Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
With the firings in LA, it should put pressure on teams that are not doing good, hopefully GM's pf those teams get desperate and we can take advantage.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The guys were mentioning upgrades to what we have in Smith and Rittich. 5 cups between the 2 guys you said no to and both were integral parts. They know how to win. Crawford is at 909 just coming off an injury and Quick when he is healthy is probably one of the largest competitors there is in the NHL. That said Dubnyk would be my choice for a couple reasons. The price is great and he smacks of a guy wanting to prove all his nay-sayers wrong.
Brodeur and Roy are available too, 7 cups between them.

Just because Quick & Crawford won cups in their primes means jack **** when our cup window is the next 3-4. You're just going to be picking up the next Mike Smith (always injured).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Seems like more teams are unhappy with their goaltending this year than the teams that are happy/content.

Combine that with a lot of guys like Rinne and Lundqvist not getting any younger, Brad could have some fun trying to figure out what to do this off season.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Seems like more teams are unhappy with their goaltending this year than the teams that are happy/content.

Combine that with a lot of guys like Rinne and Lundqvist not getting any younger, Brad could have some fun trying to figure out what to do this off season.
Sounds like a time where teams need to focus on developing their own goalies...

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
FUTURE WATCH UPDATE - 06.11.18

WHL

Milos Roman - Center - Vancouver Giants
8 goals, 6 assists, 14 points in 17 games
OHL

Adam Ruzicka - Centre - Sarnia Sting
3 goals, 13 assists, 16 points in 16 games
QMJHL

D'Artagnan Joly - Right Wing - Baie-Comeau Drakkar
8 goals, 7 assists, 15 points in 18 games
Dmitry Zavgorodniy - Left Wing - Rimouski Oceanic
11 goals, 17 assists, 28 points in 19 games
USHL

Martin Pospisil - Centre - Sioux City Musketeers
7 goals, 18 assists, 25 points in 13 games
NCAA

Demetrios Koumontzis - Left Wing - Arizona State
1 goal, 6 assists, 7 points in 10 games
Mathias Emilio Pettersen - Centre - Denver
3 goals, 8 assists, 11 points in 6 games
Mitchell Mattsson - Centre - Michigan State
0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points in 4 games
EUROPE

Linus Lindstrom - Centre - Skelleftea (SHL)
1 goal, 0 assists, 1 point in 15 games
Eetu Tuulola - Right Wing - HPK (Liiga)
6 goals, 9 assists, 15 points in 20 games
Filip Sveningsson - Left Wing - IK Oskarshamn (Allsvenskan)
7 goals, 8 assists, 15 points in 15 games
ECHL - KANSAS CITY MAVERICKS

Nick Schneider - Goaltender
2-1-1 with a 2.72 GAA and a .907 save percentage
Mason McDonald - Goaltender
3-0-0 with a 2.25 GAA and a .900 save percentage

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Lindstrom and Mattson should be cut loose immediately following this season.

The Flames don't need to make a decision on either for a couple years, but I would be suprised to see either of them play in the AHL much less the NHL

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Smith, Lazar, and a 2020 4th for Jimmy Howard?

Jimmy Howard:
NHL TOTALS: GP 472 W 225 SO 24 GAA 2.50 SV% 0.915
2018-19: GP 11 W 4 GAA 2.93 SV% 0.917

34 years old, Pending UFA making $5, 291 666($4,267,473 actual remaining)

Just kick that goaltending can a little further down the road.

edit: Smith can submit an 8 team no trade list :\

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Smith, Lazar, and a 2020 4th for Jimmy Howard?

Jimmy Howard:
NHL TOTALS: GP 472 W 225 SO 24 GAA 2.50 SV% 0.915
2018-19: GP 11 W 4 GAA 2.93 SV% 0.917

34 years old, Pending UFA making $5, 291 666($4,267,473 actual remaining)

Just kick that goaltending can a little further down the road.

edit: Smith can submit an 8 team no trade list :\

That seems like too much. IIRC, I've seen Detroit fans say a 4th is enough for Howard. 3rd or more only if salary retention. I don't know if this is still the case or if his price has increased.

Andersen from Ottawa is another guy worth looking at IMO.

(Assumption, stop gap goalies vs long term options which might not be available)

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Howard has looked decent last year and this year, given the tire fire Detroit is. He's average.

If the Wings move him for Smith to save salary, I'd do it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We should take a look at Mrazek. He’s still young at 26, and already has almost 200 games. That’s impressive. With a defense that has played pretty good lately, I can’t see how Mrazek wouldn’t get a good chance to prove he’s a starter again.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
We should take a look at Mrazek. He’s still young at 26, and already has almost 200 games. That’s impressive. With a defense that has played pretty good lately, I can’t see how Mrazek wouldn’t get a good chance to prove he’s a starter again.
IIRC around the time of the Vegas expansion draft there were rumours that Mrazek had attitude issues which soured teams from trading for him and it led to Detroit leaving him exposed.

EDIT: Here's the article Detroit Red Wings exposed Petr Mrazek due to performance, attitude

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'd gladly do that trade if Smith was willing to waive his NTC (or if he doesn't have Detroit on there). Howard is average which is miles ahead of what Smith has been for the last eight or so months.

Lazar level prospect + mid round pick + cap dump is about as it's going to get for Detroit if they trade Howard.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if Holland just re-signs Howard either. He does things like that a lot.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Lindstrom and Mattson should be cut loose immediately following this season.

Looking at the stats of our prospects it does seem pretty bleak. I mean most are like 4th rounders and up so I can't hate, but it sucks only seeing like two guys having good years our of all our forwards (Pospisil and Pettersen). Even Pospisil is doing it in an over-ager year in a tier 2 league (USHL opposed to NCAA), but at least he is dominating the league. Pettersen could be a stud though, if he can keep this kind of production up the kid is essentially a blue chip prospect after the year. Really hope this kid pans out as he grew up a Flames fan.

I have faith in pretty much no one else at this point to ever push for a roster spot other than Pettersen, Mangiapane and maybe Foo. Forgot Lil' Z, he looks promising as well.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Looking at the stats of our prospects it does seem pretty bleak. I mean most are like 4th rounders and up so I can't hate, but it sucks only seeing like two guys having good years our of all our forwards (Pospisil and Pettersen). Even Pospisil is doing it in an over-ager year in a tier 2 league (USHL opposed to NCAA), but at least he is dominating the league. Pettersen could be a stud though, if he can keep this kind of production up the kid is essentially a blue chip prospect after the year. Really hope this kid pans out as he grew up a Flames fan.

I have faith in pretty much no one else at this point to ever push for a roster spot other than Pettersen, Mangiapane and maybe Foo. Forgot Lil' Z, he looks promising as well.

Yeah with a total lack of picks in recent years, the Flames have really had to take some swings. So far a few of them look somewhat promising, but the 2 I mentioned don’t look to have any future, even in the AHL.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Yeah with a total lack of picks in recent years, the Flames have really had to take some swings. So far a few of them look somewhat promising, but the 2 I mentioned don’t look to have any future, even in the AHL.

It's not even those two you mentioned, 2/4 of our goalies are nothing prospects and even Gillies looks super shaky and Parsons is getting lit up in his short pro career (though I know our defence is terrible in Stockton).

Not having 2nd round picks for a lot of drafts really kills. With the way Hammer has been playing this year (fantastic) and the emergence of Vali and Ras out defence is pretty much set with another 22 year old Hanifin, and the 1st rounder doesn't hurt as much because Hammer is still young-ish and has been solid.

Hopefully the Flames can draft some stud offensive kids in the 1st round in the next couple of drafts though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's not even those two you mentioned, 2/4 of our goalies are nothing prospects and even Gillies looks super shaky and Parsons is getting lit up in his short pro career (though I know our defence is terrible in Stockton).

Not having 2nd round picks for a lot of drafts really kills. With the way Hammer has been playing this year (fantastic) and the emergence of Vali and Ras out defence is pretty much set with another 22 year old Hanifin, and the 1st rounder doesn't hurt as much because Hammer is still young-ish and has been solid.

Hopefully the Flames can draft some stud offensive kids in the 1st round in the next couple of drafts though.

I think they will. It looks like Dube will graduate this year and Mangiapagne isn’t far behind either. If we can go 2 years without trading any picks in the first 3 rounds, it will go a long way to restock the cupboards.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd gladly do that trade if Smith was willing to waive his NTC (or if he doesn't have Detroit on there). Howard is average which is miles ahead of what Smith has been for the last eight or so months.

Lazar level prospect + mid round pick + cap dump is about as it's going to get for Detroit if they trade Howard.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if Holland just re-signs Howard either. He does things like that a lot.

I didn't realized Bernier could shake free. So if Howard is extended, what if the move was Rittich + ?

We'd be targeting Bernier if Rittich couldn't carry the mail. Bernier seems to do well as a backup/1B, but struggles if his load is higher. I think Rittich is going to be the same calibre of goalie, but he's a sophomore and consistency isn't there yet. Bernier's consistency is slightly better than Rittich assuming Rittich is faltering in a few months.

Bernier/Smith might not be horrible tandem. His 3x3 contract is manageable. Bernier as a backup at 3 mil isn't bad as a backup option or 1B option. Still enough room to figure out a starter to place in front of Bernier, or use Bernier as a platoon option.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If you actually watched all of Parsons' games played down there you would realize that there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I haven't watched any games, but I have heard our goalies are getting lit up more so because of the defence being terrible (like I said).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad