Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Version 974. Or, the boulevard of broken dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We still need a 1st line right winger imo. Ferland isn't the answer long term.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think there is going to be a natural progression to Bennett being top 6 and Backlund either being the best 3rd line center in the NHL who is compensated like a #2 OR Backlund gets moved for a young top 6 winger.

It's been great that Backs and Frolik have mentored Tkachuk awesomely but best thing for this team will be for Tkachuk and Bennett to form our next super duo along with Monohan and Johnny. Backlund and Frolik can then be the third duo.

And I think that's all the salary cap will allow. Then like Chicago you move guys in and out with the three duos like Panik until they become too expensive.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Calc, what makes you think Mangiapane will be ready next year? I've seen you mention him multiple times now, so clearly you are quite high on him.

I've watched 4(?) Heat games this year, and while not examining his game, I didn't come away with the impression that he's a guy who will make a huge push next year.

I think Klimchuk is the most likely winger to make the team from the AHL next year, with Hathaway as well (though he wouldn't fill the same role as either. Then I agree with OKG that Dube could surprise, and I'd probably have him and Mangiapane in the same tier in terms of chances of stealing a spot.

This is also dependant on what management does with Jankowski (winger or centre to start) as I feel he is ready to make the jump.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
All I want to see brought in is one more Monahan/Backlund level talent brought in next season up front. The easiest way would be for Bennett to take a big step development wise but there are some question marks there obviously.

The Flames really struggle to generate and finish at times and I think that it is mainly because there isn't enough talent up front. The depth is great but one more ~55 point forward would go a long way to having a more consistent attack. I don't know what assets you move to get one of these guys but the Flames' window is opening now and next year they should have a real good shot at seriously competing if everything goes right this summer.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What is Klimchuks waiver status next year?

I don't think Mangiapane will make it next year. Although, he looks dangerous from the highlights I've watched.

My guess is Jankowski and Kulak are locks. Can't see them waiving Kulak. Andersson is a question mark if he's fit enough.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Calc, what makes you think Mangiapane will be ready next year? I've seen you mention him multiple times now, so clearly you are quite high on him.

I've watched 4(?) Heat games this year, and while not examining his game, I didn't come away with the impression that he's a guy who will make a huge push next year.

I think Klimchuk is the most likely winger to make the team from the AHL next year, with Hathaway as well (though he wouldn't fill the same role as either. Then I agree with OKG that Dube could surprise, and I'd probably have him and Mangiapane in the same tier in terms of chances of stealing a spot.

This is also dependant on what management does with Jankowski (winger or centre to start) as I feel he is ready to make the jump.

I think Mangiapane would be a better fit next to Bennett because of his speed and playmaking style (Dube would actually be pretty good too) but think of it less as Mangiapane specifically and more that I just hope they keep the spot available for any prospect (whether it's Klimchuk, Dube, Mangiapane or even Poirier) to grab.

Not sure about Klimchuk's speed but I've always seen him as Frolik's replacement, given the swiss army comparisons. So long term, I've always had him next to Backlund or Jankowski. Mangipane will also need to be placed in an offensive role to succeed while Klimchuk could play anywhere in the lineup, even the fourth line given his defensive abilities.

What is Klimchuks waiver status next year?

Waiver exempt until the 2018-19 season.

Mangiapane's got until the 2019-20 season.

For next year, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Hathaway, Kulak, and Culkin will all need waivers.

Of those players, Shinkaruk and Kulak are the only ones who might be claimed. Which is why I expect Shinkaruk to be dealt by the draft unless the Flames really think he has a legitimate chance at making the team next year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
^ in that case I could see Klinchuk getting a handful of games next year. And hopefully being an NHL regular buy 2018/19.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
You all honestly believe Flames can consistently legitimately contend for a cup (Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh) with Monahan and Backlund as our centers? I love Backlund as much as the next guy (I think he is better than Monahan), but I just dont see that. I hope I am wrong.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
You all honestly believe Flames can consistently legitimately contend for a cup (Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh) with Monahan and Backlund as our centers? I love Backlund as much as the next guy (I think he is better than Monahan), but I just dont see that. I hope I am wrong.

I mean, Chicago is a cup contender with a 1-2 of Toews and Anisimov. No slight to them, but if you were to look at only 1-2 centres of all 30 teams, I'm not sure you'd label that as "perennial contender". And Toews is one of my favourite players.

I get that good teams need good centres, but you also have to surround them with good players, which we have.

I don't see why Monahan can't be comparable to Toews within a couple years, and I probably take Backlund over Anisimov.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
I mean, Chicago is a cup contender with a 1-2 of Toews and Anisimov. No slight to them, but if you were to look at only 1-2 centres of all 30 teams, I'm not sure you'd label that as "perennial contender". And Toews is one of my favourite players.

I get that good teams need good centres, but you also have to surround them with good players, which we have.

I don't see why Monahan can't be comparable to Toews within a couple years, and I probably take Backlund over Anisimov.

Backlund is defintely better than Anisimov. I hope Monahan can get to that level.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

If a hypothetical #1C had Monahan's offense and Backlund's defense, and hypothetical #2C had Backlund's offense and Bennett/Monahan's defense (whomever you consider superior) and hypothetical #3C had (confident, not broken) Bennett's offense and Monahan/Bennett's defense (whomever you consider inferior) and hypothetical #4C was Matt Stajan, would you think we can legitimately contend for a cup?

The way our "roles" shake out in the different aspects of the game is unconventional. But I think we have some of the best center depth in the league.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Backlund is defintely better than Anisimov. I hope Monahan can get to that level.

Monahan can get to that level if he can play the 1st half like the 2nd half

Unfortunately, he is following Iginla's "how to start the season" footsteps

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I think there is going to be a natural progression to Bennett being top 6 and Backlund either being the best 3rd line center in the NHL who is compensated like a #2 OR Backlund gets moved for a young top 6 winger.

It's been great that Backs and Frolik have mentored Tkachuk awesomely but best thing for this team will be for Tkachuk and Bennett to form our next super duo along with Monohan and Johnny. Backlund and Frolik can then be the third duo.

What you seem to be ignoring is that the GM can't make Tkachuk and Bennett be a ~super duo~ with the power of his mind just because it would be the best thing for this team.

Bennett has shown ZERO indication of overtaking Backlund on the depth chart. Moving Backlund because Bennett being better than Backlund would be the best thing for the team is a very stupid idea.

How about we worry about the logjam at C if it ever becomes a concern instead of offloading one of our best players because we want another player to be better than him?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How about we worry about the logjam at C if it ever becomes a concern instead of offloading one of our best players because we want another player to be better than him?

I'm probably Bennett's biggest fan on HF. I have almost the least concern about his future success out of anyone and I am confident that with his skillset and high-end IQ he's going to be a better player than either Monahan or Backlund.

I also agree with you 100%.

Losing Backlund would be like when the Avalanche lost Stastny and ROR in consecutive years... just terrible management that makes your team less talented, less experienced, less deep and puts your younger players in positions to fail. They went from a Division Title to worst team in the league. The parallels between Duchene/Monahan and MacKinnon/Bennett are obvious. It's a thin margin in this league. We don't have a Bergeron or Kopitar calibre #1C. We have different players who fill their roles exceptionally well.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think Mangiapane would be a better fit next to Bennett because of his speed and playmaking style (Dube would actually be pretty good too) but think of it less as Mangiapane specifically and more that I just hope they keep the spot available for any prospect (whether it's Klimchuk, Dube, Mangiapane or even Poirier) to grab.

Not sure about Klimchuk's speed but I've always seen him as Frolik's replacement, given the swiss army comparisons. So long term, I've always had him next to Backlund or Jankowski. Mangipane will also need to be placed in an offensive role to succeed while Klimchuk could play anywhere in the lineup, even the fourth line given his defensive abilities.

Don't disagree at all, and highly agree with the bold.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Kinda hoping Jankowski and Bennett wind up on a line together next season.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ???
Tkachuk - Backlund - ???
Bennett - Jankowski - ??? (or flip Bennett to C and Janks on the wing)

or move Tkachuk to the RW and go with;

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
??? - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - ???

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Kinda hoping Jankowski and Bennett wind up on a line together next season.

Gaudreau - Monahan - ???
Tkachuk - Backlund - ???
Bennett - Jankowski - ??? (or flip Bennett to C and Janks on the wing)

or move Tkachuk to the RW and go with;

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
??? - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - ???

Pretty sure Bennett will be with Tkachuk next year. While Backs had a half an amazing year, the other half was pretty average. Fan boys say Backs is the most consistent Flame, which he is defensively, but in all actuality, the top line was only poor for a quarter and a half. Something that can be expected when rewarding 23-24 year olds millions of dollars

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Pretty sure Bennett will be with Tkachuk next year. While Backs had a half an amazing year, the other half was pretty average. Fan boys say Backs is the most consistent Flame, which he is defensively, but in all actuality, the top line was only poor for a quarter and a half. Something that can be expected when rewarding 23-24 year olds millions of dollars

Gaudreau - Monahan - ???
Tkachuk - Bennett - ???
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Really I wouldn't mess with our top 6. Having two lines going is really good. If we can get a Bennett-Jankowski pairing to become a solid third pair the we could compete with anyone.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
A 2nd line of tkachuk-bennett-ferland would be a huge headache for opposing teams. Gaudreau drives possession on the first line so with cap restrictions I think him and Mony's open spot is more interchangeable.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really wouldn't mind seeing:
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Chiasson

As a top 9. Slow Janko into the NHL doing it the way we always do; by giving him our best all around centre :laugh:

I just dont think swinging Bennett to wing and Jankowski to centre is the right move next year. Bennett just has too high of a ceiling to move to wing.

Those three lines would give nightmares to most teams; three balanced and tough to play against lines.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

And I think that's all the salary cap will allow. Then like Chicago you move guys in and out with the three duos like Panik until they become too expensive.

If Bennett has a monster playoffs, I really hope we can get Arvidsson for Backlund. And we really don't need to worry about size, size isn't an issue.

Dream offensive line:

Gaudreau-Johnson-Atkinson. All American players under 5'9 (Please happen 2018 Olympics)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad