Speculation: Armchair GM Thread 2021-22 VI (the one where we ALMOST got Eichel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I don’t know about Petersson but watching Monahan, do you honestly have hope for a turnaround?

I see a player that is doing everything that is being asked of him. Sean Monahan is playing some incredibly low event hockey at even strength with an extremely limited supporting cast, and is producing as advertised on the PP. As of today, that's his role on this team - so no, I wouldn't expect him to be that 30+35 guy we are accustomed to seeing on this team unless his role or organization is changed.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Not at all supportive of rental deals. They don't work. However if we are still chugging along (top 1 or 2 in the conference) as we are at the deadline I may be ok with not selling Gaudreau if he has not extended yet but if they do that then they really really shouldn't use draft/prospect capital to bolster the lineup.

What are you talking about? Every single Stanley Cup winning team has made a deadline deal since 2006 (when I stopped looking into it because my lunch break ended)- some massive and some less significant obviously, but they certainly work.

With that being said, there is only one parade, and giving up significant future assets to not win can bite you in the butt, but they certainly can and have worked.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Not at all supportive of rental deals. They don't work. However if we are still chugging along (top 1 or 2 in the conference) as we are at the deadline I may be ok with not selling Gaudreau if he has not extended yet but if they do that then they really really shouldn't use draft/prospect capital to bolster the lineup.

Well if we keep playing like this we at least need to add a top 9 forward like Jarnkrok or Namestinikov. Hopefully Treliving believes his defensive depth is nine deep (I'm including Mackey) so he can move one of our 2nds for a top 9 forward rather than defensive depth.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Not at all supportive of rental deals. They don't work.

I would largely agree but with some caveats:

1) Your November roster can't be your April roster in the cap world. Every cup winner had a major mid-season add of some sort, even if it wasn't a rental. The season is to evaluate your needs... every team DOES load up at the deadline.

Tampa did the last couple of years with Coleman, Goodrow, and Savard.

St. Louis in 2019 added Binnington in 2019 and rode the heat wave before the scouting report was out on him.

Washington in 2018 added Michal Kempny who was a not insignificant add, even if it looked like a depth move

Pittsburgh added Hagelin, Schultz, Murray, Cole, Sheary, and Kuhnhackle in 2016 and added Jack Guentzal in 2017

Chicago added Vermette in 2015

L.A. added Gaborik in 2014

2) Expecting guys in high production roles to succeed in low production depth roles is foolish. But you still need to fill your holes. Too many of these rental trades seem to lack any real foresight into fit and are just "we needed x so we got the best xy available even though he's actually more a y that is redundant on our team full of ys". One that comes to mind is when the Predators added Franson in 2015. Why would a team with Shea Weber, Ryan Ellis, and Seth Jones acquire another right shot D?

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Elias Pettersson has been objectively worse than Sean Monahan this year - people realize that right? In fact he's looked like absolute trash for the past two seasons. Why do poor performances only effect the values of our assets around here?

Elias Pettersson (5 on 5)
265 minutes
0 goals
1 primary assist
1 secondary assist
5 hits
33% in the faceoff circle
2 penalties drawn
5 giveaways
8 takeaways
Most common linemates - Brock Boeser and JT Miller

Sean Monahan (5 on 5)
215 minutes
0 goals
2 primary assists
11 hits
52.5% in the faceoff circle
4 drawn penalties
6 giveaways
13 takeaways
Most common linemate - Trevor Lewis

Zemgus Girgensons (5v5)
203 minutes
3 goals
3 primary assists
20 hits
47% in the faceoff circle
3 drawn penalties
2 giveaways
4 takeaways
Most common linemate - Kyle Okposo

Is Zemgus Girgensons way better than Monahan and Pettersson?

It's not fair to use a 15 game sample to compare players in completely different situations. It's also become the norm for Monahan (almost 3 seasons of negligible 5v5 production) and it is the worst stretch of Pettersson's career. I also think Pettersson is a bit overrated but he's a very good 1C, put him on a better team and it's a completely different story

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
What are you talking about? Every single Stanley Cup winning team has made a deadline deal since 2006 (when I stopped looking into it because my lunch break ended)- some massive and some less significant obviously, but they certainly work.

With that being said, there is only one parade, and giving up significant future assets to not win can bite you in the butt, but they certainly can and have worked.
My deadline deal would be to not trade Gaudreau if he has not extended by then but thats only if they are still playing like this, if they fall back to middle of the pack Gaudreau must go if an extension hasn't been signed.
This team does not need depth players, Treliving made those trades before the season (Pitlick and Zadorov) this team needs to bolster the top 6 which doesn't happen at the deadline and our prospect pool sucks so the 1st shouldn't be moved regardless..

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
My deadline deal would be to not trade Gaudreau if he has not extended by then but thats only if they are still playing like this, if they fall back to middle of the pack Gaudreau must go if an extension hasn't been signed.
This team does not need depth players, Treliving made those trades before the season (Pitlick and Zadorov) this team needs to bolster the top 6 which doesn't happen at the deadline and our prospect pool sucks so the 1st shouldn't be moved regardless..

Deadline wish list, top 6 RS RW with a sniiiiipe (shoot first weapon), in order of plausible to a man can dream:
Kessel
Tarasenko
Forsberg
Boeser

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Although I'm not a huge fan of rentals and using picks, but if this team is comfortably in 4-6th place in the league, I think I'd be okay moving it.

Order of preference:
  1. If the Flyers fall out, Claude Giroux
  2. If Dallas doesn't improve, Joe Pavelski
  3. If he doesn't sign longterm, because that's all this team knows how to do, Tomas Hertl.

I think all three guys slot into that 2C role that would make Calgary infinitely deeper, and much harder to match-up with. All three guys are 'Sutter' mold players; 200-foot guys that you can in theory play in each zone.

I think outside of Hertl, the other two you have a chance to keep a bit longer too if that's what they want to do (like, for example, if Calgary went to the finals, I think G and Pavelski would be open to staying for a couple more seasons).

Lines things up a bit better, and makes things a lot messier to deal with.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
  • Can continue to be a line that dominates play and controls the puck all night.
Mangiapane - Giroux/Pavelski/Hertl - Coleman
  • Giroux and Mangiapane would be a first line on 50% of the teams in the NHL, G's had 40+ (pro-rated in some cases) assists since 2010. Think about that. Think about one of our best scorers with a nose for the net, and a guy who can just get him the puck. Coleman provides the juice on the line.
Dube - Backlund - Pitlick
  • Match'em up anywhere, against anyone, play them 17 minutes a night, can maybe even chip in a bit; this has a big playoff goal written on it to be honest.
Lucic - Richardson/Monahan - Lewis
  • Preference would be to find Monahan a new home somewhere. That cap needs to open up, and he's going to lose his PP time to the guy we bring in anyway. Richardson is a perfectly capable fourth line centre. And if the line above it had 'playoff heroics' kind of feel to it, this one has that character feel; like someone's going to do something important if they go on a run.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The thought of getting someone like Boeser on this team makes me salivate. Play finishing RW (that can create plays from what I've seen) sounds exactly like what this roster needs. Either with Gaudreau (I don't even want to think about how nasty Gaudreau - x -Boeser would be) or with Backlund and Mang. Only worry is acquisition cost, as always, and the fact that he would be another FA onto the list in the offseason, likely meaning we have to really offload Lucic and Monahan to get everyone under cap.

Another interesting name in a similar spot is Fiala. Can't say I know a lot about his game, skill based with hot and cold stretches is all I can really say, but as a natural top 6 RWer he's certainly an option.

Otherwise I really hope the Flames look at some Motte/Trevore Moore type guys to supplement the bottom 6 either this year or in FA. I'd solidly call them Hathaway-adjacent in terms of being max-effort smart defensive guys that you can swallow playing up in the lineup, so they serve as being solid in their role AND as injury depth.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Although I'm not a huge fan of rentals and using picks, but if this team is comfortably in 4-6th place in the league, I think I'd be okay moving it.

Order of preference:
  1. If the Flyers fall out, Claude Giroux
  2. If Dallas doesn't improve, Joe Pavelski
  3. If he doesn't sign longterm, because that's all this team knows how to do, Tomas Hertl.

I think all three guys slot into that 2C role that would make Calgary infinitely deeper, and much harder to match-up with. All three guys are 'Sutter' mold players; 200-foot guys that you can in theory play in each zone.

I think outside of Hertl, the other two you have a chance to keep a bit longer too if that's what they want to do (like, for example, if Calgary went to the finals, I think G and Pavelski would be open to staying for a couple more seasons).

Lines things up a bit better, and makes things a lot messier to deal with.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
  • Can continue to be a line that dominates play and controls the puck all night.
Mangiapane - Giroux/Pavelski/Hertl - Coleman
  • Giroux and Mangiapane would be a first line on 50% of the teams in the NHL, G's had 40+ (pro-rated in some cases) assists since 2010. Think about that. Think about one of our best scorers with a nose for the net, and a guy who can just get him the puck. Coleman provides the juice on the line.
Dube - Backlund - Pitlick
  • Match'em up anywhere, against anyone, play them 17 minutes a night, can maybe even chip in a bit; this has a big playoff goal written on it to be honest.
Lucic - Richardson/Monahan - Lewis
  • Preference would be to find Monahan a new home somewhere. That cap needs to open up, and he's going to lose his PP time to the guy we bring in anyway. Richardson is a perfectly capable fourth line centre. And if the line above it had 'playoff heroics' kind of feel to it, this one has that character feel; like someone's going to do something important if they go on a run.
Giroux takes a lot of faceoffs, and is one of the best faceoff guys in the league, but he doesn't really play the centre position otherwise, not sure if that matters for your scenario, but he's more of a winger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig