Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I agree but worth a shot
Dreger and others state Bob is looking for Price kind of money. If that is true that is way beyond what the Flames could and should spend.

If the Flames are going to go after a goalie I think Crawford from Chicago, Quick is he is healthy and back in form from LA, or preferably Dubnyk from Minnesota are way better solutions. Quick and Crawford are proven playoff performers and Dubnyk has been in the at or near the top for the last 4 years. All have a little term left to let our system show what we have in Rittich, Parsons and Gillies.

Reactions: Ravi Nandkumar

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Dreger and others state Bob is looking for Price kind of money. If that is true that is way beyond what the Flames could and should spend.

If the Flames are going to go after a goalie I think Crawford from Chicago, Quick is he is healthy and back in form from LA, or preferably Dubnyk from Minnesota are way better solutions. Quick and Crawford are proven playoff performers and Dubnyk has been in the at or near the top for the last 4 years. All have a little term left to let our system show what we have in Rittich, Parsons and Gillies.

I agree. But maybe Bobrovsky looks at our team and wants to win a cup and takes a little less. Sounds far-fetched, I know. But hey, I’m the guy that started the positivity thread.

I’m not familiar with Dubnyk, Crawford or Quicks contracts but they would both be great adds too. Doubt they would be available though.

Reactions: Arcana

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I agree. But maybe Bobrovsky looks at our team and wants to win a cup and takes a little less. Sounds far-fetched, I know. But hey, I’m the guy that started the positivity thread.

I’m not familiar with Dubnyk, Crawford or Quicks contracts but they would both be great adds too. Doubt they would be available though.

Crawford has a year after this, Quick and Dubnyk have 4 after this year. Dubnyk has a 4.33 cap hit, Quick is 5.8 and Crawford is 6. IMO those are the only true upgrades that are attainable for the Flames.

Crawford and Dubnyk I think could be had as both Chicago and Minnesota are in mini-rebuilds/re-tooling what ever you want to call it. Both could use some youth and draft picks if they are going to make runs at the cup before the core is too old.

LA would likely want a premium for Quick as we are in the same division. But with them rebuilding, maybe a three-way trade. I think the Kings have to tear things down and rebuild from the ground up.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Crawford has a year after this, Quick and Dubnyk have 4 after this year. Dubnyk has a 4.33 cap hit, Quick is 5.8 and Crawford is 6. IMO those are the only true upgrades that are attainable for the Flames.

Crawford and Dubnyk I think could be had as both Chicago and Minnesota are in mini-rebuilds/re-tooling what ever you want to call it. Both could use some youth and draft picks if they are going to make runs at the cup before the core is too old.

LA would likely want a premium for Quick as we are in the same division. But with them rebuilding, maybe a three-way trade. I think the Kings have to tear things down and rebuild from the ground up.
Crawford and Quick are bandaids at this point. No interest in them. Dubnyk would be awesome though. Win a cup with the Oiler's throw away? Yes please!

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Even if we traded for Bob I doubt he’d resign. Best bet remains to hope one comes along internally or through free agency. I’ll still follow the Schneider situation in New Jersey carefully. If he looks decent after his hip surgery but they ultimately decide to go with kinkaid I think he’d come relatively cheap. 6 mil per year is manageable as well with smith off the books and the cap going up. Signed through 2022 which takes him to 36 which is meh but it also coincides with our first little mini window we have here with Gio

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Darcy Kuemper. Had some pretty great stats in LA last year before being traded to ARI (not that great after the trade). Great numbers again this year and signed for $1.85M until 2020. Not that the Coyotes really have any reason to trade him since they have a great tandem in him and Raanta, but I guess he would move for an overpayment. Should we be that team?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Crawford and Quick are bandaids at this point. No interest in them. Dubnyk would be awesome though. Win a cup with the Oiler's throw away? Yes please!
The guys were mentioning upgrades to what we have in Smith and Rittich. 5 cups between the 2 guys you said no to and both were integral parts. They know how to win. Crawford is at 909 just coming off an injury and Quick when he is healthy is probably one of the largest competitors there is in the NHL. That said Dubnyk would be my choice for a couple reasons. The price is great and he smacks of a guy wanting to prove all his nay-sayers wrong.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Alternatively if Schneider becomes the clear cut starter in NJ then maybe Kinkaid, who is an FA this summer, would be looking for an opportunity to start somewhere. At 28 years of age I would definitely give him a shot at a reasonable price and term

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Minny isn't getting rid of Dubnyk, they are going for the cup just like we are.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Alternatively if Schneider becomes the clear cut starter in NJ then maybe Kinkaid, who is an FA this summer, would be looking for an opportunity to start somewhere. At 28 years of age I would definitely give him a shot at a reasonable price and term

Schnieder would be great IMO. Trade Smith and a 2nd.

If New Jersey trades a goalie it will be Schnieder and at minimum NJ would want Smith, one of Gilles or Parsons and 3rd-4th round pick.

Minny isn't getting rid of Dubnyk, they are going for the cup just like we are.

Come the trade deadline my bet is Minny will see they are not a contender at all. Minny simply does not have enough quality forwards. Parise, Staal and Koivu are all getting old and do not have any players that can step up to fill thier roles. With that Minny will be open to moving Dubnyk for the right pieces. It would cost us more than the proposed Schnieder trade.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
If New Jersey trades a goalie it will be Schnieder and at minimum NJ would want Smith, one of Gilles or Parsons and 3rd-4th round pick.

Come the trade deadline my bet is Minny will see they are not a contender at all. Minny simply does not have enough quality forwards. Parise, Staal and Koivu are all getting old and do not have any players that can step up to fill thier roles. With that Minny will be open to moving Dubnyk for the right pieces. It would cost us more than the proposed Schnieder trade.

I have been watching the Wild closely for the past 2-3 year given my life circumstances. Anyways, Dubnyk will be their Goalie for a long time. He isn’t going anywhere. He is a fan favourite.

The wild have a very good defence as well.

Granlund, Nino, Coyle, Zucker are relatively young.

Then you have a guy like Greenway that is coming up and looked pretty damn good.

They don’t have a flashy star but they have a top 5 goalie and very good D. This team just finds ways to win games with the above combo.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I know a goalie that has a .939 Save % and a GAA of 2.08, this goalie has only played in 6 games(started 4 of them and has a record of 3-1) but I think he deserves a chance before the Flames trade for any "starting goaltender". This goaltenders name is David Rittich and hopefully he gets his chance to see what he can do.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

No, The Flames would want them to take Smith for Salary purpose. I doubt if they are ready to trade Schneider, they would want Smith.

The probably do not want the junk prospects neither. They have their own.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I know a goalie that has a .939 Save % and a GAA of 2.08, this goalie has only played in 6 games(started 4 of them and has a record of 3-1) but I think he deserves a chance before the Flames trade for any "starting goaltender". This goaltenders name is David Rittich and hopefully he gets his chance to see what he can do.

It's a gamble but that's is what they are going to do. I think Smith is done. We'll find out in the next few games. If Smith's problem is mental then he should bounce back from that last game. If it's physical, he is toast.

Reactions: viper0220

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
It's a gamble but that's is what they are going to do. I think Smith is done. We'll find out in the next few games. If Smith's problem is mental then he should bounce back from that last game. If it's physical, he is toast.

If Smith is injured it would make sense that he maybe hide it from the medical staff. He’s in a contract year, might be trying to battle through it. Time will tell I guess. I like Ritter a lot but last year he fumbled pretty hard when Smith went down. Maybe give him a shot if Smith continues to suck but I wouldn’t put all our eggs in that basket

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If Smith is injured it would make sense that he maybe hide it from the medical staff. He’s in a contract year, might be trying to battle through it. Time will tell I guess. I like Ritter a lot but last year he fumbled pretty hard when Smith went down. Maybe give him a shot if Smith continues to suck but I wouldn’t put all our eggs in that basket

I do not think they have a choice if Smith continues the way he is. They need to find out what Rittich really is. Forget about last year. That was his first experience.

If it doesnt work. Go get another goalie before it's too late.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think the Flames should alternate between Smith and Rittich to give Smitty his maximum rest. I don't believe he is done yet, but needs to regain his confidence in order to play a string of games. Alternating also takes any pressure off of Rittich that he did not handle well last year when asked to play a string of games. That would be the optimal solution in my view.

If Smitty continues to stink the Flames won't be able to afford the losses and would have to ride Ritter with the hope he can graduate to the #1 job. I think he can as he has one more year of maturity and experience now.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

I really doubt any trade would happen much before the trade deadline because by then Tre knows pretty much what his goalies are capable of and I don't think he makes a move unless he thinks there is a significant upgrade.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I do not think they have a choice if Smith continues the way he is. They need to find out what Rittich really is. Forget about last year. That was his first experience.

If it doesnt work. Go get another goalie before it's too late.

This is very true, Rittch now has a year of experience under his belt, lets see what he is. We need to win games now and Rittch gives us the best opportunity to do it, if down the road Rittch proves that he cannot give us the best opportunity to win games, than you go back to Smith or look for another option.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Rittich has saved the most goals above average/60 of all goalies this season.

Hes been so good but the Flames need to be better in front of him because we can't rely on an unproven goalie to be a vezina candidate. The games against Buffalo and Colorado were big steps up defensively.

Attachments

• IMG_20181103_103524.jpg
    IMG_20181103_103524.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 512
Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Rittich has saved the most goals above average/60 of all goalies this season.

Hes been so good but the Flames need to be better in front of him because we can't rely on an unproven goalie to be a vezina candidate. The games against Buffalo and Colorado were big steps up defensively.

My goodness are Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck overrated by the league and their fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated: