Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Version 974. Or, the boulevard of broken dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Even Stajan's lackluster production dwarves Steve Ott's production the last several years.

Whatever round the pick might be the point stands that his contract makes him a pretty flexible asset at the deadline.

To be fair, you don't get Steve Ott for his offense. You get him for his faceoff skill, PK and pest factor.

And sure. I can see some team biting on him for depth, but I just don't see if being much value. More than Vegas sees in having Brouwer for 3 years anyways.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
To be fair, you don't get Steve Ott for his offense. You get him for his faceoff skill, PK and pest factor.

And sure. I can see some team biting on him for depth, but I just don't see if being much value. More than Vegas sees in having Brouwer for 3 years anyways.

Of course, I am just arguing that I can see him getting more than what Ott returned.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That'd be interesting.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Jankowski - Lazar
? - ? - Hathaway

Lomberg/Klimchuk/Shink - F Hamilton - Hathaway assuming no forwards acquisitions? Is Bouma 13th?

I think if Bread mimics Lomberg, it'll be an interesting few guys we could place in our bottom 6 long term. Lomberg is of the same mold as Tkachuk. I love it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Random question of the day:

Between Lomberg and Mangiapane, which of the two gets a cup of coffee on the Flames first?

Lomberg is older and definitely part of the culture fabric in Stockton. He was the captain of the young stars tourney IIRC and is a few steps ahead of Mangiapane who IIRC isn't too far behind. But both are buried in LW depth and the only open slot probably is given to Klimchuk if it opens. Both probably don't even have a chance to play until late next season if injuries pile up.

Personally, I think Lomberg is #2 after Klimchuk for a call up. I don't know what's wrong with Shink. I think Shink and Mangiapane are currently equal. The order could be different come preseason though.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Between Lomberg and Mangiapane, which of the two gets a cup of coffee on the Flames first?

Lomberg is older and definitely part of the culture fabric in Stockton. He was the captain of the young stars tourney IIRC and is a few steps ahead of Mangiapane who IIRC isn't too far behind. But both are buried in LW depth and the only open slot probably is given to Klimchuk if it opens. Both probably don't even have a chance to play until late next season if injuries pile up.

Personally, I think Lomberg is #2 after Klimchuk for a call up. I don't know what's wrong with Shink. I think Shink and Mangiapane are currently equal. The order could be different come preseason though.

I agree with Lomberg, simply because whoever they call up will likely be a 4th line fill-in, which I doubt they'd want to waste Mangiapane on.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Definitely Lomberg. Fast, fiesty, good penalty killer. Perfect fit for the bottom 6.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It depends who gets hurt and what role needs to be filled. Lomberg might get a chance in a checking role and Mangiapane a more skill role.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It depends who gets hurt and what role needs to be filled. Lomberg might get a chance in a checking role and Mangiapane a more skill role.

Pretty much this.

As someone who gets to watch the Heat more than most of us, can you give us a quick synopsis of how Mangiapane did this year?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pretty much this.

As someone who gets to watch the Heat more than most of us, can you give us a quick synopsis of how Mangiapane did this year?
I never had AHL live this year, my payment was returned twice, so I finally just told them to **** off. I listened to several games, but I find I don't pay enough attention when I just listen :laugh:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
That'd be interesting.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Jankowski - Lazar
? - ? - Hathaway

I'd be fine with this, but I'd want the Flames to bring in an enforcer type for that 4th line (Hathaway is a physical player, but I'd want someone with a real mean streak. McGratton type).

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Pretty much this.

I don't watch the heat games. But listening to Huska every week, he had a really good start, and really good finish. Terrible in the middle. Much like the team as a whole.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wonder if Smith takes a step next season. He's been forgotten about, but he's a huge powerfoward and there guys take time to develop. He could honestly still become an elite 4th/3rd liner.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I wonder if Smith takes a step next season. He's been forgotten about, but he's a huge powerfoward and there guys take time to develop. He could honestly still become an elite 4th/3rd liner.

I expect him to. He played about as well as someone possibly could this season considering his age and deployment. If he ends up playing top 6 minutes I think he will show that he can contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->