Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Parts Unknown - Hey how about Bennett for Lindholm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Honestly he's reminding me a lot of Brayden Schenn's development path.

I'm beginning to weigh the value of waiting longer versus moving him before his value tanks.

Before his value tanks?? He's not worth much right now, nothing close to a potential #1 centre value, at least.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Bennett's very poor season is being very obviously ignored due to the team success. I get that he is only 20 but it is becoming concerning. I don't think we should trade him while his value is low but the Flames realistically still don't have that cup winning 1C in the organization yet. Backlund and Monahan are great 2C's (or 1C on below average to average teams) and that will do for now but we still lack an elite center.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bennett's very poor season is being very obviously ignored due to the team success. I get that he is only 20 but it is becoming concerning. I don't think we should trade him while his value is low but the Flames realistically still don't have that cup winning 1C in the organization yet. Backlund and Monahan are great 2C's (or 1C on below average to average teams) and that will do for now but we still lack an elite center.
If we could get a star RW for Bennett+ I would do it all day at this point.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Me too, but I don't know who would trade us a star winger for Benny +.

Pastrnak is still my dreamboat, but no way Boston trades him, even if he asks for the moon in his upcoming contract talks.

Toffoli could be good? Again, not sure why LA would move on as they're razor thin on the wings.

The aforementioned Schenn? I've never been super impressed with him but meh...

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I really don't think Bennett would have much value right now. I don't think it's a Yakupov type drop in value, but I wouldn't mind swapping him for a RW of some sort, maybe with a plus if we could.

I want to see Bennett with good line mates as much as anyone, but it irks me that people used Monahan "not playing well" with the same line mates Sam has as a criticism for Monahan and an excuse for Bennett.

Regardless, I'm not sure Bennett has much of a future as a C.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Before his value tanks?? He's not worth much right now, nothing close to a potential #1 centre value, at least.

I'm not convinced he ever hits that at this point, so there is that.

Yeah, I'm leaning that way as well. I still think Wing depth is an issue on this team.

If Janks makes the team and can develop into a 3rd line center then I think we are set at center for a long time (assuming Backlund extended). But on wing the only real keepers long term we have of the top nine variety are Gaudreau, Frolik, Tkachuk and Ferland (I don't see Brouwer as a long term piece). So if we can add two more quality wingers in the off season, I'd be thrilled. Don't have to be top line, but some nice middle six options would be nice.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Doing some more digging: I didn't really realize but it looks like RW is becoming a less talented position in the league than I remember it being in the past.

Silfverberg, Stone, Neiderreiter, Pasta, and Toffoli are the best options out there IMO. All young(ish) RWs.
Unfortunately those teams all have decent centre depth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really don't think Bennett would have much value right now. I don't think it's a Yakupov type drop in value, but I wouldn't mind swapping him for a RW of some sort, maybe with a plus if we could.

I want to see Bennett with good line mates as much as anyone, but it irks me that people used Monahan "not playing well" with the same line mates Sam has as a criticism for Monahan and an excuse for Bennett.

Regardless, I'm not sure Bennett has much of a future as a C.
He's only in his second year in the league. Yak's value didn't really bottom out until his 4th season.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I don't see a tonne of reason to trade Bennett really, he obviously has talent, give it some time, he had a solid rookie year last year, having a sophomore slump happens. Having an off year happens in general.

Would much rather develop him into an excellent C and give Calgary a 3 headed monster at C than have an elite RW. I think that is way more valuable in the long-term. I wouldn't give up on that hope yet.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Over the past 3 years Monahan has finished as high as 14th in scoring amount centres and no lower than 20th, while being as high as 5th in goal scoring and no lower than 16th. I don't really see what the 23 year old has to do to be considered a solid #1 centre. People look at the Crosby's and McDavid's and forget what's actually out there for Centremen.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
How much do you think we'd have to add to bennett to get mantha?

I would say a lot. I don't think the value is horrible, but they already have Larkin and Nielsen out performing Bennett. I'd think younger Fischer or Roslovic + seem like a couple nice targets to me.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Over the past 3 years Monahan has finished as high as 14th in scoring amount centres and no lower than 20th, while being as high as 5th in goal scoring and no lower than 16th. I don't really see what the 23 year old has to do to be considered a solid #1 centre. People look at the Crosby's and McDavid's and forget what's actually out there for Centremen.

Getlaf, Bergeron, RoR, Eichel, Toews, Seguin, Zetterberg, McDavid, Barkov, Carter, Kopitar, Tavares, Giroux (before this season atleast), Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Matthews, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Scheifele, Little.

Who is Monahan better than these guys? And I even left some names off the are debatably better than him too. Sure he is younger than some of these guys but in my opinion, I don't see the talent in his game to bring him much better than he is today. That leaves him in the 20-30 range for centers if you are a big fan of him. That is a low end 1C.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There are only 21 #1 centers now? I knew the NHL should never have expanded and stayed at 21 teams

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Getlaf, Bergeron, RoR, Eichel, Toews, Seguin, Zetterberg, McDavid, Barkov, Carter, Kopitar, Tavares, Giroux (before this season atleast), Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Matthews, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Scheifele, Little.

Who is Monahan better than these guys? And I even left some names off the are debatably better than him too. Sure he is younger than some of these guys but in my opinion, I don't see the talent in his game to bring him much better than he is today. That leaves him in the 20-30 range for centers if you are a big fan of him. That is a low end 1C.

Well he's produced high than at least half of them, at some point over the last 3 years.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
He's only in his second year in the league. Yak's value didn't really bottom out until his 4th season.

Agreed. It's not at that point and might never get to that point, but he's probably valued less than many people seem to think (saw Bennet for Pastrnak straight up and so on).

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Kanye hot take:

Wish we could have 1 representative from our forum to propose trades on the mainboard.

I believe we should not give up on Bennett.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Kanye hot take:

Wish we could have 1 representative from our forum to propose trades on the mainboard.

I believe we should not give up on Bennett.

If we got a Rantanen or something like that. Sure, trade Bennett. But that's not happening and trading him
Would go against Scotty Bowmans philosophy to never transfer players when they are playing bad (said the same thing earlier in the season when some people wanted to trade Monahan/Hamilton for peanuts.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
All I can say is that these Bennett threads/posts will be an awful lot of fun to come back to in a couple of years.

It's a real shame a lot of the best of the Backlund hysteria was left behind when the servers were changed.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
All I can say is that these Bennett threads/posts will be an awful lot of fun to come back to in a couple of years.

It's a real shame a lot of the best of the Backlund hysteria was left behind when the servers were changed.

They are very different players, though. I was on the Backlund bandwagon from day 1, and even as a rookie (or during any of the seasons people claimed he should be sent back to the AHL or whatever) his underlying numbers were very good. As far as I remember, he's been a positive possession player his entire career, even when he lacked offensive confidence in his game.

It's certainly too early to start freaking out about Bennett in his sophomore season, but he's also not showing as many positive signs of development as Backlund did through each season he's been in the league. My take on Bennett is that he's young and there are many ways this could go, but this season definitely would be considered "going according to plan" for his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad