Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Doesn’t make sense to move a first at this point. And as I’ve said in another thread you can’t move a free agent you just signed long term after 20 games. Bad look for the franchise

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
And if he doesn't?

Then we obviously have a problem no?

Why the hell are we giving up on a player based on 18 games again and desperate to get rid of him? Goal scorers are streaky, this isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

You'd think he was two years into a contract and hasn't broken double digit goals the way people are acting.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
And if he doesn't?

Toffoli has one more goal than Neal. He's struggling as well and is playing 18 minutes a night compared to Neal's 15 1/2.

Yes, Toffoli is 5 years younger, but also only has one year left after this and is statistically and stylistically the exact same player as Neal. Trading a 1st round pick and a potential boom prospect for a player who is NOT a roster upgrade is a laughable suggestion.

Neal also brings more physicality (which this team desperately lacks) and far more leadership to this team than Toffoli ever would.

James Neal will heat up eventually.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Then we obviously have a problem no?

Why the hell are we giving up on a player based on 18 games again and desperate to get rid of him? Goal scorers are streaky, this isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

You'd think he was two years into a contract and hasn't broken double digit goals the way people are acting.

Brouwer really paved the way :popcorn:.

Neal's not the only one who hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet. Czarnik, Backlund, Hanifin, and Ryan have also been pretty slow out of the gates at least to my eye. People always expect a ton out of a high price UFA to begin with, as if Neal should earn that 28 million all in the first 3 months. Lot of new faces, including a new coaching staff and the team is two points out of 1st in the division. As the depth and team starts to gel a bit more I think you'll see some of these complimentary players start to see some more production.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Brouwer really paved the way :popcorn:.

Neal's not the only one who hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet. Czarnik, Backlund, Hanifin, and Ryan have also been pretty slow out of the gates at least to my eye. People always expect a ton out of a high price UFA to begin with, as if Neal should earn that 28 million all in the first 3 months. Lot of new faces, including a new coaching staff and the team is two points out of 1st in the division. As the depth and team starts to gel a bit more I think you'll see some of these complimentary players start to see some more production.

I'm half expecting Lindholm to cool off at some point and Neal to replace him on that line. And when Neal starts to cool off they'll flip again. It's a luxury.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
And if he doesn't?

In addition to my prior post, someone posted this on reddit which also helps put things into perspective with James Neal as a player.

In each of the past 4 seasons James Neal has had an 18 game stretch where he scored 3 goals or less. His lowest goal total among those seasons was 23.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I remember when Neal first got traded to Pittsburgh, 20 games played and he scored 1 goal and had 5 assists, then the playoffs hit and he went 1G 1A in 7 games. The next year he came out and put up a point per game. Now I don't expect him to be a point per game player or anything, but he has had massive cold streaks before and has bounced back. Even last year, his second half was fairly terrible, but the first half he pretty much carried Vegas and was scoring nearly every game or 2nd game. Point being he can get hot and put points up.

He is shooting at 7% right now, but IMO has been getting some good looks pretty much every game.

We aren't even 20 games into his first year, it's f***ing stupid to thinking he is anywhere close to Brouwer status at this point. I'll await until June to reserve judgement.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Very interesting statement my Peters. The night before the July 20108 draft he knew the Flames were going to make a trade but he didn't think it was going to be with Carolina.
I wonder who the other team was and who the players were.

Click on the pic below to get to my flickr account and once in the account click on it again to watch the video clip...

PRE-GAME - PETERS - 15.11.18 _ NHL.com - Google Chrome 2018-11-15 2_53_32 PM by MJ Haidenger, on Flickr

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
It was heavily rumoured that it was with Philly I believe. Flames wanted Provorov and Philly wanted to trade a different d-man instead. Flames eventually went with Carolina's offer instead.

For one I am glad it was with Carolina because Lindholm is everything we needed + more and I think Hanifin still has huge upside. However, Provorov on the back end would be amazing as I think he is one of the best d-man in the league.

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
Flames can't afford to trade another first round pick or the few decent forward prospects they have left.

If Neal doesn't pan out, they can always compliance him out after the next lockout.
We need a Goalie, with Rittich. So, pan Neal & Smith off to 'never-land' for a decent back-up Goalie.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I saw Neal for Pacioretty suggested by Flames fans. I'd do it...

Also I'd take almost any backup in the league over Smith right now so maybe try to swing a trade for a mediocre (huge improvement) goalie.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames fans looking for an upgrade between the pipes can likely cross Sergei Bobrovsky off the list of potential solutions.

Elliotte Friedman had a Friday morning radio hit on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960, and as part of a larger discussion on the struggles of Mike Smith and which goaltenders might be available as potential trade options, the Insider was asked about Bobrovsky.

“I don’t think he’s coming to Calgary,” indicated Friedman. “He has control. He has a no-move clause. I have reported that it’s believed that he’s given them a list of places that he’s willing to go, and I don’t think Calgary is on that list. That’s my guess.”
Friedman doesn’t see Bobrovsky as option for Flames

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I saw Neal for Pacioretty suggested by Flames fans. I'd do it...

Also I'd take almost any backup in the league over Smith right now so maybe try to swing a trade for a mediocre (huge improvement) goalie.

I'm almost thinking that unless someone is looking to rebuild and is willing to let a starter shake loose, the only legit options are Andersen (Ottawa) and Howard/Bernier (Detroit) due to acquisition cost and cap AAV/duration. We'd have to pay them to take Smith as a cap dump though and I'm not too sure if it's necessarily worth it. Management may prefer to ride out Smith and hope that he gets back to last season early form.

I know there's the idea that management is petting Smith's ego, but I don't think it's as simple as that. With how wildly inconsistent some goalies have been lately, I think many goalies are going to want to see evidence the team isn't going to crucify them and toss them out like a used tissue if things aren't going well.

EDIT: Crazy idea... what if we tried to swing some type of deal where we take someone who is faltering and hope that they at least have potential we can try to benefit from in the next few seasons. This season wise, it's meh for meh, but we also pit other teams against each other for the best FA or trade options out there. I've been super impressed with the Sharks swinging some 3 way things. I wonder if Tre could try to broker or influence a move that trickles down to us.

ie: Smith for Darling? I hear Darling is turning the corner (even though I think he's in the AHL right now for essentially a conditioning stint after IR activation?), has a bunch of potential left and essentially is equal to Smith as of now. 3 more years at 4.15 AAV isn't too bad, would be even better if he was salary retained if we pay up a little more. Carolina Management could perhaps be swayed that a change of scenery benefited both teams once and could do so again. If Smith falters, Carolina suddenly has the opportunity to chase Bob which they wouldn't have had if they still have Darling.

Jake Allen for the Blues could be another one. We swap Smith for Allen and worst case, Blues have a shot at Bob. Allen also has a style where I wonder he's a poor fit for the Blues (Positional play that Elliott thrived in). IIRC he used to make some bonkers saves, but maybe he just struggles with a play style that has him play robotic?

Markstrom for Vanc could be another. Vancouver's d corps isn't as good as ours and as if Markstrom can keep up an average save percentage, he and Rittich might be able to give us reasonable backstopping for a reasonable longer term (3-4 seasons AAV) while Gilles and Parsons and whoever sort things out.

NYI with Lehner?

etc.

Thoughts?

IMO, it doesn't look like there's many (if any) goalie options out there at all and we're sitting in a disadvantageous situation in terms of luring the top options to our fold out there (FA or trade or otherwise) this TDL or off season. There's always going to be what ifs... so why not play off the sour emotions of other GM and try to get some value in a situation where we likely are at risk of souring on whoever we decide on anyways?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad