Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: The other one was locked and LazarBeams asked for a new one so I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
On Fan 960, Smith being interviewed about his puck handling.

Q: looking forward to throwing a pass up to Gaudreau?

A: Looking forward to passing it to some guys that can actually score

:lol:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
On Fan 960, Smith being interviewed about his puck handling.

Q: looking forward to throwing a pass up to Gaudreau?

A: Looking forward to passing it to some guys that can actually score

:lol:

****ing savage

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Grigorenko could be a good pickup, why didn't the Avs choose to qualify him?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Come on....he's done nothing to earn the $4 million! Even if we had to chip in the extre 200 000, it's still better than a 1st + 2 2nds. I'll like the deal if we can sign Stone for $3 million. If Stone walks, you don't give up multiple picks in the first 2 rounds, for moderate improvement and $200 000 in cap savings

You can argue until you're blue in the face about whether he should or shouldn't get big money. But it's perfectly within his rights to go after big money in UFA, and likely someone out there will offer it.

If they don't, I agree he'll land back here in all likelihood, because I think he wants to be here.

I do disagree with you about the level of upgrade Hamonic is over Stone, though. I think it's a big upgrade.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
You can argue until you're blue in the face about whether he should or shouldn't get big money. But it's perfectly within his rights to go after big money in UFA, and likely someone out there will offer it.

If they don't, I agree he'll land back here in all likelihood, because I think he wants to be here.

I do disagree with you about the level of upgrade Hamonic is over Stone, though. I think it's a big upgrade.

I guess I just assumed a deal was already in place, with that kind of return. I'd probably flip a table or two if Stone signs a $3 million deal with the Isles. If he signs for big money, somewhere, I'd laugh all the way to the bank.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015

Not sure how I feel about that. Think he's a great middle 6 winger for us and played well with Bennett. On the other hand maybe we finally get Hamilton on the #1 PP unit??

Can see him getting a 2.5-3 mill deal for 2-3 years and not sure that fits. Quite the turn around for him

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Brad Treliving mentioned "skill up-front" as something they were looking at in UFA. The guys that come to mind who fit that would be:

Williams (I am a fan. A big fan)
Thornton (imagine Joe Thornton playing RW (a la international play) on a line with Bennett and maybe Versteeg)
Radulov (probably too pricey)
Sharp (not feeling it after a injury plagued year. But he is a good player no doubt)
Versteeg (but that's kind of obvious)
Weal (the NHL sample size is small, but the overall career sample oozes skill)
Iginla (showed he can still play. But with Brouwer it might be tough to have two RWs who bleed possession. Would welcome him back if we can find a Brouwer Taker)
Gagner (lol. Imagine Sam Gagner as a Calgary Flame)
Pitlick (really injury prone and mostly unproven)
Vrbata (I don't like him but there is history there)
Hudler/Marleau/Jagr (not ruling them out, but it feels unlikely)

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Versteeg played his butt off for the Flames but with Lazar penciled in on the wing it reduces the number of spots available. The cost of signing Versteeg long term could cause issues with contracts moving forward.

Personally I like the idea of signing Iggy to a 1 year contract with bonuses.

Iggy brings a professional's leadership and hunger for the cup to the kids. To sit in a dressing room with someone that has been fighting for a Cup for over 20 years would be a great motivator. When the playoffs come along and the games become tighter these older guys have the ability to thrive. Look no further than Cullen in Pitt.

Iggy may have lost a half a stride or so but that shot is as good as it has ever been and the class of the man has never went away. It would be the perfect end to a script started 23 years ago this December.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Brad Treliving mentioned "skill up-front" as something they were looking at in UFA. The guys that come to mind who fit that would be:

Thornton (imagine Joe Thornton playing RW (a la international play) on a line with Bennett and maybe Versteeg)
Sharp (not feeling it after a injury plagued year. But he is a good player no doubt)
Iginla (showed he can still play. But with Brouwer it might be tough to have two RWs who bleed possession. Would welcome him back if we can find a Brouwer Taker)
I could actually get behind Hudler on a cheap cheap deal. He was very well liked in the locker room and has a good history with Monahan and Gaudreau. I don't know if there's anything left in the tank with him but if it were 1 year, 1 mil or something I wouldn't be opposed to it. Worst case he can't score and has lost the one dimension he has and spends the year in the press box or a mutual termination and he goes over seas.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

That would eliminate Iginla and Hudler cause their skills were gone a couple yrs ago.

If they expect Iginla to do anything more than an emotional cheerleader on the bench, it's a catastrophic failures

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Jagr should be on the list. Even at 45, he might be one of the best suited to compliment Gaudreau and Monahan. Possibly one of the cheapest legitimate options too.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
No to Radulov, too much money, left handed shot, bad attitude, wants too much term, etc. Williams is my go to guy. Otherwise I'd like Sharp, Vrbata, Weal, or Gagner.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
No to Grigorenko. He really doesn't fill any form of a need, and there is a logjam for LW/C as is. No more projects.

Williams would be my #1 choice. I'd definitely invite Iggy to training camp if he'd accept though.

Also, any chance we might see Pribyl this year?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Come on....he's done nothing to earn the $4 million! Even if we had to chip in the extre 200 000, it's still better than a 1st + 2 2nds. I'll like the deal if we can sign Stone for $3 million. If Stone walks, you don't give up multiple picks in the first 2 rounds, for moderate improvement and $200 000 in cap savings

I think that you are underestimating the gap between harmonic and stone. Harmonic and brodie is on paper a 1st d pair. That gives us two. Stone brodie was unquestionably a #2 pairing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad