Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Part ∞ - Fix This Team Plox

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Would anyone be opposed to doing Wides for Iginla straight up at the deadline? Team could use an injection of leadership in the locker room and Iginla could be a mentor to quite a few players on the team.

Meh, probably not. If Wideman gets moved at the deadline, it's probably because we aren't looking like a playoff team. In that situation Wideman gets traded to a contender for futures most likely.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Would anyone be opposed to doing Wides for Iginla straight up at the deadline? Team could use an injection of leadership in the locker room and Iginla could be a mentor to quite a few players on the team.

Yeah he is doing a great job leading Colorado...why not :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Meh, probably not. If Wideman gets moved at the deadline, it's probably because we aren't looking like a playoff team. In that situation Wideman gets traded to a contender for futures most likely.

Without Wideman, as much as this kills me to say it, our defence would literally be 3 guys and bunch of AHL level talent.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Something has to change. Having him on the 3rd line is a waste. I'd like to see him back with Gaudreau and Brouwer, and have Monahan with Ferland and Versteeg again.

Says Bennett is being wasted on the 3rd line, suggests putting a better player on the 3rd line. :help:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Without Wideman, as much as this kills me to say it, our defence would literally be 3 guys and bunch of AHL level talent.

Yup, he's the closest thing we have to a #4. But I see no harm in moving him for assets if the team continues to falter.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yup, he's the closest thing we have to a #4. But I see no harm in moving him for assets if the team continues to falter.
I think everyone should agree with this, but we are a good 5+ weeks away from the deadline, lots can change in that time.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I doubt Wideman will be moved "for future" if we continue to flatter. Most contenders are very close to the cap, so lots of salary will have to go back the other way. Making it even more complicated, "lots of salary" will need to be off our cap after this year, for the trade to make any sense for us. Even if they have some room, they may want to use it in a more worthwhile manner than by taking Wideman.

Toronto is one option I can think of. Could be a team searching for a RHD and they could send Michalek/Laich the other way (high AAV cap dump ending this year) + Corrado (to avoid a logjam).

The Bruins could also work, because they actually do have cap space. They could send JML the other way and he'll fit. But again, if they'll buy, they'll probably want something better for almost all their cap left.

Salary retention would help, but I'll need to see the flames do it even once to believe it.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Do player cap hits not shrink as the season goes on? Likewise, my understanding is that unused cap space also grows as the season goes on.

If such is the case, it wouldn't be a situation where BT must shop 5.25M Wideman, but a severely discounted Wideman. Which (again if my understanding is correct) would drastically increase the number of possible Wideman suitors.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Yes, at the deadline Wideman's actual cap hit will be (someone will correct me) around $1 million.
That seems a little strange? Why would, say, the kings retain 15% of Ehrhoff in last year's TDL in a trade with the Hawks? At that point, it was $53,000 in real money; pratically nothing.

Obviously this small amount of cap space wasn't part of some big plan. Blackhawks asking for a 15% retention of the yearly figure ($225K) seems more logical.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Edit: Nvm.

On a different note, if Boston wants to go round 2 with us, would anyone be interested in Rask? Assuming we are sending them prospects and futures.

Last edited:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'd love Palat.

I wonder if Tampa would bite on a Palat for Giordano swap that sees other pieces added to work out cap/value.

Tampa has underachieved and is almost certainly still in a win now mode going forward, with their obvious holes on the backend, with depth up front. Would also serve them well for expansion protection purposes.

For us, Palat would fit the core extremely well in terms of age. I am also of the opinion that Gio's contract will be a major road block in building a true contender a few years down the road.

Obviously it leaves a big hole on our backend, which could be a major issue for a couple years.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That seems a little strange? Why would, say, the kings retain 15% of Ehrhoff in last year's TDL in a trade with the Hawks? At that point, it was $53,000 in real money; pratically nothing.

Obviously this small amount of cap space wasn't part of some big plan. Blackhawks asking for a 15% retention of the yearly figure ($225K) seems more logical.
They don't have a choice, it's a percentage of the remaining contract and remaining cap hit (which is calculated daily).

But Ace is correct, you only need room for the remaining cap hit, which for Wideman would be $1,166,667.

The reason it works this way is because the the NHL's salary cap is calculated daily and the upper limit is the amount the team is allowed to spend over the full season. A team like the Hawks were very very tight to the cap last year and Ehrhoff had a 3.4 million cap hit, they finished the year with less than 100k of unused space so the retention was to keep them under the cap.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I wonder if Tampa would bite on a Palat for Giordano swap that sees other pieces added to work out cap/value.

Tampa has underachieved and is almost certainly still in a win now mode going forward, with their obvious holes on the backend, with depth up front. Would also serve them well for expansion protection purposes.

For us, Palat would fit the core extremely well in terms of age. I am also of the opinion that Gio's contract will be a major road block in building a true contender a few years down the road.

Obviously it leaves a big hole on our backend, which could be a major issue for a couple years.

Palat and Garrison/Coburn for Giordano. Or Johnson and Stralman for Bennett and Brodie.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Id wait until offseason for any moves unless we can unload Wideman or Engeland for a bag of pucks.

This team is fragile and has been all season. Even when things were looking good, they were on the edge of going south fast.

The leadership of this team needs to change somehow. The top needs to become mentally stronger. Some time back I was sure Monahan was the future C of this team but he refuses to take that next step. Gaudreau needs to bulk up somehow and get stronger on his feet. The league has learned his game and if he going to maintain a high level for years to come, he needs to evolve his game.

Either the mgmt takes a different step in developing the kids, brings in players who drive the play or make a big change in the locker room to shake things up. Otherwise its more of this next year.

Im really curious as to what kind of moves the team could make in the summer in order to inject players into the lineup that would help drive the play and create space for the rest of the guys?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How do we fix Flames

How about people start by having some patience. This is a rebuild, not a 2 year turnaround. The team is better than they were last year and that's with some very off years from the elite talent on the team. This team was billed as a playoff bubble team and that's exactly what they are.

There is no need to knee jerk reactions to move core pieces. Shuffle a few things around and ride it around, make more forward thinking moves in the offseason and try to fill some needs and start again. It's quite simple. After another season or 2 if things still are stagnant, then you make some moves.

With guys like Kylington, Andersson, Jankowski right on the cusp of coming up, why would you rush to make deals? Those are significant pieces that could be stepping into the line up. You have potentially two top 4 dmen and a top 3 centre that won't cost a thing.

Big picture people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad