Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
According to TSN's trade bait list:
Kane, Maroon, Hoffman, Grabner, Nash, Patches, Vanek, Galchenyuk, Letestu, Nyquist and Leivo among many others.

How many teams are looking to add? 10-15? Not all need forwards. Someone will shake loose for a reasonable price. I'm not even remotely concerned about Tre making a **** move here.

I think a lot of those guys are candidates to stick with their teams though.

Pacioretty has another year left on his deal so if they don't get what they want i can see waiting to the draft where there are likely more suitors. I think Maroon and the Oilers both want him back next year so i think he could easily stick around.

Galchenyuk is only going for a premium in my view even though he isn't close to worth it. The Rangers seem insane with their asking prices on everyone.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Ngl I hope we steer clear of everyone not named Hoffman, Grabner, or Nyquist

I’m not overly interested in Grabner. Almost half of his goals are empty netters this year, he’s not as good as the numbers show and the numbers aren’t that good. I like the other two and a super cheap add like Leivo would work for me too

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd be open to either Leivo or Soshnikov depending on the price.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Leivo/Soshnikov
Lomberg - Stajan - Versteeg

I think Lomberg could fill a role similar to what Ferland did in the playoffs against Vancouver. Brouwer has an extra, and either Lazar or Hathaway as the 14th.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I know at this time you are borderline trolling (not in a bad way) and having fun with this but the answer is hell yes I think they will pass on him. Mainly because he isn't close to the next Iginla and his teammates tossed his clothes in the shower not sure that is a ton of love.

I never joke about bricks of cash and money phones.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Sureloss:

Friedman on 960 says he is pretty sure that the Flames scouting the Sens is about Zach Smith.

Says Flames looking for a 3rd line C and Smith can play a western conference style game.

Issue is Sens want futures and Flames don't have picks so likely prospect being sent to Sens. Flames have no interest in trading Valimaki or Andersson.

Me:
In response why have Valimaki and Andersson even been talked about for Zach f***ing Smith with his contract I don't know that I'd pick him up off waivers he's basically slightly younger gritty Stajan.

Someone please save Treliving from himself. I really hope LeBrun was right saying it was Hoffman.

Unsure how to get rid of the boxes they came with the copy and paste.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamerForLife

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well I don't mind the idea of bringing in a center and moving Jankowski to the 4th line I would much prefer to bring in a 2nd line center or at least a guy with some offensive talent (which Smith does not have) and certainly not a guy who is slow, older and comes with a terrible deal.

This has to be wrong.

The waivers comment is right, with his deal I would pass on him on waivers.

That said Smith for Brouwer would be a deal I would be fine with but I doubt that is a possibility.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Also Boomer (I don't listen to his show so I have 0 idea how credible he is) is insinuating that the Flames aren't willing to give Backlund 5×5. So that's great too lose the 50 point center who is our best PKer and defensive forward.

So a team with zero center depth wants to acquire a 3rd line center who is overpaid and has too long of a contract and then let their 2nd line center walk. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Also Boomer (I don't listen to his show so I have 0 idea how credible he is) is insinuating that the Flames aren't willing to give Backlund 5×5. So that's great too lose the 50 point center who is our best PKer and defensive forward.

So a team with zero center depth wants to acquire a 3rd line center who is overpaid and has too long of a contract and then let their 2nd line center walk. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Boomer is not credible at all. He is a local media so he likely has better access than a regular fan does and could hear rumours of things faster than us maybe but I can't think of a time in the past that he has got something right and many times he has been wrong.

I also don't listen to the Fan 960 as much as I used to but from reading online and talking to friends it seems Boomer has consistently been moving away from being a legit sports radio guy to more of an obnoxious "shock jock" type guy that cares more about stupid bits than actual sports.

I have a hard time believing they are so strong in their stance that they are unwilling to give Backlund 5 x 5 that sounds more like a sound bite that can fill a couple of segments on a Friday morning rather than actual truth.

As someone who is terrified that we are going to sign Backlund to a boat anchor deal I would consider those numbers and I am sure the Flames value Backlund more than I do and aren't a cold when it comes to moving on from guys as I am.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
FML...if they seriously bring in Smith then Tre has no idea what he is doing, unless of course Brouwer goes out the door, which isn't happening. Would you rather have Backlund at 5 million or Smith at ~3? The fact that that question even has to be asked is unnerving. The only players from OTT that should be looked at are Hoffman and Pageau.

I'm not going to worry too much though, the only way I see Smith coming here is in a multi player trade with OTT where we also obtain Hoffman.

mvp1977

Feb 9, 2018
I think Domi is the player the Flames should target as they could insert him on the 3rd line or even bump him up and he can play aside Tkachuk.
What about a proposal that involved Gilles?

To Calgary : Max Domi

To Arizona : Jon Gillies
Troy Brouwer

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah if they honestly trade for Zach Smith and don’t RW-sign Backlund then it’s pretty clear that Treliving has absolutely no idea what he’s doing.

Feaster was kind of stupid. But at least he acquired talent when he was here.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This is why Burke was brought in. If Treliving tries to go full Dutter, Burke steps in to prevent another franchise crippling move.

But yeah, hard to believe Treliving would actually balk at giving Backlund 5mx5yrs but would be okay with Smith at 3.25Mx3yrs, especially if the cost is Gillies+. That's a move right out of D.Sutter's playbook.

I can see them having interest in Smith given it's a Flames tradition, regardless of GM, to bring in overpaid declining veteran players signed forever to play on their bottom lines. But there's no way anyone could actually seriously think Smith would be a credible Backlund replacement, or that even Jankowski+Smith could do the job at this point in time.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I think Domi is the player the Flames should target as they could insert him on the 3rd line or even bump him up and he can play aside Tkachuk.
What about a proposal that involved Gilles?

To Calgary : Max Domi

To Arizona : Jon Gillies
Trot Brouwer

What in the world? I know it’s normal for teams to value their own prospects highly but god I’ve seen some ridiculous homerism both here and on the main boards from Flames fans. Let’s try and be realistic people

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Feaster was kind of stupid. But at least he acquired talent when he was here.

He did?

A major problem with this teams depth is the lack of talent from the Feaster era.

And yes I know he drafted Gaudreau in the 4th round.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He did?

A major problem with this teams depth is the lack of talent from the Feaster era.

And yes I know he drafted Gaudreau in the 4th round.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland, Gillies, Baertschi, Granlund. Who has Treliving brought in besides Hamilton, Smith, or Hamonic?

I mean Hamilton he got lucky Sweeney had a grudge. Smith was a good move.

Look at all his brutal moves: 1) Brouwer 2) multiple goaltending disaster moves 3) not signing Ferland to a long deal. 4) letting go of Paul Byron.

I think he’s starting to show he’s the guy that ran Arizona. Who did they acquire when he was there? They should have been Oilers bad if they didn’t have Mike Smith.

He hasn’t added much depth and even worse he’s added almost zero elite skill.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Am I the only one that just googled Zack Smith to see if he's a real hockey player? Turns out he's been in the league for almost ten years and actually scored 25 goals a few years back. I honestly have no recollection of him whatsoever.

But yeah, looks like a decent LHS 3rd liner if that's what we're looking for...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we're bringing in Smith, it comes with the intention of sending Janko back to the Heat.

Also after give Brouwer 4.5x4 at his age I have a hard time thinking Treliving doesn't want give Michael Selke 5x5

Reactions: Dack

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland, Gillies, Baertschi, Granlund. Who has Treliving brought in besides Hamilton, Smith, or Hamonic?

I mean Hamilton he got lucky Sweeney had a grudge. Smith was a good move.

Look at all his brutal moves: 1) Brouwer 2) multiple goaltending disaster moves 3) not signing Ferland to a long deal. 4) letting go of Paul Byron.

I think he’s starting to show he’s the guy that ran Arizona. Who did they acquire when he was there? They should have been Oilers bad if they didn’t have Mike Smith.

He hasn’t added much depth and even worse he’s added almost zero elite skill.

Ferland was a Sutter draft pick, Gillies has played what 2 games in the NHL, Baertschi and Granlund both suck and are gone.

So you basically have Gaudreau, Monahan, Jankowski and Kulak right now.

Treliving has brought in Bennett, Tkachuk, Hamilton, Frolik, Smith, Stone, Hamonic, Brouwer plus some other minor guys that have rotated in and out.

I am also not sure how Hamilton is luck but Gaudreau in the 4th isn't. If they knew was that good and left to the 4th they are idiots. It wasn't like only Treliving knew Hamilton was available any team in the league could have made a deal and Treliving was smart to act fast and give the Bruins what they wanted. Saying they got lucky is a huge stretch.

Now a direct comparison is a little unfair as Treliving is here now so the team is going of course the team will have more of his guys but Feaster left this team with a pile of dung in terms of depth. The fact that we have nothing out the the Iginla and Bouwmeester trades has set this team back as much as any move by Sutter or Treliving.

I am not sure elite skill is the exact term but adding Tkachuk and Hamilton is pretty darn close to adding it. Considering how had it is to add elite skill either your expectations are ridiculous or you just want to ignore what he has done.

Edit: as far as brutal moves letting go of a crappy Byron and not signing Ferland to a long term deal are huge stretches to say they are brutal. Ferland's Cy Young season leeching off Monahan and Gaudreau shouldn't cost us too much and if it does then good riddance. Byron just sucks so who cares about losing him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’m not saying Feaster is a great GM but if he wasn’t here this team would have almost no top end talent.

Hamilton was a mistake by Sweeney. Not a brilliant move by Treliving.

Tkachuk was painfully obvious at 6. Bennett was the same way. But I don’t think you can get mad when a player doesn’t turn out.

I just think it’s hilarious how good this team is 5 on 5. And yet Gulutzan gets absolutely crapped on. When clearly this teams problem is depth, and special teams. Which he is not in control of. Don’t see why Treliving is this god when he continually makes moves that show he’s not a great hockey mind like Yzerman or Poile.

And yes Ferland not getting a long term deal, and Byron getting waived were stupid. And no that’s not revisionist history, I said as much at the time of the transactions.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
If we're bringing in Smith, it comes with the intention of sending Janko back to the Heat.

Also after give Brouwer 4.5x4 at his age I have a hard time thinking Treliving doesn't want give Michael Selke 5x5

I don’t want smith, but regardless of whether or not we get him I cannot fathom them not being willing to give Backlund 5x5. Sounds like a garbage rumor to me too, Backlund gets 6 easily on the open market, possibly more from a team desperate for help at C. It makes no sense not to resign our 2C when no one has shown that they’re even remotely ready to takeover that spot

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I’m not saying Feaster is a great GM but if he wasn’t here this team would have almost no top end talent.

Hamilton was a mistake by Sweeney. Not a brilliant move by Treliving.

Tkachuk was painfully obvious at 6. Bennett was the same way. But I don’t think you can get mad when a player doesn’t turn out.

And yes Ferland not getting a long term deal, and Byron getting waived were stupid. And no that’s not revisionist history, I said as much at the time of the transactions.

If Tkachuk was painfully obviously at 6 then so was Monahan. Why give credit to Feaster for that pick and take credit away from Treliving?

Also with the Feaster years we likely still have Monahan, at least if not more, with a replacement level GM, but even ignoring that this team still has Gio, Hamilton, Brodie, Tkachuk, Ferland, Backlund without Feaster. So not really "almost no top end talent" at all that is just a flat out lie.

28 other teams had the exact same information as Treliving, they had the exact same chance to trade for him. It is absolutely pathetic the way you are trying to spin this as a luck move by Treliving. If that really was not a good move by Treliving then I guess every single trade is just a bad move by the team that loses.

So basically it seems, like most Feaster fans, you want to give him a ton of credit for Gaudreau as that is really the only thing Feaster has in his cap.

The Flames have as much top end talent from the evil Darryl Sutter on this team as they do from Feaster. They also have better depth from him as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sureloss:

Friedman on 960 says he is pretty sure that the Flames scouting the Sens is about Zach Smith.

Says Flames looking for a 3rd line C and Smith can play a western conference style game.

Issue is Sens want futures and Flames don't have picks so likely prospect being sent to Sens. Flames have no interest in trading Valimaki or Andersson.

Me:
In response why have Valimaki and Andersson even been talked about for Zach ****ing Smith with his contract I don't know that I'd pick him up off waivers he's basically slightly younger gritty Stajan.

Someone please save Treliving from himself. I really hope LeBrun was right saying it was Hoffman.

Unsure how to get rid of the boxes they came with the copy and paste.

There isn't much separation between Hfboards posters and non-broadcast radio host. The logic he's probably applying is that it's been rumoured that 5x5 is his ask, the contract hasn't been signed yet, therefore clearly the Flames aren't willing to do 5x5.

Thing is, that isn't how Treliving operates.

PS you can solve most post issues using the bbcode editor. If you click the page with wrench icon in the top right when you go to edit, you'll see that that post of yours is in a one cell table.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Regarding Boomers comments about Backlund, I think they were just speculating. Treliving plays hardball when it comes to extensions, they'll get something done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad