OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Maybe I'm just not the gambling type but a guy like Jack Hughes who hasn't shown much of anything at NHL level getting 8x8 just seems dumb to me. It could and probably will end up looking decent but still.

Reactions: Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Maybe I'm just not the gambling type but a guy like Jack Hughes who hasn't shown much of anything at NHL level getting 8x8 just seems dumb to me. It could and probably will end up looking decent but still.

If your team isn't competitive I think it's always beneficial to lock a high potential player in early, he's signed from ages 21-29 at 8m per season, that's will very likely be a steal for most of that contract even if you eat a bit of it early. The only time you really should bridge is if you have concerns about a players potential or if you're in a contender where every dollar matters. They won't get him at 8m if he pops out a PPG season.

People shit on Marner's contract but it's only bad because the Leafs are trying to contend, I'd rather have Marner at ages 21-27 at 10.9m than Tavares, or Doughty or Karlsson or Toews who all signed their big dollar deals at the end of their 20's into their mid 30's.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If your team isn't competitive I think it's always beneficial to lock a high potential player in early, he's signed from ages 21-29 at 8m per season, that's will very likely be a steal for most of that contract even if you eat a bit of it early. The only time you really should bridge is if you have concerns about a players potential or if you're in a contender where every dollar matters. They won't get him at 8m if he pops out a PPG season.

People shit on Marner's contract but it's only bad because the Leafs are trying to contend, I'd rather have Marner at ages 21-27 at 10.9m than Tavares, or Doughty or Karlsson or Toews who all signed their big dollar deals at the end of their 20's into their mid 30's.
Once you skip the bridge deal, the next guy is going to expect the same.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
That’s sad actually. What a poorly run organization. At least I still have one of their beautiful black jerseys in a box somewhere to tell my grandkids about this tragedy one day.

Edit - not so fast:

So what the Yotes are saying is that the lousy arena that they play in that is also miles from the population center that might support them if they didn't perennially suck which isn't even available to them next season yet with no new stadium on the horizon is no problem and that everything's cool.

OK, makes sense to me.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So what the Yotes are saying is that the lousy arena that they play in that is also miles from the population center that might support them if they didn't perennially suck which isn't even available to them next season yet with no new stadium on the horizon is no problem and that everything's cool.

OK, makes sense to me.
Apparently they might move to Tempe, AZ.

Imagine Tampa playing Tempe lulz.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Apparently they might move to Tempe, AZ.

Imagine Tampa playing Tempe lulz.
Tempe is a city/suburb of Phoenix, much like Glendale is. A 14,000 seat college arena is what's available there. Not that they'll ever draw that anyway (a problem even during their rare times of being competitive), but it is very much on the low end of what the NHL would find acceptable as a pro venue.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hockey in Houston and Quebec City needs to happen already. I'll believe the Coyotes are dead the day they actually move. Otherwise, do another expansion in 3-6 years. One grows the game in an enormous market, the other is a long awaited homecoming and a cash cow of its own.

Unrelated: Ottawa is such a trash heap. Jesus Christ only a team like that thinks a rebuild is over in that little time

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
That’s sad actually. What a poorly run organization. At least I still have one of their beautiful black jerseys in a box somewhere to tell my grandkids about this tragedy one day.

Edit - not so fast:

I was surprised to see they've actually made the playoffs 9 times in their history since 96-97. That's more than some other teams can say *cough cough Florida*.

They had a really nice stretch too between 2010-12 led by Bryzgalov and then Mike Smith where they had to play Detroit in '10, and '11, and then LA in the conference finals in '12. Detroit still had a lot of pieces left over from their Cup finals appearances in 2008 & 09 and LA won their first cup in 2012.

Like you said though, they're poorly run, and setting up this kind of tank job can have really negative lasting effects.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
The only reason to want hockey in Arizona over Houston is a general dislike for teams moving around. Which I get, but Houston's a better market on pretty much every dimension.

And there's already a history of hockey -- the Aeros always drew well (not to mention their great logo). They only had to leave town because of a stupid pissing match over the arena with Rockets -- the Aeros owner controlled the the old Summit and wouldn't let the Rockets break their lease, so when eventually Toyota Center was built and the Rockets controlled it he kept f***ing the Aeros over with rent hikes and date restrictions, eventually they had to pull out.

Having lived in both Tampa and Houston, I can tell you Houston could be as good a hockey town if they had as good ownership. Not quite as many northern transplants to help fill out the crowd, but more than you'd think.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The only reason to want hockey in Arizona over Houston is a general dislike for teams moving around. Which I get, but Houston's a better market on pretty much every dimension.

And there's already a history of hockey -- the Aeros always drew well (not to mention their great logo). They only had to leave town because of a stupid pissing match over the arena with Rockets -- the Aeros owner controlled the the old Summit and wouldn't let the Rockets break their lease, so when eventually Toyota Center was built and the Rockets controlled it he kept f***ing the Aeros over with rent hikes and date restrictions, eventually they had to pull out.

Having lived in both Tampa and Houston, I can tell you Houston could be as good a hockey town if they had as good ownership. Not quite as many northern transplants to help fill out the crowd, but more than you'd think.

Reminded me a hell of a lot of Tampa when I visited there to stay with a friend for a week. If my impression is right it should do just fine there if it can do as well as it has here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad