Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He’s talented, physical, and cheap (for one more year), with proven chemistry with the team’s two best players.

Nobody is going to offer the Flames something that helps them win now more than Ferland does. Trading Ferland now would be stupid.

I dont know. Some idiot may think he is a real top line player....

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I have gotten an increasingly worse feeling that dougie is traded. Dont want it to happen but I could see a hamilton+ferland for ror+reinhart trade drawing interest.

More ideally I would go to Ottawa with brodie and ferland for Stone and see what we could add to make it happen

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Ferland is one year away from being a UFA? It’s not known if the Flames are prepared to pay him what someone else might. He’s also still largely an unknown commodity. The fact that he’s a power forward, can score some goals and has a nice cap is why teams would find him attractive. Him and Janks are literally the only expendable assets that any other teams would be interested in.

I’m also not suggesting we give him away. I’m talking about dealing him to upgrade our top 9. For example what if he was one of the main pieces to get someone like Kessel?
Upgrading the top nine is pointless. Need to actually have a bona-fide top nine to begin with. The Flames don't really have that.

If it's a clear upgrade to the top 3 (ie: Kessel) sure, I get it, but there's still a hole created in the top nine now that needs filling as a result.

GM 101: Trade from strength (defense, defense prospects) not from weakness (capable young forwards).

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hoffman just got traded for a camp dump, then flipped to Florida for a 2nd. His personal issues aside, this is a big knock on trev for me we need a player like him on our second line and he was as close to free as you can possibly get

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Wilson, you magnificent bastard. While I'm not totally convinced that Boedker is the boat anchor people on the main boards make him to be, but that's a handful of draft picks and $4M in cap space out of thin air for the Sharks.

Note to Treliving: please never trade with Wilson, Poile or Yzerman.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hoffman just got traded for a camp dump, then flipped to Florida for a 2nd. His personal issues aside, this is a big knock on trev for me we need a player like him on our second line and he was as close to free as you can possibly get

Do not want a player with Hoffman's baggage anywhere near this team.
This team is super mentally fragile; any remote chance of something similar happening in Calgary would cause a brutal downwards spiral for this franchise.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011

Tre should be applauded for this non move. Not making a desperate move because it’s cheap. The kind of baggage Hoffman is carrying right now could derail his career, let alone this next year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Upgrading the top nine is pointless. Need to actually have a bona-fide top nine to begin with. The Flames don't really have that.

If it's a clear upgrade to the top 3 (ie: Kessel) sure, I get it, but there's still a hole created in the top nine now that needs filling as a result.

GM 101: Trade from strength (defense, defense prospects) not from weakness (capable young forwards).

All true. But it is far easier to replace a guy like Ferland than someone who is a legit talent like Kessel. For example dealing someone like Kulak would get us a 3rd line winger.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Wilson, you magnificent bastard. While I'm not totally convinced that Boedker is the boat anchor people on the main boards make him to be, but that's a handful of draft picks and $4M in cap space out of thin air for the Sharks.

Note to Treliving: please never trade with Wilson, Poile or Yzerman.

Also, trade with Bergevin or Dorian at any chance.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
As much as I'd like the Flames to acquire Mark Stone, I'd feel bad about sending anyone to that mess. Except Brouwer but he already has a full NTC for another two weeks and then a modified 15 team list after that, of which Ottawa will certainly be blocked.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As much as I'd like the Flames to acquire Mark Stone, I'd feel bad about sending anyone to that mess. Except Brouwer but he already has a full NTC for another two weeks and then a modified 15 team list after that, of which Ottawa will certainly be blocked.

Know what the tire fire in Ottawa really needs? More flaming tires in Troy Brouwer.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
All true. But it is far easier to replace a guy like Ferland than someone who is a legit talent like Kessel. For example dealing someone like Kulak would get us a 3rd line winger.
I think Kulak would return a 3rd round pick right now. Maybe an older depth player, that a team is ready to move on from, like Brett Ritchie or Lazar. Nothing that would really help us.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
meh, I wouldn't have wanted Hoffman for free at this point. Nobody could convince me that that wouldn't be an issue in the media and a locker room distraction.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I think a large percentage of both fan bases were not totally agaibst a Brodie for Simmonds deal

Yeah I think Brodie is about the only piece we have that might interest the Flyers. No first, and I can't see them being interested in any of our D prospects with the stable that they have. I think Brodie carries a bit more value than Simmonds, and if he returns to form then it's not a great deal for us, but it could be worth it with a small add from Philadelphia.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Simmonds is almost 30 and one year away from asking for 5.75M+ on a long term deal (Friedman floated an Oshie like contract). I'd pass.

Would rather go after Panarin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Simmonds is almost 30 and one year away from asking for 5.75M+ on a long term deal (Friedman floated an Oshie like contract). I'd pass.

Would rather go after Panarin

Do we even have the assets for Panarin is my only issue?
CBJ doesn't need D. Our forwards are shitty outside of guys we can't afford to move (Johnny, Mony & Chucky). We have no real futures.

That being said, for Panarin, that farm I'd move.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Panarin would be a dream. It'd have to start with Valimaki though, and beyond that I'm not sure we've got enough. Or something around Monahan could be intriguing, but that's likely just creating too big of a hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad