Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Parts Unknown - Hey how about Bennett for Lindholm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Remember the last guy we signed who had a career year right before it was time to sign a new contract? His name was Lance Bouma. How has that worked for us?

Big fat no to Eaves at the prices you keep suggesting.

Bouma did nothing before that career year which even then is still worse than Eaves career year, and a few of Eaves non-career years. 2 years is not risky at all.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bouma did nothing before that career year which even then is still worse than Eaves career year, and a few of Eaves non-career years. 2 years is not risky at all.

What are you even talking about anymore? Patrick Eaves is a 32 year old that has been injury plagued his entire career and who hasn't put up points outside of playing with star players :laugh:

This is a classic overpay, and never be able to reap the rewards of the contract, type contract.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Doesn't matter how much worse one player's career year was. This is a mirror situation and has bust written all over it. Eaves is going to look for a big payday because of this season and I want nothing to do with it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think that applies to forwards. You don't want them to play 4th line minutes while they are developing too much. Nothing wrong with bringing in a young guy on the third pair though. Throwing them to the wolves on the top four is pretty risky imo.

Pretty sure we cut bait with TSpoon. Kulak, if he's not gone in expansion needs waivers so I'm almost positive he starts with the team next year. I think Kulak needs to get stronger, but when he does, him and Engelland are a great fit together for next year imo.

I also think Brandon Hickey will get a long look in training camp.

No need to look outside the organization when we can probably sign Engelland for 1 year 1.5-2 mil.

I'll take your word for it regarding F vs D, but I swear Treliving prefers guys play big hours in Stockon than bottom positions in the NHL.

I dunno, Treliving likes defensive depth and we have plenty of cap space to add a $2-3 million Dman for the bottom pairing.

Engelland's contract is not hurting us at all, it's the $5.25 mil cap hit for a #7 Dman that is hurting us. Also the $3.5 mil on LTIR doesn't help much either. Luckily both of those are gone at the end of the season.

Hmm... true. I could see us signing a 3 ish mil contract for the bottom pairing, but it would have to be 2 years or less due to some extensions coming up. I'm not sure who is up to snuff that would agree to that.

He had 16 goals and 34 points after the 1 year show me contract and filed for Salary Arbitration. The year before the show me contract was 5 goals 15 points. However, Bouma's value wasn't totally in his points. I feel like he went a little Glencross on us after getting that contract, but I am not sure if he did that to avoid injuries, or to try and recover from a nagging injury.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Gillies has been improving since the beginning of the season. He's slowly coming around. I think that the combination of a major goalie injury (hips are important) and dramatically increasing the league skill level set Gillies back more than we had hoped, but I have confidence he will find his game. Look at Gibson- he had a pretty slow start to his professional career. Same with Pickard on the avalanche.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
With how Treliving handled Colborne last year, it's pretty clear he has no interest in another Bouma type situation.

A lot depends on what happens with Brouwer. If he's gone in the expansion draft, I'd fully expect the Flames to throw some money at a winger and/or bottom pairing defenceman in free agency. If not, they have pretty much no choice but to be conservative.

At the moment, the Flames will have 21-23M in cap space minus whatever bonuses Tkachuk and Bennett get. Roughly; 4M for Stone, 6M for goaltending, 5-6M for Bennett+Ferland leaves 5-8M (minus bonuses, so 4-7M?) for 3 defencemen and 2-3 forwards. So in other words, say hello to Kulak, Andersson, Lazar, Hathaway, Jankowski, etc., as full timers. Clearing Brouwer's 4.5M would go a long way in helping management avoid that nightmare scenario of graduating so many deserving prospects to the big league at once.

Hopefully the Flames can clinch quickly so Andersson can get a game in soon; it's the only conceivable reason they'd have kept him up for so long.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Hmm... true. I could see us signing a 3 ish mil contract for the bottom pairing, but it would have to be 2 years or less due to some extensions coming up. I'm not sure who is up to snuff that would agree to that.

I think 3 years would be fine as well, then it would expire the same year as TJs contract, giving flexibility in that regard.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What are you even talking about anymore? Patrick Eaves is a 32 year old that has been injury plagued his entire career and who hasn't put up points outside of playing with star players :laugh:

This is a classic overpay, and never be able to reap the rewards of the contract, type contract.

2.5mill cap hit for 2 years for a guy who can play in any situations, and we have the players for him to succeed is not overpay at all.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

What the hell kind of logic is this. You use probably the worst contract on our team to argue that having another one like him is not so bad? It's hard not to disparage you all the time. If we could get rid of Bouma we would, why would we sign another bouma.

For the record I think the eaves signing would be more comparable to the Brouwer signing, I also bet he'll get close to the same numbers (around 4 aav) because he has so many goals this year and it will be a thin market. Its probable he gets signed by LV (or his price gets jacked up in a bidding war because of LV). Do you want him at 4 a year when we're already stuck with Brouwer making that kind of money??
He's just not worth it.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Doesn't matter how much worse one player's career year was. This is a mirror situation and has bust written all over it. Eaves is going to look for a big payday because of this season and I want nothing to do with it.

I understand that if we gave Eaves a 4x4 contract, then yes I agree 100% that it has bust written all over it. But 2.5x2 is very reasonable. Everyone just to be clear, if Eaves wants 4x4 or more, I'd stay away from him. But if he is fine with 2.5x2, I'd do it, which most of you seem hesitant.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
2.5mill cap hit for 2 years for a guy who can play in any situations, and we have the players for him to succeed is not overpay at all.

When has a 30 goal UFA ever signed for such a small contract? He'd have to be stupid not to try and cash in on this, and someone out there is stupid enough to pay him. Even at 2.5 mil a year we're talking about another guy to play on our 2-3rd line, a position we are flush with wingers in (Frolik-Brouwer-Ferland-MaybeBennett-Tkachuk(until he takes 1st line duties)-some might argue Chaisson)

The only forward position we should be looking to fill externally at this point is 1RW. We have enough depth wingers, and we have several languishing in the minors who could push for spots in the middle 6 (Dube-Klimchuk-Aagard-Hathaway-Phillips-Shinkaruk). Depending on Jankowski's transition to NHL, we might also need a 3C going forward as it does not appear that Bennett is going to be a full time NHL centre.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I understand that if we gave Eaves a 4x4 contract, then yes I agree 100% that it has bust written all over it. But 2.5x2 is very reasonable. Everyone just to be clear, if Eaves wants 4x4 or more, I'd stay away from him. But if he is fine with 2.5x2, I'd do it, which most of you seem hesitant.

The problem is he isn't going to sign for anywhere near that number.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think 3 years would be fine as well, then it would expire the same year as TJs contract, giving flexibility in that regard.

Except Ferland, Bennett and Tkachuk have extensions the year before.

Although... maybe I could see Treliving putting in a 3 year to pressure those guys to take on less AAV assuming no salary cap increase... It kinda worked on Gaudreau this off season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would any of you throw a few bucks at Jagr to play 1/3RW swinger?

I would assume this means moving on from Chiasson and/or Versteeg. Ferland as 1RW/3LW swinger.

Why? A Flames Jagr jersey would be epic.

Fit on roster? Don't worry about it. It's Jagr.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames probably won't have the cap space to sign anyone unless Brouwer and/or Bouma/Stajan are moved.

I don't think people realize just how tight things are.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Flames probably won't have the cap space to sign anyone unless Brouwer and/or Bouma/Stajan are moved.

Assuming Brouwer is taken, we have Wideman, Engelland and Bollig also off the books. The Flames need to be careful but I don't really think it's really that tight unless we make bad signings in the offseason.

Sign Stone with some of Widemans cap, and use Engellands cap to sign Elliott. Don't make any dumb UFA signing and getting Ferland, Bennett onto new contracts should be no problem.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Things are tight year 3.

We have lots of breathing room for 1-2 years contracts. Such contracts are great to place barriers in front of the kids to make the roster. IMO, most of them are not yet ready.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think Jagr would be cool from a fan perspective, but he has slowed down this year. I'd rather bring Iginla back in that role (but I know what people will say about that!!)

As Calc points out, things are pretty tight. I think we should only go after someone if it's a long term piece. Not that they would allow this to happen, but I would throw a heavy offer sheet at Pastrnak for instance. Screw our 1st round picks hahahaha

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Things are tight year 3.

We have lots of breathing room for 1-2 years contracts. Such contracts are great to place barriers in front of the kids to make the roster. IMO, most of them are not yet ready.

The only downside to this is that it could prevent us from moving some of those younger pieces up to see what we have. 1-2 year contracts usually aren't high end talent either. The high end guys want security. I just don't see where we would plug in another middle winger.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Assuming Brouwer is taken, we have Wideman, Engelland and Bollig also off the books. The Flames need to be careful but I don't really think it's really that tight unless we make bad signings in the offseason.

Sign Stone with some of Widemans cap, and use Engellands cap to sign Elliott.

That's pretty much the key.

At the moment, the Flames will have 21-23M in cap space minus whatever bonuses Tkachuk and Bennett get. Roughly; 4M for Stone, 6M for goaltending, 5-6M for Bennett+Ferland leaves 5-8M (minus bonuses, so 4-7M?) for 3 defencemen and 2-3 forwards. So in other words, say hello to Kulak, Andersson, Lazar, Hathaway, Jankowski, etc., as full timers.

So clearing Brouwer's 4.5M would go a long way in helping management avoid that nightmare scenario of graduating so many deserving prospects to the big league at once.

Things are tight year 3.

They'd essentially have to be at 1M or less to work. Unless Brouwer/Bouma/Stajan goes, they'll have 4M to 8M for 6 roster spots.

As Calc points out, things are pretty tight. I think we should only go after someone if it's a long term piece. Not that they would allow this to happen, but I would throw a heavy offer sheet at Pastrnak for instance. Screw our 1st round picks hahahaha

I'd actually be okay with this but the Bruins have 13M in cap space; and could free up another 2.5 to 2.75M if they lose McQuaid or Miller to the expansion draft. So, they have the room to match even a 7Mx7yrs type of offer.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
That's pretty much the key.

At the moment, the Flames will have 21-23M in cap space minus whatever bonuses Tkachuk and Bennett get. Roughly; 4M for Stone, 6M for goaltending, 5-6M for Bennett+Ferland leaves 5-8M (minus bonuses, so 4-7M?) for 3 defencemen and 2-3 forwards. So in other words, say hello to Kulak, Andersson, Lazar, Hathaway, Jankowski, etc., as full timers.

So clearing Brouwer's 4.5M would go a long way in helping management avoid that nightmare scenario of graduating so many deserving prospects to the big league at once.

They'd essentially have to be at 1M or less to work. Unless Brouwer/Bouma/Stajan goes, they'll have 4M to 8M for 6 roster spots.

I think Kulak and Lazar are pretty safe bets as full timers for next year, Lazar especially. I would guess we then see one of Jankowski, Andersson, Hathaway (could actually see Bouma being moved for him) up. Then another one or two retreads like Versteeg.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think Kulak and Lazar are pretty safe bets as full timers for next year, Lazar especially. I would guess we then see one of Jankowski, Andersson, Hathaway (could actually see Bouma being moved for him) up. Then another one or two retreads like Versteeg.

I think we will lose steeger- he'll outprice himself. If he could be had for a million again I think we'd undoutedly do it, but I have a feeling someone would throw him a couple mil. I bet the flames brass would rather just give Klimchuk or someone else a shot.
I think he provides good depth and adds a dimension of creativity to the lower lines that puts other teams offguard. He is not a top line player but a great complimentary piece.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Would any of you throw a few bucks at Jagr to play 1/3RW swinger?

I would assume this means moving on from Chiasson and/or Versteeg. Ferland as 1RW/3LW swinger.

Why? A Flames Jagr jersey would be epic.

Fit on roster? Don't worry about it. It's Jagr.

I'd do it, just because he makes young players take huge steps forward. He did it in Philly, he did it in Dallas, he did it in Florida.

Put him on the top line or on the 3rd line with Bennett and hope he works some magic.

I doubt he comes out West though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I doubt he comes out West though.

Agreed. If I were a betting man, I'd think of the Canadian teams, only Montreal and Ottawa are realistic contenders for him. I don't think he will go to Toronto. No room on RW.

This based on comments about trying out a Canadian team and him expressing he likes the travel of the East coast teams.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Agreed. If I were a betting man, I'd think of the Canadian teams, only Montreal and Ottawa are realistic contenders for him. I don't think he will go to Toronto. No room on RW.

This based on comments about trying out a Canadian team and him expressing he likes the travel of the East coast teams.

Let's be realistic though, did anyone expect him to go to Florida of all places?

I agree the east is way more likely but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad