OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Isles would very possibly be back to back champs if we didn't exist... Now they're on a 10 game losing streak and last in their division.

In the strongest division in the league too. We won't have to worry about them this year.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Isles would very possibly be back to back champs if we didn't exist... Now they're on a 10 game losing streak and last in their division.

In the strongest division in the league too. We won't have to worry about them this year.

Metro's felt very underwhelming given the hype. NYI, Philly, and (least surprisingly) New Jersey are already nonfactors moving forward this season. Can't imagine any of them being in the playoff race, at least any playoff race that might concern us at all. I expected us to have an actual fight for a playoff spot, at least based on the early season standings, but we look like we're not far from cruising mode even with the injuries sustained.

Reactions: Hoek

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Don't know if the old boys' club in this league is hilarious or sad.

It's as if getting a guy you know sucks is better than someone who might or might not suck.

But hey, at least you know what you're getting.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

It's as if getting a guy you know sucks is better than someone who might or might not suck.

The Canucks also gave Bruce Boudreau a two-year deal.

I'm not sure who is making these decisions. The chairman Francesco Aquilini seems to be the guy, as there's no clear Team President or CEO.

John Weisbrod was let go as well. He was AGM for Jay Feaster in Calgary, so maybe TB hires him as a scout or something. He's familiar with the Orlando market, having been GM of the Solar Bears (and the Magic), so that could be valuable to the Lightning.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

The “create new manager” function has been disabled until further notice. Unfortunately we have no timetable to fix this issue. You can still hire and fire managers from the existing managers pool. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
To be fair, the last time the league hired a young upstart GM he ended up getting his team fined multiple draft picks, quit a day before the playoffs and then got suspended by the league.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

So Aquilini is the one that essentially picked and signed Gabby. I don't think Smyl would have given him a two-year deal like that.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't get why, if they like Trent Cull so much, they didn't make him the interim coach. Stan Smyl was saying that they needed a veteran coach that had been through that type of situation.

That's pretty limiting. Their AHL guy should theoretically be a stabilizing presence. He knows the guys and he knows the structure. Maybe they worried they would lose him if they didn't offer him the full time job, but that would be up to the new GM anyway.

What's really nuts though is that their new addition at assistant coach, Brad Shaw, has literally been in that exact scenario. His first year coaching in the NHL was on Steve Stirling's Islanders staff. Once Stirling got the boot, Shaw took over.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Jesus the Canucks forum is out of control. I don't think I have ever seen this many people this happy on HF ever. We are tame winning the Stanley Cup compared to these folks

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Lmao the points leaders for this tournament are going to be messed up because of China, McDavid about to score like 30 points in one game
It still seems unclear who will be on the team. If it's Canadians, then they might be able to put up a fight against Germany.

I have no idea who will be in goal, and that's key to all of this. The South China Morning Post says some stuff on it.
Goaltending may be a serious issue for China. Red Star have two players of Chinese descent on its roster – Paris O’Brien and Han Pengfei – however there are reports that American-born goalie Jeremy Smith, who played 10 games in the NHL, has been naturalised to play for China. Neither O’Brien nor Penfei have played a game this season in the KHL, according to the team’s website.
What will China’s hockey team face at Beijing 2022?

FWIW, O'Brien has played a few games now, and is starting today's game against Metallurg.

Players : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)
you can sort by nation on the left side and see everyone that the KHL considers to be from China (probably for import rule reasons)
Werek and Yuen played for OSB (Werek only one game, but he was fantastic), and Josh Nicholls was a constant thorn in the side.

Last edited:

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
It still seems unclear who will be on the team. If it's Canadians, then they might be able to put up a fight against Germany.

I have no idea who will be in goal, and that's key to all of this. The South China Morning Post says some stuff on it.

What will China’s hockey team face at Beijing 2022?

FWIW, O'Brien has played a few games now, and is starting today's game against Metallurg.

Players : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)
you can sort by nation on the left side and see everyone that the KHL considers to be from China (probably for import rule reasons)
Werek and Yuen played for OSB (Werek only one game, but he was fantastic), and Josh Nicholls was a constant thorn in the side.
I heard it was going to be Canadians playing for China but even then, Germany has some 1st round talents playing for them as well as Leon Draisaitl, I don't think it would be close

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I heard it was going to be Canadians playing for China but even then, Germany has some 1st round talents playing for them as well as Leon Draisaitl, I don't think it would be close
I'm sort of counting on teams to play their scratches and backups against China, or at least not to play their stars as many minutes. Germany has the least depth for that.

McDavid could be out there for 20 minutes, but why?

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
I'm sort of counting on teams to play their scratches and backups against China, or at least not to play their stars as many minutes. Germany has the least depth for that.

McDavid could be out there for 20 minutes, but why?
Yeah, I think they will probably play their scratches because China has no reason to be playing in this tournament. They have never even played in the top division of the IIHF tournament. I think Norway has and they've also played in the Olympics before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad