Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I would do it. Like it or not, we are kinda ****ed if we don't get a starter.

It is 10 games in and we haven't even had time to figure out if we are f-ed. THe sky is falling chicken little routine is silly. Rittich is among the leaders. Maybe we should figure out what we have before wasting prospects and/or draft picks mortgaging the teams future on bringing in a goalie.

1Semyon Varlamov, GCOL84221.6213262249.950031.333
2Devan Dubnyk, GMIN85121.9616289273.945032.667
Jaroslav Halak, GBOS63021.438146138.945200.000
4John Gibson, GANA94412.2820335315.940154.800
Andrei Vasilevskiy, GTB75111.8313218205.9401221.000
6Casey DeSmith, GPIT42021.958132124.939120.000
7David Rittich, GCGY52102.379134125.933000.000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To this point I am comfortable with what is happening in net though I think Rittich should start more until Smith has righted his ship.

And if you are going to trade for someone it is someone like Halak (cheaper) who went on an incredible run, Dubnyk, Price, or Bobrovsky not some unknown in Raanta. Raanta has injury issues and has not shown he is a playoff performer.

Oh and I was the person that said Gillies should have been the back-up at the beginning of the season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is one of the only trades involving Sam that I don’t hate

Me too. I really don’t want to deal Sam, but if he’s going to remain a LW he’s likely always going to be behind Chucky and Johnny. The big thing I don’t like though is Rask isn’t old but he had lots of mileage on him. You only make that deal if you’re sure we can win this season and next season.

Reactions: Janks

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Apparently some B’s fans are open to Bennett and Smith for Rask.

We would find out quickly that Rask doesn't stop 2 on 0 breakdowns either, and now we don't have Bennett.

I'm fairly sure that the players know that better goaltending results are in their power, even if fans aren't acknowledging it.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We would find out quickly that Rask doesn't stop 2 on 0 breakdowns either, and now we don't have Bennett.

I'm fairly sure that the players know that better goaltending results are in their power, even if fans aren't acknowledging it.

The only thing though, Rask is an undeniable elite goalie. He’s this generations Kipper, I’m just not sure how much gas he has left.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The only thing though, Rask is an undeniable elite goalie. He’s this generations Kipper, I’m just not sure how much gas he has left.

What does that mean, though? Rask has a .902 SV%, which if he had here would get him roundly bashed, no different than Smith.

If we play the way we mostly did against Washington from here on out, our goaltending will be fine. If we play the way we did the three games prior, goaltending isn't going to save us even if we get Carey Price.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Patience is the key. I bet Smith figures it out pretty quickly. Rittich looks like a promising goalie again. Might as well just be patient and see what we have.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Bruins fans running Rask out of town in the first few months is almost a yearly tradition. Still he always ends up playing 60+ games with a >.915% SV%. They'd be absolute fools to trade him in favor of Jaro Halak.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Patience is the key. I bet Smith figures it out pretty quickly. Rittich looks like a promising goalie again. Might as well just be patient and see what we have.

One of the things that this team is missing is the compete level and the inability to play defence, this never happened with Darryl Sutter's team. I like Bill Peters and I am patient with Peters but I really wish we went with Darryl Sutter.

Reactions: Nanuuk

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
One of the things that this team is missing is the compete level and the inability to play defence, this never happened with Darryl Sutter's team. I like Bill Peters and I am patient with Peters but I really wish we went with Darryl Sutter.

All of the Sutter's are dinosaurs. The league has moved so far past their coaching style it isn't funny.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I wouldn't say that. There are only so many hockey systems out there. And Darryl was adaptable to change the system to match the players that a GM gave him.

Reactions: viper0220

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Missing some patience right now; get into end of 2nd week of November before panicking. Remember Friedman's American Thanksgiving theory.

Reactions: SKRusty

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What does that mean, though? Rask has a .902 SV%, which if he had here would get him roundly bashed, no different than Smith.

If we play the way we mostly did against Washington from here on out, our goaltending will be fine. If we play the way we did the three games prior, goaltending isn't going to save us even if we get Carey Price.

Well if you’re just looking at stats of this young season, you can argue that Rask hasn’t been much better than Smith. But if you’re using reasonable logic, Rask is consistently one of the top goalies year in and year out over the last decade.

The issue is the Flames have not had great goaltending since Kipper retired. Getting Rask would give us a high probability of solving that.

I’m not even sold on the idea myself, but it would be something you have to seriously consider. Smith’s deal is up after this season is over.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well if you’re just looking at stats of this young season, you can argue that Rask hasn’t been much better than Smith. But if you’re using reasonable logic, Rask is consistently one of the top goalies year in and year out over the last decade.

The issue is the Flames have not had great goaltending since Kipper retired. Getting Rask would give us a high probability of solving that.

I’m not even sold on the idea myself, but it would be something you have to seriously consider. Smith’s deal is up after this season is over.

I get it, but I just feel like.... imagine you had a boat, but it had a hole in the hull and couldn't float. Buying Rask would be replacing the motor.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Possibly. But let’s assume that the hole gets fixed and at the same tome now you also added a fancy new motor.

That would be great, but when you fix the hole, you may realize that the motor actually works just fine so long as the hull is intact and making its job reasonable. Then maybe you're relieved you didn't blow a grand on the new motor.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That would be great, but when you fix the hole, you may realize that the motor actually works just fine so long as the hull is intact and making its job reasonable. Then maybe you're relieved you didn't blow a grand on the new motor.

For sure, but that’s why I think you have to look at the goalies performances over the last several years. One motor has proven to give much better performance.

Of course though as you say, if management thinks Smith is going to carry the boat where it needs to go, they aren’t going to make a move.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For sure, but that’s why I think you have to look at the goalies performances over the last several years. One motor has proven to give much better performance.

Of course though as you say, if management thinks Smith is going to carry the boat where it needs to go, they aren’t going to make a move.

It's not just that, though. Not making a move doesn't mean that management doesn't want to improve. It can also just mean they don't want to pay the price. No team is without a position of weakness, but patching a hole usually means a loss in another area.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It's not just that, though. Not making a move doesn't mean that management doesn't want to improve. It can also just mean they don't want to pay the price. No team is without a position of weakness, but patching a hole usually means a loss in another area.

I will add to that a little. Lets say getting Rask will cost a first and Kylington... Maybe there is another option out there that will cost us a second and Klimchuk for Crawford after your scouts do their due diligence and as the manager you see the medical records that indicate none of the past injuries should be an issue moving forward. Is Rask in a down year worth more than Schnieder that is now expendable because Kinkaid is out performing Schnieder by 0.04% on the save percentage and the Devils want to get Kovalchuk. By trading for Rask today we pay the price for years to come.

Maybe Bobrovsky tanks through until the trade deadline with a .895 save percentage and you have an opportunity to take advantage of a toxic dressing room for 2 thirds.

Now is time to assess what you have and see how potential trade targets shake out. Remember the Patrick Roy trade?

Roy, a three-time Vezina Trophy winner who led the Canadiens to Stanley Cup titles as a rookie in 1986 and again in 1993, was sent to Colorado with right wing Mike Keane, the captain, for goalie Jocelyn Thibault, left wing Martin Rucinsky and right wing Andrei Kovalenko

For arguments sake Price gets blown out and pulls a Patrick Roy. This is the best offer Montreal receives out of conference. Pretty much what happened in Colorado.

Price (Habs take 2 mill a year of Prices contract) and Paul Byron -------for Mike Smith, Stone, Gillies, and Foo.

You don't want to have to play your cards until your sure you have the winning hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Missing some patience right now; get into end of 2nd week of November before panicking. Remember Friedman's American Thanksgiving theory.

Sorry Body Checker, but what is “Friedman's American Thanksgiving theory?”

This is a off topic question but how do you get more fans to join a forum(like this one.)? Does the team being good and winning get more fans? Does playing a entertaining game help more fans to join a forum like this? What I am getting at is, how do we get more Flames fans to join this forum?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

Not a Flames fan, I'll say that straight off, but I think you're overrating Rask.

Averaging the last three seasons, Rask and Mike Smith have posted identical .915 save percentages.

Rask has posted a better GAA with 2.38 to Mike Smith's 2.73, but he's also seen four fewer shots per game.

If Rask saw shots at the rate Mike Smith has, it'd add up to nearly a thousand more over the full sample. Presuming he saved them at the same rate, his GAA would raise to 2.64.

It would really be a marginal upgrade at best. Don't think it's in your team's best interest to give up a bunch to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad