Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You'd hate a deal that would help us get that #1 RW that we've been needing since Iginla was traded? I think the Flames have too much quantity, they need another quality player to push them over the top. And, if we can manage to do that without moving Hamilton that's a bonus.
I feel like it's too much for us to give up. Stone is great but that's a win now move that I don't feel puts us over the top and subtracts two pretty good prospects from our team

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I honestly think we just had a bad year. I truly think we make the playoffs and get past the 1st round next year. We simply under performed and had injuries.
I can agree to this, but our team is only good enough when everyone is healthy. We're a fragile team that hasn't shown an ability to adapt and play without all the top players playing together. Smith goes down and we crumple like a cheap tent. Monahan gets hurt and there's nobody's even close to being able to step in as #1 center. Our team just doesn't currently have the forward depth to get through an entire season. We have to add talent.

Reactions: Flamesfan62

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I feel like it's too much for us to give up. Stone is great but that's a win now move that I don't feel puts us over the top and subtracts two pretty good prospects from our team

It subtracts two prospects, but also gives us a winger that we can also re-sign since we have his RFA rights. It's not like we are throwing all of this for Panarin who would be a UFA. I was thinking Stone would be a good add for this team because not only would he compliment our top 6 greatly, but he'd also be a RFA.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

Win now move? Stone is a younger two way, ppg winger who we can sign long term immediately and solves the biggest need on the entire team. If all he takes is the ghost of Brodie and some good prospects, we do it.

You act like Stone is some 30 year old looking for a cup team.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
A win now move would be to acquire Panarin if he is indeed available and stick him on the right wing.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

How are they not in win now mode? Treliving traded all his draft picks for Hamilton and Hamonic, the core is locked up. Best to just go for it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Win now move? Stone is a younger two way, ppg winger who we can sign long term immediately and solves the biggest need on the entire team. If all he takes is the ghost of Brodie and some good prospects, we do it.

You act like Stone is some 30 year old looking for a cup team.
He's still 26. And he's good enough to merit a Gaudreau extension which would take up a good chunk of our cap. Also, Hamonic is locked up on a good contract and many saw that as a win now move.

I could respect a Brodie for Stone swap (even if I still wouldn't like it). But we're already short on picks. Why thin our prospect base even more and move more of our chips in a two, three year window?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
He's still 26. And he's good enough to merit a Gaudreau extension which would take up a good chunk of our cap. Also, Hamonic is locked up on a good contract and many saw that as a win now move.

I could respect a Brodie for Stone swap (even if I still wouldn't like it). But we're already short on picks. Why thin our prospect base even more and move more of our chips in a two, three year window?

26 is not old.

Cap can be moved in many ways. (also I do not agree with the Hamonic trade/contract or his play so I won't even comment on that)

Fox is our best of a good pool of defensive prospects. We do need forward prospects, but mangiapane will never be a third of what Stone is.

If we get Stone for any player/prospect combo, I take it. I'm sick of us trading picks and we aren't going to fill our RW need without a trade at this point.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Anyone with a subscription to the Athletic can list out the more salient points but based on 'value-buys' it looks like the big names in free agency are out. Austin Czarnik has been mentioned before and would be a solid gamble.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

Anyone with a subscription to the Athletic can list out the more salient points but based on 'value-buys' it looks like the big names in free agency are out. Austin Czarnik has been mentioned before and would be a solid gamble.

From the same article via CP

Treliving:..At the end of the day, would I like to add a top-six forward, preferably one who shoots right? One hundred per cent. OK, there are two ways of going about it. One is you make a trade. People will say, ‘OK, you’ve got extra defencemen,’ which is true, but if you move a bunch of them, now you’ve created holes elsewhere on your roster. Soon, the chorus becomes ‘now you need another defenceman.’ So, you’ve got to be careful.

The other way is to sign a player. If you look at the free-agent list, everybody knows the big names out there. We’re looking more at players that are maybe not the sexy names. Maybe there’s a guy nobody’s heard of, but who is in the right age bracket, where there’s been a history of success on his resume, and we think he’s ready to pop. Will he? Don’t know. But our homework has shown that maybe he is. Is that a better bet? Maybe it is.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
From the same article via CP

Treliving:..At the end of the day, would I like to add a top-six forward, preferably one who shoots right? One hundred per cent. OK, there are two ways of going about it. One is you make a trade. People will say, ‘OK, you’ve got extra defencemen,’ which is true, but if you move a bunch of them, now you’ve created holes elsewhere on your roster. Soon, the chorus becomes ‘now you need another defenceman.’ So, you’ve got to be careful.

The other way is to sign a player. If you look at the free-agent list, everybody knows the big names out there. We’re looking more at players that are maybe not the sexy names. Maybe there’s a guy nobody’s heard of, but who is in the right age bracket, where there’s been a history of success on his resume, and we think he’s ready to pop. Will he? Don’t know. But our homework has shown that maybe he is. Is that a better bet? Maybe it is.

Value buys. In free agency. In the year of our lord 2018 when the salary cap is rising. For a much needed top line winger.

200w.webp

Will Treliving still be employed this time next year? Don't know. But our homework has shown that maybe he isn't. Is that a better bet? Maybe it is.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, that makes sense. Treliving has spent the last four or so years building up the depth within the organization; he's not about to destroy that in one or two moves. He's already moved all the picks; can't move the remaining prospects as well and ensure the future is Sutter-esque. Based on his other interview, good bet one defenceman is moved, but not multiple.

But I'd be okay with signed a big ticket free agent (e.g. Neal, JVR) if the term was reasonable.

And unsurprisingly, he wants a right shooting forward. Who could have imagined that?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I was thinking about throwing Rust into the discussion too. My main criterion for adding anyone to the forward core at this point is speed and skill (unless it’s a guy like Stone where the high end skill masks some of the speed issues - not that he’s horrible by any means), so I think Rust does fit that. Obviously I’d like to add a top line RW as well, but Rust would be a good option to add another RHS.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
CGT and Pitt should consider a Mangiapane / Rust swap. They get a much-needed NHL-ready LW with high upside, we get a much-needed middle six RW.

If Mangiapane is NHL ready with high upside, the Flames keep him...The Flames need some of those.

Some how I think the high upside is only in your imagination.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Why dont you like it? It would be a steal for the Flames. I doubt any sane GM would do that swap but it's Ottawa so who knows

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well he said that Hoffman was rumoured to be traded last night to a Western Canadian team. Pretty ambiguous considering most of the Hoffman's suitors at the deadline were from the West.

I hope he's right though. This forum would implode.
Reading his page, he's pretty clearly an Eklund wannabe

Reactions: Kranix

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Anyone here interested in yakupov? Younger Versteeg replacement, and some upside is still there. Hard to go wrong on a contract under 1mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad