Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Parts Unknown - Hey how about Bennett for Lindholm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Wasn't he traded to Florida? And just ended up staying there?

Oh you're right, for some reason I thought he'd signed as a free agent.

I don't even know what Jagr's MO is at this point, though. What does he want? Another cup? To be the European Gordie Howe?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

I don't even know what Jagr's MO is at this point, though. What does he want? Another cup? To be the European Gordie Howe?

I genuinely believe that Jagr has stayed so good for so long because he doesn't really have an MO- the guy just loves to play hockey.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Genuinely likes playing hockey. Doesn't mind the stigma (nor is there really much of one) of being a wandering gun for hire.

Has Jagr ever played for a Canadian team?

Don't think so, no. Got close to signing with Edmonton and Montreal though I think.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jaromir-jagr-left-philadelphia-flyers-due-to-parise-suter-wait/

"I always wanted to play in Canada, and I wanted to go to Montreal if I had a chance," he said. "Montreal wasn't interested, and then all of a sudden, I got a call from (Stars general manager) Joe Nieuwendyk and I was very happy."

After his stint in Dallas, I think he said he preferred East coast travel schedule, but I can't find a quick and dirty source for that quote, sorry.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...lers/jagr-admits-he-almost-signed-with-oilers

Edit: Source for almost signing in Edmonton.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/j...-him-into-all-star-game-3-on-3-would-kill-me/

Edit2: Source stating idea that Jagr "is getting old" and probably doesn't want to play top line minutes.

Edit3: I am wrong, travel schedule isn't an issue for Jagr. But who knows if things have changed since then

One of the biggest questions about his decision to play in Dallas is the fact that he's never played outside of the Eastern Conference and it was felt he wanted no part of the tough travel schedule of a team like the Stars. Yet Jagr quickly laughed off that question and referred to his time playing in the KHL as a sign he's not bothered by the schedule.

"I was three years in Russia and I was playing in Omsk, and our shortest trip was 2.5 hours," said Jagr with a chuckle. "We were flying five and six hours to play teams, so I don't think anything in Dallas will be much different."

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/7...gr-not-concerned-with-travel-happy-to-be-with

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
One of the ESPN Mock Expansion drafts had vegas picking Stajan. I cannot fathom why they would do this, but I think this is my favorite scenario. He has a 3.5 million cap hit that we could get rid of. Brouwer might be better to get rid of, but I have a feeling a big playoff push by him will change our minds.
FWIW the other two drafters had vegas taking Ferland, which will be impossible because there's not a snowballs chance in hell we don't protect him after the recent push he's made.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
One of the ESPN Mock Expansion drafts had vegas picking Stajan. I cannot fathom why they would do this, but I think this is my favorite scenario. He has a 3.5 million cap hit that we could get rid of. Brouwer might be better to get rid of, but I have a feeling a big playoff push by him will change our minds.
FWIW the other two drafters had vegas taking Ferland, which will be impossible because there's not a snowballs chance in hell we don't protect him after the recent push he's made.

I really hope we lose Brouwer. Stajan has played extremely well this season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I really hope we lose Brouwer. Stajan has played extremely well this season.

As much as I see why quite a few of you want Brouwer out, I cannot see Treliving do that. I'm more willing to believe he pays a reasonable incentive to Vegas to ignore Lazar and pick Stajan.

Theoretically, I'm guessing something like rights to Chiasson and TSpoon to ignore Lazar (Brouwer + Ferland protected) and pick Stajan and hand shake agreement to not compete with Vegas in re-signing Engelland.

Cost wouldn't be high, log jam removed, keep guy you want... win for both teams.

I'm also guessing if Engelland goes to Vegas, we need a vet bottom RHD for a decent price (RHD in generally really and assume Stone re-signs here). What are the realistic options? Cody Franson? Roman Polak? Giving Nakladal a call?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The fact that they've kept Andersson up for so long suggests he's got the inside track on the right side of the bottom pairing.

And for cap reasons alone, Brouwer's got to go. Things are too tight with the cap otherwise.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The fact that they've kept Andersson up for so long suggests he's got the inside track on the right side of the bottom pairing.

I thought it had more to do with the 30 games?

Vegas taking Stajan

Then we flip them a 4th, Shink and Brouwer for Stajan back.

This is unnecessarily complicated. Vegas pay us to expose Brouwer and not compete on Engelland, create a whole soap opera level of, "OMG BROUWER! NUUU!!" and voila. That's what I'd suggest anyways. Might be just as not possible, but less moving parts. :D

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Vegas is not paying us for the opportunity to draft Brouwer. If he's exposed there's probably a decent chance they take him, but they aren't giving us anything to leave him unprotected.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Friedman's 30:

15. The Flames are loading up on young goalies and defencemen. Last week, they signed 2016 second-rounder Tyler Parsons, who backstopped London to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the United States to 2017 world junior gold. Brian Elliott and Chad Johnson are free agents at the NHL level, but Calgary now has five goalies at the AHL and below with NHL potential. Jon Gillies and David Rittich are at AHL Stockton; Mason McDonald is at ECHL Adirondack; Parsons is still in junior as is Nick Schneider with Medicine Hat (so you know Kelly Hrudey loves him).

“Gillies and Rittich are getting closer to playing in the NHL, but I’d rather cook them for another year if we have to than jam them in,” GM Brad Treliving said Monday. “The biggest challenge in goal is finding enough spots for everyone. Is there enough net? A goalie can do well in the ECHL, you’re fine down there. The real question is Parsons. He’ll have played three years of junior, won a Memorial Cup, a world juniors and there is potential for another run now. You don’t want to rush someone, but you do want to challenge him. At the end of the day, you always rather not enough spots than not enough players.”

16. On defence, Calgary is discussing signing Boston University’s Brandon Hickey, a third-rounder in 2014 who has one more year of college eligibility. They just snared NCAA free agent blueliner Jake Healey. They are pretty deep at the NHL level, although there will be free agency questions. Those two join a prospect pool that includes Rasmus Andersson, Brett Kulak, Oliver Kylington and Adam Ollas Mattsson, who just came overseas on an AHL tryout. (The Flames are also excited about Adam Fox, going to the Frozen Four with Harvard.)

“When we got here, the plan was to build down the middle, with goalies, defencemen and centres,” Treliving said. “We’ve talked about goalies. You’d like to have a big four on defence. We have (Mark) Giordano, Dougie (Hamilton) and T.J. Brodie. We’ll see who that fourth is, whether we bring back Michael Stone or it’s somebody else. Ideally, you allow for two kids, maybe one on the third pair and an extra. But the plan is to let them marinate. You don’t have to rush them, although it’s contingent on what we do here. What it gives you is options and depth. They can come and play here, or they give you the opportunity to find other things you need.”

With all of the cooking analogies, I’m betting Treliving spends a lot of his free time watching Chopped.

17. Treliving did indicate he wants to bring back Deryk Engelland, who is a free agent. But, he probably has to sort out the fourth defenceman first, and I can see him not wanting to disrupt an improving, more confident club by picking only one potential contract to solve now.

Second point is big only because it really reinforces the idea that none of the centres, namely Bennett but also Backlund, or any of the big three on defence will be moved, especially for a winger. Not that whatever anyone says will stop panicky fans from giving up on players the moment the road becomes less than perfectly smooth. But the key still is that wingers are of the lowest priority.

Not a fan of bringing Engelland back either so once again the Flames will have to be saved from themselves by the actions of someone else. In this case, Engelland wanting to join the Vegas Golden Soleil over staying here would be much appreciated.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Interesting stuff Calc.

I'm hoping he's just not showing his cards for negotiations on Stone, whether for hardball reasons or for expansion reasons.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Vegas is not paying us for the opportunity to draft Brouwer. If he's exposed there's probably a decent chance they take him, but they aren't giving us anything to leave him unprotected.

Tongue in cheek my man, tongue in cheek :laugh:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Interesting stuff Calc.

I'm hoping he's just not showing his cards for negotiations on Stone, whether for hardball reasons or for expansion reasons.

Treliving loves options. Loves alternatives.

I'm guessing he goes into negotiations with an attitude along the lines of, "Hey guy, we think you're great and would love having you around. But how much it costs to have you around has to make sense for the team. The team is more important than you and I. I won't make a move if I think it's not beneficial to the team."

Maybe he even goes as far as, "I have about 3.5 mil AAV budget for a #4 guy, if that's you, great! If no, I'm going to keep an eye out for an option that works within my budget." He's like that guy that won't hesitate to keep looking for a better deal on a TV. He's going to check different retailers, he'll check for coupons, he'll check to see if he can get a free Blu ray player, Xbox, installation...

To a certain extent, we saw this with Gaudreau, Bouma, Byron, Russell and a few other guys. Treliving plays hard ball.

He caved with Bouma at salary arbitration's door. Didn't work well. I don't think he's retained anyone with salary arbitration rights if the contract wasn't easy peasy (correct me if I'm wrong). I believe he learned from his lesson. Chiasson I think could be the next guy to be moved if this occurs. He filed at 2.4 mil in arbitration, received 1.2 mil. He got in a spat with Ottawa for his salary after that season, which is why we got him for Sieloff. How we signed him for 800k is beyond me though.

Gaudreau he stuck to his guns. Any other GM likely would have caved. Not Treliving. What's even more amazing is that he and management did not for a moment spend a second blaming nor slandering JG's camp. Pure business conduct and wording in all interviews about the topic. IMO, I've always maintained that likely the reason for this headache was literally Gaudreau leaving all the power in his agents hands and not getting involved in the process until the very end when he started sitting out. We heard him say he leaves everything in the agent's hand. If he had been involved earlier, I bet the contract would have completed earlier.

Russell and Glencross were shipped out when they couldn't come to an agreement.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It suggests nothing of the sort. All if suggests is they prefer to have 8 defensemen in the NHL and feel practicing in the NHL is helping his development more right now than playing in the minors.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
It suggests nothing of the sort. All if suggests is they hand 8 defensemen in the NHL and feel practicing in the NHL is helping his development more right now than playing in the minors.

Agreed. What it suggests, if anything, is that they don't trust Wideman in the playoffs if there's a postseason injury.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Theoretically, I'm guessing something like rights to Chiasson and TSpoon to ignore Lazar (Brouwer + Ferland protected) and pick Stajan and hand shake agreement to not compete with Vegas in re-signing Engelland.

Since Vegas is likely to try and be as good as possible (long term), why would they pass up on a guy the Flames thought highly enough to give up a 2nd round pick for 2 guys who have literally zero value?

And you expect them to get saddled with Stajan's contract to boot?

The cost to ignore Lazar in the draft would have to be a 2nd round pick, his value has been set.

In any event, Calgary will protect him. They didn't trade for him to expose him.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Since Vegas is likely to try and be as good as possible (long term), why would they pass up on a guy the Flames thought highly enough to give up a 2nd round pick for 2 guys who have literally zero value?

And you expect them to get saddled with Stajan's contract to boot?

The cost to ignore Lazar in the draft would have to be a 2nd round pick, his value has been set.

In any event, Calgary will protect him. They didn't trade for him to expose him.

Using the same logic, is Calgary going to protect Shinkaruk as well? I doubt it.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Using the same logic, is Calgary going to protect Shinkaruk as well? I doubt it.

Calgary traded Granlund for Shinkaruk last season in hope Shinkaruk can be a top 6 player (I think the Flames were set on Nylander as they knew they most likely wouldn't finish low enough for Tkachuk, and if they won the lottery, they would have went with the big three). Also last season wasn't the expansion draft, so different scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad