Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Part ∞ - Fix This Team Plox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I, too, would advocate patience. Silly to judge the team by how it's performing at its worst, IMO. The off-season is going to give us a lot more cap flexibility, and that's probably the time to address roster issues if they still exist at season's end.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Id wait until offseason for any moves unless we can unload Wideman or Engeland for a bag of pucks.

Im really curious as to what kind of moves the team could make in the summer in order to inject players into the lineup that would help drive the play and create space for the rest of the guys?

I, too, would advocate patience. Silly to judge the team by how it's performing at its worst, IMO. The off-season is going to give us a lot more cap flexibility, and that's probably the time to address roster issues if they still exist at season's end.

This, in theory could very well be an offseason deal, prior to the expansion draft. The only protection scheme that makes sense for Tampa would be 7/3/1. In which case they would be protecting (most likely) Hedman, Stralman, Coburn for defence, and Stamkos, Callahan, Filppula, Kucherov, Drouin, and two of Palat, Johnson, or Killorn. So they'd be almost guaranteed to lose one of that last group.

Now I assume Yzerman would be up to a) moving one of them to secure another piece that will help them get right back into contending next year, and b) protecting a guy like Giordano over Coburn, who is clearly the better player of the two.

I wouldn't consider this type of move an impatient one either. It's not like we are acquiring a 30 year old rental. It would be a 26 year old with team control still remaining going forward. It's also not a move that I would necessarily consider a knee jerk reaction as it has been quite clear for some time that our top 6 needs more skill injected into it.

People complain about the bad contracts we have know and are excited that Engelland and Wideman are off the books this offseason with Stajan and Bouma to follow, but the cycle of bad contracts will continue on in a few years with Giordano and Brouwer, IMO. So we could, in theory potentially catch Yzerman with his pants down and wanting to flip around and field a contender again next year, rather than thinking about the repercussions of Gio's contract in a couple years. Why not be proactive and move him before the contract becomes a massive road block for us building a playoff contender?

Just my 2 cents. Like I said the value and cap definitely don't work as is, so there would have to be additional pieces moving around, but I think it makes sense for both teams.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't remember, when Bennett played LW this year was he on Monahan's line or Stajan's? Would be interested in seeing Bennett - Monahan - (Brouwer?)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't remember, when Bennett played LW this year was he on Monahan's line or Stajan's? Would be interested in seeing Bennett - Monahan - (Brouwer?)
he spent a couple games with Monahan when Gaudreau first got hurt

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
So we could, in theory potentially catch Yzerman with his pants down and wanting to flip around and field a contender again next year, rather than thinking about the repercussions of Gio's contract in a couple years. Why not be proactive and move him before the contract becomes a massive road block for us building a playoff contender?

Moving Gio I think would have repercussions beyond future cap thinking. Sending away the captain of an already fragile team, could send this team down a dark hole. With no strong presence in the room to take over, the guys would be freaking out wondering why this happened. Sad to say, but beyond Backlund I dont see anyone really groomed to take over C... and Im not even that sure about Backs.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Moving Gio I think would have repercussions beyond future cap thinking. Sending away the captain of an already fragile team, could send this team down a dark hole. With no strong presence in the room to take over, the guys would be freaking out wondering why this happened. Sad to say, but beyond Backlund I dont see anyone really groomed to take over C... and Im not even that sure about Backs.

That would absolutely be one of my biggest worry too. Leadership and leaving a big hole on defence. Both of which would need to be addressed. I feel like overall a capable leadership group could be pieced together though.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Devils Advocate...

Trade Gio, for a return that makes sense (wont speculate on what that might be).

Sign Alzner to a big money deal. Use cap space freed up by Wideman's contract ending on another Top 4 D.

Hamilton - Alzner
Brodie - Mystery Top 4 D
Kulak - ???

Run with three Alternate captains.

Win the cup?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Devils Advocate...

Trade Gio, for a return that makes sense (wont speculate on what that might be).

Sign Alzner to a big money deal. Use cap space freed up by Wideman's contract ending on another Top 4 D.

Hamilton - Alzner
Brodie - Mystery Top 4 D
Kulak - ???

Win the cup?

There's nothing in the rules against sewing all three alternate captain patches to Backlund's jersey.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
There's nothing in the rules against sewing all three alternate captain patches to Backlund's jersey.

In fact, I demand it happen.

Up till this year my pick for the next captain after Gio was Brodie, but given how his play has dropped off due to what everyone seems to think is an off-ice issue, I'm no longer so sure. Pretty unusual as I'd always seen TJ as the kind of guy to silently tough out adversity.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Non roster question... How big of a difference could we expect to see if we replaced Sigalet? I'm sure he's a great guy, but it seems like players wearing #1 take a major nose dive after joining our org ever since Malarchuk departed.

I'd love to lure Sean Burke, but I can't legitimately see how we lure him over as I believe he has a Conroy/Pascall level job.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Non roster question... How big of a difference could we expect to see if we replaced Sigalet? I'm sure he's a great guy, but it seems like players wearing #1 take a major nose dive after joining our org ever since Malarchuk departed.

I'd love to lure Sean Burke, but I can't legitimately see how we lure him over as I believe he has a Conroy/Pascall level job.

Not sure who we'd hire, but I'm pretty positive Sigalet is gonna be let go after this season.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Devils Advocate...

Hamilton - Alzner
Brodie - Mystery Top 4 D
Kulak - ???

Win the cup?

This was sort of what I was thinking as a follow up. Obviously I think you need a + with Palat in order for that to be the right value and make it worth your while.

I think Alzner would be a nice fit on our blue line, and if you could land him, would make the loss of Gio much more palatable. On the flip side, if it would recquire a massive overpayment to bring Alzner aboard, then that could end up just swapping poor contract for poor contract. But the age is on Alzner's side and he would likely be a major contributor for a decent chunk of when we expect to be legitimate contenders.

Obviously I think the value absolutely has to be worth it to move Gio.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
This team needs a serious boost/shake up offensively, and I don't think we can do it via trade at the moment

I am starting to believe that Bennett needs to be a full time winger moving forward and have no reason to think that Tkachuk can't excel on the right side of the ice.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Jankowski - Brouwer
Ferland - Stajan - Hathaway

Actively look for trades involving Bouma, Chaisson, Wideman, Engelland, Jokipakka

Alzner in the offseason makes to much sense for us, and he would be the ideal partner for Brodie.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Stubbornly, I'd say it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early to throw in the towel for a Bennett as centre. IMO, if by next season January he still looks bad on C, put him on Backlund's wing and move Tkachuk to 1RW. I think Bennett might be a late bloomer as a centre man, but if we stubbornly stick with him thick and thin, we will be greatly rewarded.

Send the kid to Gilmour off season and get some mentorship in learning how to transition. I think it will help him greatly.

But I'm a weirdo who thinks that keeping Backlund to be a 3C/2LW in his early 30s (if he falls out of 2C role) is a reasonable way to use the guy too...

One thing I think is missing after Hartley's departure, is the guy seemed to poke into off ice stuff that helps the players long run. I wonder if this has stopped with Glue gun in charge (not that it's his job to do this)

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
A top 4 stay at home D man is a must this offseason. Alzner would be great if he doesn't re-sign. Wideman isn't even used on the PP anymore which makes him utterly useless. Probably should put him on the first PP unit instead of Versteeg but either way he does nothing for this team right now.

A legit #1 goalie is also needed. I wouldn't take back the Elliott trade but he has failed miserably, thank god Jonhson stepped up this year, would still bring him back to be a back up though.

Offense is failing mostly because Gaurdreau is having an awful season. Would be nice to get him a big RW to play with. Brouwer was suppose to be that guy but has looked uninterested since coming back from injury. Keep Chiasson the **** away. That experiment is done.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A top 4 stay at home D man is a must this offseason. Alzner would be great if he doesn't re-sign. Wideman isn't even used on the PP anymore which makes him utterly useless. Probably should put him on the first PP unit instead of Versteeg but either way he does nothing for this team right now.

A legit #1 goalie is also needed. I wouldn't take back the Elliott trade but he has failed miserably, thank god Jonhson stepped up this year, would still bring him back to be a back up though.

Offense is failing mostly because Gaurdreau is having an awful season. Would be nice to get him a big RW to play with. Brouwer was suppose to be that guy but has looked uninterested since coming back from injury. Keep Chiasson the **** away. That experiment is done.
Brouwer has been fine, people clearly expected too much out of him. He's a middle 6 winger, just like Frolik.

Next season I'd like to see:

___ A ___ - Jankowski - Brouwer
Ferland/Bouma - Stajan/Hamilton - Hathaway/Ferland/Hamilton

Giordano - Hamilton
Alzner - Brodie
Jokipakka/Kulak/Wotherspoon - ___ B ___

___ C ___
Gillies/Rittich

A) I'd be interested in filling this hole with Klimchuk potentially, but would be fine with a UFA signing too.
B) I'd be cool with Engelland returning at a discount, or replacing him with someone who plays a similar style.
C) A starting goalie, I won't rule out Elliott or Johnson yet, but my gut tells me it will be Fleury, Bishop or Smith.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

I think they should try these lines out right now. The Backlund line has been great but it seems like anyone who plays with him has a career year. Bennett could get a boost playing with him and Frolik and Tkachuck would provide a good net presence for Johnny and Monahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad