's probably not necessary. We've got things under control here in our locker room and it's only a few teams having problems.

But for general health, anyone who has been paying attention knows Florida has all but stopped reporting cases. I won't go up in arms if the Lightning remain status quo, after this long I trust them. But it would seem like something they'd do. Safety matters most

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Kinda hoping we reduce capacity to implement social distancing measures. This can get out of control if you're not careful. Maybe like 50%? And reimburse STM's who opt out of games. No I don't want to see games cancelled. It's probably not necessary. We've got things under control here in our locker room and it's only a few teams having problems.

But for general health, anyone who has been paying attention knows Florida has all but stopped reporting cases. I won't go up in arms if the Lightning remain status quo, after this long I trust them. But it would seem like something they'd do. Safety matters most
What sucks is reducing capacity is pretty much the only thing they can do thanks to the bans on mask measures and vaccine passports, lol. Personally I've been going to games with a KN95 mask. Was going to stop doing that with cases rock bottom and having been boosted but now with Omicron I guess I have to continue.

As NHL’s COVID cases mount, Lightning ask what more they can do

Captain Steven Stamkos indicated Wednesday the Lightning have received booster shots, though the league has not mandated them.

“It’s tough, right? Because we get vaccinated and you get boosters and you do all the things that you’re trying to do to keep everyone safe, and then you still have those outbreaks,” Stamkos said. “I think the good thing is the vaccines are working. I’ve talked to a lot of guys that have had (the virus) who are either completely asymptomatic or (have) very minor, flulike symptoms. So that’s a positive. “It’s tough to see that, because we’ve tried to do everything that we can to keep things moving along here. So I don’t know where it ends, to be honest.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad