Armchair GMs II: Potential Red Wings Ideas & Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
if you could realistically make a trade or two to help this team and make them more consistent which players would you move on the wings and what players would you like to get in return? and please this is just hypotheically speaking so its just your thoughts.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Holland has to get over the idea of trading prospects for plugs and actually trade a roster player.

Chances are around 0.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wings are without Datsyuk, Green, Quincey, Richards and Franzen... which some of those guys should start returning as early as next week.

Who are you trading and for who? Mrazek and Larkin have trade value. You can probably get some bottom 4 dman for one of Tatar/Nyquist+

Mantha is at an all-time low in trade value.

Who are you trading?

This thread seems like a knee jerk reaction. Trade for the sake of trading.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I like the Vatanen for Nyquist/Tatar idea that's gone around.
Beyond that any trade involving Smith Kindl KFQ or even Ericsson for picks or whatever works for me. We might need to trade for replacements as well depending on who and how many of that group are moved but I'd like to have XO/Jensen/Marchenko fighting amongst themselves for the sixth spot.
Ideal blue line:
Kronwall-Green
DK-Vatanen
Ericsson-Marchenko
Tatar for Vatanen.
Smith Kindl and KFQ for picks/to AHL if nothing can be worked out.

Luke

Sep 16, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I like the Vatanen for Nyquist/Tatar idea that's gone around.
Beyond that any trade involving Smith Kindl KFQ or even Ericsson for picks or whatever works for me. We might need to trade for replacements as well depending on who and how many of that group are moved but I'd like to have XO/Jensen/Marchenko fighting amongst themselves for the sixth spot.
Ideal blue line:
Kronwall-Green
DK-Vatanen
Ericsson-Marchenko
Tatar for Vatanen.
Smith Kindl and KFQ for picks/to AHL if nothing can be worked out.

I like the Tatar for Vatanan too, though I'd hate to give Tatar up, that trade would fill a hole for both teams.

Agree with picks for Kindl or even Smith (who I like more than Kindl despite his case of the stupids), but I don't like the idea for Ericsson at all. Ericsson is a perfect bottom pair dman with skill, plus he's physical and one of the only guys on the roster who will drop the gloves and stick up for teammates. His only crime is being asked to play above his level on the top pair.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Smith for a sack of pucks. New pucks if Holland can negotiate hard, used pucks is realistic.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I could possibly see a deal around Tatar for Vatanen though I would hate to see Tats go Vatanen would be a nice upgrade for us on D and Tats to Anaheim could fill a void for the Ducks it could be a win win for both clubs.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I could possibly see a deal around Tatar for Vatanen though I would hate to see Tats go Vatanen would be a nice upgrade for us on D and Tats to Anaheim could fill a void for the Ducks it could be a win win for both clubs.

Agreed. Holland needs to step up and get more aggressive. Acquiring someone like Vatanen would really help this blueline on both ends of the ice.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Agreed. Holland needs to step up and get more aggressive. Acquiring someone like Vatanen would really help this blueline on both ends of the ice.

I didn't realize it, but Vatanen is the same height (5'10") and about 17ibs heavier than 18 year old Vili Saarijärvi.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I like Vatanen, but I am not sure how exactly he improves our top pair (which is our biggest weakness in my opinion).

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I like Vatanen, but I am not sure how exactly he improves our top pair (which is our biggest weakness in my opinion).

Adding a bonafide top 4 dman never hurts. He's not top pairing yet, but he did just turn 24. Plays 21 minutes a night. Has plenty of time to develop into a good #2. He is RH so you could realistically put him on the top pair. Good on the PP. Good puckmover. Definitely not a bad player to have, considering how mediocre this defense has been.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Yeah he has serious top pairing potential and as far as I'm concerned
Kronwall- Green
Dk-Vatanen
Would be a 1a 1b situation with both pairings essentially being the best second line in the league.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
What does everyone think the prospects of trading Smith and Kindl are? I honestly have no clue.

Is it that Holland wants more than other teams are willing to pay so nothing's happened yet?

Or are we talking a situation where teams won't even pony up a 7th for them (i.e. they're unmoveable)?

I guess it must be the second one if Kindl's still around. I hope some team will get desperate enough (injury or whatever) for an experienced dman that we can ship them out this season at some point.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah he has serious top pairing potential and as far as I'm concerned
Kronwall- Green
Dk-Vatanen
Would be a 1a 1b situation with both pairings essentially being the best second line in the league.
Looks more like a 2a 2b situation more than anything :p

Problem is our forwards currently aren't scoring and our defence is a total non-event when it comes to offensive input. You cant fix our defence by just leaving the same 5 of the same 6 guys running.

Our forwards have the right mix of talent (will be even better if we get a few guys back from injury) but just cant seem to score. How to fix this lineup is not easy.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
What does everyone think the prospects of trading Smith and Kindl are? I honestly have no clue.

Is it that Holland wants more than other teams are willing to pay so nothing's happened yet?

Or are we talking a situation where teams won't even pony up a 7th for them (i.e. they're unmoveable)?

I guess it must be the second one if Kindl's still around. I hope some team will get desperate enough (injury or whatever) for an experienced dman that we can ship them out this season at some point.

I think its both. They are near unmoveable but moveable. But holland wants more then teams are willing to give them.

Kindl is boosting up his trade value now though. So thats good. Hopefully he can keep it up but Holland realizes that he cant stay

johnnyarmstrong

Jun 14, 2015
More hated then he should be. But I doubt teams want him.

Any GM who takes the time to research him would love him. Leads Detroit D men in corsi for %, only Detroit D man with an expected goals for % above 50, is top 10 in the NHL for dcorsi impact amongst D men. He is good. People hold grudges for plays he has made in the past. Exhibit A: his turnover to Ryan Smyth many years ago.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Any GM who takes the time to research him would love him. Leads Detroit D men in corsi for %, only Detroit D man with an expected goals for % above 50, is top 10 in the NHL for dcorsi impact amongst D men. He is good. People hold grudges for plays he has made in the past. Exhibit A: his turnover to Ryan Smyth many years ago.

Any GM who watches him and doesn't just rely on stats isn't going to love him as much as you think.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

When he shows he can do it against something other than bottom tier competition, he'll get more praise. Until then....

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Id like to move anyone not named Larkin or Mrazek to acquire a young #1 defenseman

Build from there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wouldn't hate a deal for Hamhuis, Wideman, or Streit if they came cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad