Armchair GMs II: Potential Red Wings Ideas & Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Well you do have a point, we shouldn't go after a top pairing dman because people age. And some people were born at different times.

:shakehead

Hope we can find a dman that shares Larkins birthday.

I'd just prefer someone younger. In the age 20-23 range.

Your post lacks any sort of point, assuming you were attempting to make one.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I'd just prefer someone younger. In the age 20-23 range.

Your post lacks any sort of point, assuming you were attempting to make one.

His point is that age should be a minimal detraction from Shatty's appeal. Defenseman take longer to develop than forwards, in a vacuum, but further to the point: we can't hold out for what's preferable. Doughty is preferable. Subban is preferable. Klingberg is pererable. But who's getting those guys? If Shatty is available, you throw everything at him that you can while its still a positive. He'd be the most purely talented defenseman we've had since the days of Lidstrom-Rafalski and you can move forward with him for at least five years comfortably.

By the time Mrazek and Larkin are in their prime, Dekeyser-Shattenkirk could actually be a respected 1st unit league-wide. Look no further than Lidstrom, Rafalski, Keith, Girardi, Giordano, Letang, Markov, Gonchar, Burns, Boyle, Chara, Zidlicky, Campbell, Martin, Boychuk, Greene (Andy), etc for guys who came into their own as defenseman at an older age than what Shatty and Dekeyser (and even Smith) are now.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Someone doesn't want shatty because his age isn't super young

No thanks I don't want lidstrom he's in his 40s old fart

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Shattenkirk would be incredible. Literally everyone besides Larkin and Mrazek should be available. He's a true 1D, right pp qb that can pass and carry the puck for us out of our zone.

And that's ignoring his incredible name. The jokes alone. Hockey's all about names.

He's exactly what this team needs and I'm going too be very sad watching someone else trade for him.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Blues need a center. We don't have that unfortunately and we aren't trading Larkin.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Someone doesn't want shatty because his age isn't super young

No thanks I don't want lidstrom he's in his 40s old fart

Assuming you're referring to me, I want you to go back and read all my posts. Please direct me to where I said I didn't want shattenkirk.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Assuming you're referring to me, I want you to go back and read all my posts. Please direct me to where I said I didn't want shattenkirk.

All I saw was someone quote saying someone didn't want shatty

But I don't know how you wouldn't automatically say yes

You are not going to get a dream dman around Larkins age through trading without giving up larkin

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Blues need a center. We don't have that unfortunately and we aren't trading Larkin.

What about Sheahan? I know it would be a very un-KH move but Sheahan is a center. My idea would be Sheahan+Howard(25% retained salary (or more if necessary))+2nd+conditional 1st for Shattenkirk (he has to resign).

Would that get it done? You think it's too much and we can't afford losing Sheahan? Doesn't matter regardless because Holland would never do that?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What about Sheahan? I know it would be a very un-KH move but Sheahan is a center. My idea would be Sheahan+Howard(25% retained salary (or more if necessary))+2nd+conditional 1st for Shattenkirk (he has to resign).

Would that get it done? You think it's too much and we can't afford losing Sheahan? Doesn't matter regardless because Holland would never do that?

for shatty?

trade sheahan plus nyquist or tatar plus a 1st

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
for shatty?

trade sheahan plus nyquist or tatar plus a 1st
Yeah Shatty.

Someone else mentioned them wanting a goalie so I was hoping a retained salary Howard could be the piece instead of Nyquist or Tatar. I'd prefer a conditional 1st too just because losing it and not signing him would be heart breaking.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
21gr1.gif

Nice job Kenny.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think Sheahan is more important for DRW than most of you think , I don't wont to see him go unless we got something huge , but then again he doesn't have a lot of volume. Just kip him , in the long run he is solid 2 way 2nd or 3rd line center who kills penalties , not soft good, not great just at anything

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
So i assume with Kindl being gone, Brendan Smith will now assume the role of healthy scratch once Q returns.

And for some reason i completely forgot Smith is making 2.75 million a season.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Waiving Jimmy would free up 1.3 Mllion cap space

As far as I can tell, were Howard to be waived today (not what we're talking about, just as an example), his cap hit would be 2/3 remaining over twice the years. There's a couple years of variation there due to this and that, but his cap hits moving forward would be:

1.5, 1.5, 2, 2.7, 1.7, 1.7, 1.7, 1.7.

Absent a buyout, his cap hit is 5.3ish for this year and the next three.

So, in year 0 (this year) there'd be a pro-rated +3.8 in space. 2017 a full +3.8, 2018 +1.8, 2019 +1.1.

There's some tagging issues to be aware of, but there are sufficient expiring contracts in 18 and 19 that I don't think they'd be insurmountable.

Again, not that I think this is the best path, but it's one that provides flexibility.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Howard isn't terrible in the playoffs.

Since 2009 among active goalies with at least 600 minutes of IT:

9th best unadjusted playoffs SV
10th best adjusted playoffs SV
3rd best SV for medium danger chances
18th best SV for high danger chances (ouch)
Faced 7th most shots.

If the Blues want a goalie with some playoff experience who probably won't **** the bed, Howard's not a bad choice. He won't win a series for you but he probably won't be the reason you lose either.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Shattenkirk is a great Dman but I would be wary. Playing him on the top pair in Detroit is a lot different than playing him on the 2nd pair in STL.

The price in a trade (and eventual contract extension) might not be indicative of his impact on whichever team he lands on

Kronwall looked like a surefire top pair guy when he was with Stuart on 2nd pair a few years ago and we have seen him struggle mightily at times having to be "the guy"

Just food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad